Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on moving into a 991.2...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

That 993 is gorgeous! But as a DD and/or a frequent GT/sports car then the new 991.2 is all that and more! Hey I'm a fan of classic aircooled Pcars but they do have their limitations & nuances... after all it's technology from at least two decades ago. If it's feasible... pairing up a newer 991 to a classic 993 is a win-win combo in my book. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:46 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Since you already have two Porsches and you are a Porsche fanatic, I would never let go of the 993....if just to go out in the garage and look at it and have the bragging rights. I think the car combo that you are considering: 718 Spyder, 993 and a Tercel just work.

Opinions all over the map on this thread.....you will have to make it. Win/win so no worries.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Options? Spec sheet?
Here's the link: https://porschelangley.com/inventory...tallic+1011496

Originally Posted by kayjh
Just get it! Awesome colour and interior, Sport Pack, 14 Way, Premium Package Plus, etc. What is not to like?
Stunning colour combo in person. Beautiful

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
^^^ What's "not to like" is giving up a 993 C2freakin'S for it. In a beautiful and unusual color.

As a man with a GT Silver-over-black/garnet red 991, I say no way.

Here's why; I'd understand if you said "The C2S is not a good DD anymore, and besides I need to preserve it -- they're not making anymore. So it sits in my garage under a cover and I drive a Toyota Tercel every day." You could convince me with that argument.

But you have a great DD in the Cayman. So you can enjoy the C2S exactly when and how you want, and still enjoy a Cayman the rest of the time.

If I were to make a change to that formula, it would be to trade the 14 Cayman on a 13 Cayman S plus a little scratch, or a Cayman S with higher miles, or something like that if you didn't want to put any cash into your fleet. Or, go backwards to a 987 Cayman R or Boxster Spyder.

Scratch that -- Spyder is NOT a good DD.

Anyway, I'm against the plan.
10-4 and thanks. As you can see by my signature I did own a d gen-1 Spyder and LOVED it BUT it was not a DD. I had to thin the herd a bit and chose to let it go in favour of the Cayman, which is an excellent DD.

Originally Posted by SG1214
Im with NoGaBiker on this one, That 993 C2S needs to stay in your garage.
I do agree with you there!

Originally Posted by visitador
Wow $106,000 or so US Dollar MSRP for a well-equipped S. You Canadians are so lucky
Crazy good time for US folks to buy Canadian.

Originally Posted by dflowerz
I would hold off until you get the Spyder. I have a 991.2 C2S and love it, but it is my first and only 911.
I think that may the plan in the end. The newer 981 Spyder is a better DD and the 718 Spyder? Who knows but I can only imagine it will be even better.

Originally Posted by randr
I guess it depends on your outlook - I don't see cars as particularly good investments and much prefer to drive them lots and hard too. I do appreciate "older" cars, but from a distance. In reality they are a PITA to own unless you have plenty of time and patience to deal with them.

Thus, I am in the camp of get the 991.2 C2S - its a total bast to drive and the apparent spec of the car above right down to the de-badging is near perfect. Good luck with what ever you may decide, ultimately there is no right or wrong choice - just the best that suits your needs and outlook
And this... I have to agree with. I love the C2S and we started out strong in the relationship and then electrical gremlins started to show up and many times it wouldn't start. This made the use of it more of an "event" rather than just a hop into it for a good romp. An alternator and voltage regulator later and a clean up of the idling valve and a battery tender it runs like a champ. But I totally agree that they need time and patience which I am short of at the moment.

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Keep the 993. I doubt 991.2 will be as collectible or coveted as 993. As a teenager I had a 993 poster on my wall. I doubt very many 991 posters made their way into teenage bedrooms.

I love my 991 but I question if it will have the same effect as a 993 in 20 years.
Most likely not. And I don't really look at the 993 so much like that either. They made a bunch of them but it is the last of the air-cooled and it has that "drama" when you drive it.

Originally Posted by MagicRat
If the tooth fairy showed up and told me I could add to my collection either that (deeply tasteful imo) 991.2 or your two cars, I would choose your two cars. Might not be helpful for your situation of course but just what I would do in mine.
Again, all opinions welcome! As I mentioned I am in a pretty good position. And when the sun comes out and we get those long warm summer days I may be looking for the bolt cutter to take the top off the Cayman.

Originally Posted by NF4710
Agree with others here the 993 is awesome. I do think it's near the peak of its value though so if you are ever going to sell it this might be the time.

Cheers,
NF
It's going to be interesting to watch isn't it. Certainly the prices have leveled off BUT there's still a few baby-boomers left with the some years to enjoy them so I think the prices will make another jump this year. Just my 2 cents CND.

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Beautiful, but what's with the bizarre blurring on the driver's RVM and window glass?
That's the owner before me that sent me the pic. He photo-shopped himself out but it's such a beautiful shot I thought I'd use it.

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I would go for catching up on a lot of years and tech.
And that my friend is the other side of the argument. Even my 14 base Cayman is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the 993. It's remarkable to think that Porsche was manufacturing the last of the 993 C2S's in the factory at the same time new 996's were coming off the line. The 996 was miles ahead of the 993 so I can only imagine what the 991.2's are like.

A question to all of you is this - does the 991.2, despite all the turbos, PASM, RAS etc.., still retain enough of the DNA and drama of the 991 legacy to be an engaging drive?
Old 04-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
A question to all of you is this - does the 991.2, despite all the turbos, PASM, RAS etc.., still retain enough of the DNA and drama of the 991 legacy to be an engaging drive?
Yes. I believed in Tommy, Justin, Danny and Patrick... that's why I also bought one and now I agree even more. It's definitely evolutionary but still certainly iconic.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:58 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 683 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Here's the link: https://porschelangley.com/inventory...tallic+1011496

They also have a white C4S for a few thousand more. In Vancouver, with the rain and if you drive it through the winter as a DDsome snow, especially at upper elevations in Whistler) , something I'd definitely consider.

I've test driven the older cars and while they were more "raw", at my older age, I'll take a bit more comfort in a daily driver in the form of a 991.2 over the earlier cars, as beautiful and pure as they are.

But if the dealer will let you, take one out over night and see what you think for yourself.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Mark-991.2
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the 991.2, the silver with the red is simply a stunning car.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:58 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Please be aware that moving to a 911 isn't easy, lots of compromises !

I have yet to find if there is a bathroom in mine. I had to pee so bad I had to use a empty bottle of Gatorade. I felt like a contortionist.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

Keep the 993. If something has to go, make it the Cayman, or sell a kidney.
Just keep the 993.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:00 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

991.2 s. Way to go. And I've had 993s. Life's too short to stay with one car. Let someone else be the museum curator.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Cayman7
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a similar (but quite different) dilemma. Currently have a '14 Cayman S and a '93 3rd gen RX-7 which I've had since new. Although certainly not of the stature of your 993, the RX-7 is somewhat iconic in the JDM world at this point. I've also been considering a 991.2, but what to do with the current stable? I could sell the RX-7and keep the Cayman, sell the Cayman and keep the RX-7, or sell both and get down to 3 cars that'll fit in the garage w/o having to store the RX-7 for the winter.

But then I drive the Cayman and think, damn, this car is good! And the RX-7 is just like a piece of art to me, I think I'd really regret letting it go after 24 years. This car guy stuff is really tough sometimes

BTW, I love the Tercel reference! Gotta be of a certain age to remember that one!
Old 04-11-2017, 12:34 AM
Daekwan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never understood 'collecting' cars. They were meant to be driven, thats why they have an engine and 4 wheels. While the 993 was fantastic.. nostalgia only goes so far. Even less when we are talking about a daily driver that should rack up 1000's of miles every year. I'd say get the 991.2 simply because your much more likely to drive the car and enjoy the latest improvements than you would the combination of two vehicles you already have. Not to mention.. what is life without trying something new. About the only thing that is ever guaranteed in life.. is that tomorrow will always be different than today.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Having seen the specs of the 991.2 C2S, if the price is right for you, get it.

No brainer.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan
I've never understood 'collecting' cars. They were meant to be driven, thats why they have an engine and 4 wheels. While the 993 was fantastic.. nostalgia only goes so far. Even less when we are talking about a daily driver that should rack up 1000's of miles every year.
Tell it to Jay Leno. At least until he figures out how to drive more than one at a time.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:56 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan
I've never understood 'collecting' cars. They were meant to be driven, thats why they have an engine and 4 wheels. While the 993 was fantastic.. nostalgia only goes so far. Even less when we are talking about a daily driver that should rack up 1000's of miles every year. I'd say get the 991.2 simply because your much more likely to drive the car and enjoy the latest improvements than you would the combination of two vehicles you already have. Not to mention.. what is life without trying something new. About the only thing that is ever guaranteed in life.. is that tomorrow will always be different than today.
What you say is not necessarily untrue, but it's a false equivalence.

a) He doesn't just let the 993C2S sit and molder in the garage.
b) He already has a pretty good DD base Cayman
c) He has a much faster 718 Spider incoming.

It seems to me that a 993C2S and 718 Spider make a much more compelling driving argument than a 991.2, which is itself only marginally better than a 718 and much more like the Boxster than the 993 is.

So a search for real variety would be to own a Spider and an older 911.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:20 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In theory it is compelling to keep the 993 but in practice I would probably not drive it very often after I had a 991. I had a 993 which I sold prior to buying my current car. The driving experience is still similar being a rear engined car but much more refined with better creature comforts. The 991 is so enjoyable to drive that the 993 would just stayed parked most of he time.

Do I miss the 993? Yes, but not that much to get another one even as a second sports car. 993 C2's and C2S's are not that rare or unique to justify the time and expense it takes to maintain them properly. If I were to get an air cooler, I would rather get a long hood. Then, I could justify the added time and effort.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on moving into a 991.2...