Sponsored by:

Thoughts on moving into a 991.2...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:26 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
.....which is itself only marginally better than a 718......
Honestly, this is well off the mark, it really is

They are very different driving experiences, one is open and airy the other is close and tight fitting (even though there is very little size difference). They feel very different too, hewn from granite versus light and nimble.

I'm a great fan of the Cayman, I own a 981 GTS and I know the 718S is an excellent car - I tracked a 718S back to back with a M2 last Sept (over three days) and the 718S wiped the floor with the M2 both in terms of feel and engine response.

However, the 991.2S is in a different league again - the difference is very noticeable. The 991.2 C2S is a much more rewarding drive (and in the hands of a good driver can easily dog a GT3). The 718/981 is very easy to drive but less rewarding - truly, a first world problem.

I know this for a fact as, less than a week ago, I did my first full track day outing in my personal .2S and put over 4.5s a lap on my 981 GTS (both have Dorians and both are running N1 spec P zeros). - the difference between the 718S would be a bit less ~ 3s - these are huge differences

Whilst the OP may have little interest in lap times - the components that add to large differences in lap times can be felt e.g. braking/grip/acceleration etc.

Last edited by randr; 04-11-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
That 993 is gorgeous! But as a DD and/or a frequent GT/sports car then the new 991.2 is all that and more! Hey I'm a fan of classic aircooled Pcars but they do have their limitations & nuances... after all it's technology from at least two decades ago. If it's feasible... pairing up a newer 991 to a classic 993 is a win-win combo in my book. Good luck!
That would be excellent but the pocket book / budget may not support it!

Originally Posted by subshooter
Since you already have two Porsches and you are a Porsche fanatic, I would never let go of the 993....if just to go out in the garage and look at it and have the bragging rights. I think the car combo that you are considering: 718 Spyder, 993 and a Tercel just work.

Opinions all over the map on this thread.....you will have to make it. Win/win so no worries.
There is no question it is a BEAUTIFUL design. And the 981 Cayman, also a Tony Hatter design, is not far behind. I think the 991.2 also really hits it on the mark. I was observing a white on Saturday at a DE event and thought it looked great.

Originally Posted by Bossing
Yes. I believed in Tommy, Justin, Danny and Patrick... that's why I also bought one and now I agree even more. It's definitely evolutionary but still certainly iconic.
Very. Thanks for the links. I watched them all.

Originally Posted by kayjh
They also have a white C4S for a few thousand more. In Vancouver, with the rain and if you drive it through the winter as a DDsome snow, especially at upper elevations in Whistler) , something I'd definitely consider.

I've test driven the older cars and while they were more "raw", at my older age, I'll take a bit more comfort in a daily driver in the form of a 991.2 over the earlier cars, as beautiful and pure as they are.

But if the dealer will let you, take one out over night and see what you think for yourself.
I may have a look at the C4S but the colour combo of the GT Silver / Bordeaux black is stunning. I'll probably head out there sometime this week...

Originally Posted by Mark-991.2
Get the 991.2, the silver with the red is simply a stunning car.
Totally.

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Please be aware that moving to a 911 isn't easy, lots of compromises !

I have yet to find if there is a bathroom in mine. I had to pee so bad I had to use a empty bottle of Gatorade. I felt like a contortionist.
LOL. Like a day trader! (errr... thanks for the tip!)

Originally Posted by Norsk
Keep the 993. If something has to go, make it the Cayman, or sell a kidney.
Just keep the 993.
Not a bad idea!

Originally Posted by niche
991.2 s. Way to go. And I've had 993s. Life's too short to stay with one car. Let someone else be the museum curator.
I totally hear you. There is some truth to what you say.

Originally Posted by Cayman7
I have a similar (but quite different) dilemma. Currently have a '14 Cayman S and a '93 3rd gen RX-7 which I've had since new. Although certainly not of the stature of your 993, the RX-7 is somewhat iconic in the JDM world at this point. I've also been considering a 991.2, but what to do with the current stable? I could sell the RX-7and keep the Cayman, sell the Cayman and keep the RX-7, or sell both and get down to 3 cars that'll fit in the garage w/o having to store the RX-7 for the winter.

But then I drive the Cayman and think, damn, this car is good! And the RX-7 is just like a piece of art to me, I think I'd really regret letting it go after 24 years. This car guy stuff is really tough sometimes

BTW, I love the Tercel reference! Gotta be of a certain age to remember that one!
It's very difficult but is the cross we bare! The RX-7 is still and GREAT looking car.

Originally Posted by Daekwan
I've never understood 'collecting' cars. They were meant to be driven, thats why they have an engine and 4 wheels. While the 993 was fantastic.. nostalgia only goes so far. Even less when we are talking about a daily driver that should rack up 1000's of miles every year. I'd say get the 991.2 simply because your much more likely to drive the car and enjoy the latest improvements than you would the combination of two vehicles you already have. Not to mention.. what is life without trying something new. About the only thing that is ever guaranteed in life.. is that tomorrow will always be different than today.
You know, now having done the multiple car thing, you speak some truth. At one one I was up to five, with three of them being Porsches. I always felt bad about not driving one, like I was leaving a dog in a kennel that wanted so badly to go for a run! And they all need servicing etc... For my stage in life, a family and growing a business, I found it exhausting. So thus I am down not to just two Porsches and enjoy this, providing the C2S starts when I go to use it. I think I've got that figured out now.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Having seen the specs of the 991.2 C2S, if the price is right for you, get it.

No brainer.
Nice. Time for a test drive!

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Tell it to Jay Leno. At least until he figures out how to drive more than one at a time.
That he does and his posse of helpers...

What you say is not necessarily untrue, but it's a false equivalence.

a) He doesn't just let the 993C2S sit and molder in the garage.
b) He already has a pretty good DD base Cayman
c) He has a much faster 718 Spider incoming.

It seems to me that a 993C2S and 718 Spider make a much more compelling driving argument than a 991.2, which is itself only marginally better than a 718 and much more like the Boxster than the 993 is.

So a search for real variety would be to own a Spider and an older 911.
This is what may be a close to the ultimate solution as one can get.

Originally Posted by crossroads
In theory it is compelling to keep the 993 but in practice I would probably not drive it very often after I had a 991. I had a 993 which I sold prior to buying my current car. The driving experience is still similar being a rear engined car but much more refined with better creature comforts. The 991 is so enjoyable to drive that the 993 would just stayed parked most of he time.

Do I miss the 993? Yes, but not that much to get another one even as a second sports car. 993 C2's and C2S's are not that rare or unique to justify the time and expense it takes to maintain them properly. If I were to get an air cooler, I would rather get a long hood. Then, I could justify the added time and effort.

Good luck!
Thanks for you thoughts and understand totally.

Originally Posted by randr
Honestly, this is well off the mark, it really is

They are very different driving experiences, one is open and airy the other is close and tight fitting (even though there is very little size difference). They feel very different too, hewn from granite versus light and nimble.

I'm a great fan of the Cayman, I own a 981 GTS and I know the 718S is an excellent car - I tracked a 718S back to back with a M2 last Sept (over three days) and the 718S wiped the floor with the M2 both in terms of feel and engine response.

However, the 991.2S is in a different league again - the difference is very noticeable. The 991.2 C2S is a much more rewarding drive (and in the hands of a good driver can easily dog a GT3). The 718/981 is very easy to drive but less rewarding - truly, a first world problem.

I know this for a fact as, less than a week ago, I did my first full track day outing in my personal .2S and put over 4.5s a lap on my 981 GTS (both have Dorians and both are running N1 spec P zeros). - the difference between the 718S would be a bit less ~ 3s - these are huge differences

Whilst the OP may have little interest in lap times - the components that add to large differences in lap times can be felt e.g. braking/grip/acceleration etc.
Time for a test drive. I did a DE event this last Saturday and get spinning tires out of the gate and was trounced by 911's in the day-ending trials. Just saying that I do appreciate the mammoth grip the 911's have. I can only imagine how good the 991.2's are.

Again, time for a test drive!
Old 04-11-2017, 06:42 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

I think many of us are missing the point. If you have a 718 spider coming, you have a vehicle that is very similar to a 991, only a little smaller and a little slower. Kind of a 7/8 or maybe 15/16 991. And a convertible of course.

In the 993 you have a car that is about as different from a 991 while still seeming somewhat modern, as you can get in the 911 lineup. So the choice is to have a full-scale 991 period, or a 15/16 scale 991 convertible plus a very different driving experience historically significant 993 from 20 years ago. That second option makes all the sense in the world to me unless I'm trying to set FTOD at the local lap days or something, when 15/16 might not quite be enough.

I agree completely that if we are confining ourselves to one or the other, a 991 versus a 993 as my only sports car, that's a much tougher decision.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

I think many of us are missing the point. If you have a 718 spider coming, you have a vehicle that is very similar to a 991, only a little smaller and a little slower. Kind of a 7/8 or maybe 15/16 991. And a convertible of course.

In the 993 you have a car that is about as different from a 991 while still seeming somewhat modern, as you can get in the 911 lineup. So the choice is to have a full-scale 991 period, or a 15/16 scale 991 convertible plus a very different driving experience historically significant 993 from 20 years ago. That second option makes all the sense in the world to me unless I'm trying to set FTOD at the local lap days or something, when 15/16 might not quite be enough.

I agree completely that if we are confining ourselves to one or the other, a 991 versus a 993 as my only sports car, that's a much tougher decision.
And that my friend is what I too believe may be the magical combination of the 718 Spyder as a drop top DD and the 98 for a slower, albeit in it's own way more dramatic, air-cooled ride.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I really appreciate your thoughts and contributions. My next task to go and drive a 991.2 and see what the fuss is really all about.

From my Macan experience I've concluded I'm really not a fan of a lot of driving nannies, and in fact I found them rather irritating. I hope the 991.2 isn't like that. I hear reports that the electrical steering feel is getting better and better so that is something to look forward to.

And after my Macan GTS experience of agonizing over the colour and option list and then waiting and being somewhat disappointed on it's arrival I swore I'd never buy new again but stick to my tried and true purchasing habit of letting the first guy take the hit and buy a low mileage off-a-lease car. But who knows what happens when you waltz into the dealership and fire up that 991.2. You guys had that happened I know - I've read about it here!

So thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Zeus993; 04-12-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:51 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

You know, Zeus, I've been thinking and I believe I steered you wrong. Sell that 993 and you get 30, maybe 35,000 bucks to put towards a 991.2. PM me and we'll take this off-line.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

You know, Zeus, I've been thinking and I believe I steered you wrong. Sell that 993 and you get 30, maybe 35,000 bucks to put towards a 991.2. PM me and we'll take this off-line.
PM'd...
Old 04-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
Wow $106,000 or so US Dollar MSRP for a well-equipped S. You Canadians are so lucky
The odd thing is that we make the same total $$ but in... yep, you guessed it, Canadian dollars. So the price value only makes sense if you make USDs and buy in CNDs. See what I mean?
Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Contrarian voice here, because I feel like getting abused today i guess : Yes, the 993 is gorgeous... I had one, but sell it and don't look back.

I never got the big hoopla about it... It had issues (squeaky windshield, secondary air ports coking up$$$, valve guides, fan relays, immobilizer, awful showcks, quiet exhaust), it was very linear in power delivery and not super exciting (to me), and my main beef was the interior looked 99% like my 1983 911SC that it replaced, with a few extra warning lights in the dash (which lit up a lot), a 6th gear and marginally better AC... What I'm saying is that IMO it's one of the prettiest cars Porsche ever made, absolutely, but if you've owned one for a while, can sell it for $$$$ because of this crazy market, and hardly drive it, go ahead and sell !! By the way those cars go for way more than posted above, way way more.. We're not talking about you selling a 1968 911R here, worst case you could always buy one back and never drive that one ;-)

The 991.2 is a fantabulous car in comparison. Thoroughly modern interior, more comfortable, way way faster with gobs of torque, all sorts of modern gadgets that actually are cool like carplay or NAV in the cluster, and more to the point, the 991 handling is more like a Cayman now than it ever was so you will love it....

I'm not trying to be mean to the C2S - gorgeous car - but to help you move on... When I look back at all my old porsches, the one I miss is the 356C (and that's more of an emotional thing than actual driving). The 993 was achingly pretty but as far as driving it, I much prefer a cayman or 991 - the 993's kinda stuck in between old classics and modern 911s, neither totally one nor the other... I'm likely alone in that opinion but it was the most disappointing 911 I owned (ducking now), mostly because it set expectations so high by being so gorgeous ! Test drive a 991 ;-)

Last edited by GregD; 04-13-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by GregD
--the 993's kinda stuck in between old classics and modern 911s, neither totally one nor the other... I'm likely alone in that opinion ...
Not at all. Even though I've been the big proponent of keeping the C2S on here, in an offline convo with Zeus I sorta alluded to the same thing. i.e., if I were to go back from a 991 with my next purchase (a distinct, even likely event), it would be to the best 3.2 for sale in the U.S. at that time, probably in Guards/Black. I'd even prefer the 915 box for that matter. I want my old cars to drive like old cars -- excellent old cars, but old cars nonetheless. For me, both visually and mechanically, the 993 is too old to be modern, yet too modern to feel old yet.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im with everyone else, do not let that 993 go. You will regret it and it's a 993 for gosh sakes
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Not to take anything away from the 993, but if I had my druthers, there would be a 1972 911S coupe sitting next to my 991.2 in the garage.

That really was the original that demanded full driver attention and constant shifting all of the time. No sport exhaust necessary.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:37 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Ok. Epic Porsche day. I had a few spare moments and drove out in my 981 Cayman (car # 1) and took this stunning 991.2 C2S for a GREAT drive (car #2) then took sales associate's new 991.2 C (car #3), then drove back in the 981 and drove a 987.2 Guards Red Boxster Spyder (car #4) that a PCAer is looking at and finally hoped in my 993 (car #5) and boogied it back to the man cave. WHAT AN EXCELLENT DAY! 😃

Now for impressions of the 991.2. I think I was expecting it to be a tame GS car but this was far from the truth. It's more raw than I expected. It barked when I fired it up. I ran it through it paces in both Sport and Sport Plus and bamm - this thing has some skootch. Coming from the 2.7 Cayman NA as a comparison I can perceive two zones of slight turbo lag - one out of the gate and the other up around 4500 rpms (2nd turbo kicking in?) but these in no way distracted me from the beautiful swell of power, the sublime exhaust note and the superb handling. Verdict? It's a GREAT car and worthy of it's 911 moniker. If I did not have two others I would have signed today. No question.

Now for the bad news. I'm upside down on a trade by a chunk IF I go with the dealership and get wholesale prices for the 981 and the 993. So for now... I stick with what I've got (which is anything from bad!) and see what I can come up with. And interestingly enough I did have a blast driving the 981 Cayman HARD on the way out to the dealership and back. It's a fantastic car in it's own right.

Here's a few pics of the 991.2. Thanks again for everyone's input. And the show isn't over yet...
Name:  IMG_2178.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  297.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2180.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  352.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2190.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  295.7 KB
Old 04-16-2017, 11:57 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What did the dealer offer for the 993? If you don't feel comfortable or willing to make this info public, I understand. I'm not in the market for a 993 buying or selling, just my own curiosity.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crossroads
What did the dealer offer for the 993? If you don't feel comfortable or willing to make this info public, I understand. I'm not in the market for a 993 buying or selling, just my own curiosity.
Obviously dealers have to make some money but the offer on the 993 was way off. I think they have one they are trying to sell that they dumped a TON of money into. So they were WAY off by about 25% of the retail price for a 60K mile, 1998 C2S in excellent condition.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on moving into a 991.2...