Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: 2016 Range Rover (screw in the tire)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:31 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: 2016 Range Rover (screw in the tire)

Please don't be upset---this is not about 991-s'''I have one and spend most of my time on this forum---

I'm getting ready to pick up friends at John Wayne Airport Sunday morning...I walk down my driveway to pick up the newspaper(yes I still get home delivery ). As I walked up my driveway to my chariot in waiting (2016 Range Rover Supercharged) I see a tiny glimmer peaking out from the Passenger Rear tire from 15 ft away....could it be a screw ??? Yes----So I confirm it is a screw and not in the sidewall...and I can go to my Big O shop and get a quick patch....or so I thought.
It turns out that OE Range Rover tires are Contisilent----meaning they have a layer of foam inside the tire (glued in place) the entire length of the tire---Big O said are they Run flats? I said Heck No, who would buy a car with runflats( the biggest piece of bs ever forced on consumers in the name of "lighter weight" and supposed convenience.....Run Flats are horrible and I would like to serve a glass of my bodies liquid by product to the RD team that proposed Run FLats as a solution....sorry ---I needed to vent. After experiencing the joys of BMW runflats, I swore off BMW after purachasing maybe 15 BMW's over the years...I made a statement : "I will never own any car with runflats". What I didn't anticipate is another gift from tire manufacturers----silent tires....Basically, some tire shops will not repair these tires---to much work and little knowledge about how to fix---

So I decided to get a plug and fix myself temporarily....I read an article in a car magazine earlier this year about quiet tires and the results were pretty bad---no real difference....Now that I got home and researched how to fix a ContiSilent tire...maybe I can get another shop to fix? Maybe not---

Consider this before you purchase a Range Rover or ContiSilent tires...it adds complexity and anxiety to a simple tire patch---The guys at Big O were very nice and offered to let me use their car to pick up my friends...They just didn't want to get fired Monday morning when the Range Rover tire they fixed---didn't work.

Beware of Silent Tires---They can be a hassle to fix

Cheers
Old 04-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Pitocin
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wife drives a 2014 Range Rover supercharged with 22" rims and continental tires. We unfortunately got a nail in the tire about 2 months ago and we just took it to the LR dealer and the patched the hole from the inside. Best part it was only $30! I couldn't believe something from the dealership was reasonably priced.

Quick Reply: OT: 2016 Range Rover (screw in the tire)