Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual vs. PDK? Maybe this will help you decide.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 02:04 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Manual vs. PDK? Maybe this will help you decide.

This was posted by a friend on Facebook. Manual transmissions really are a Millenial theft deterrent!
Hillsborough, North Carolina Police Department
April 7 at 5:35pm ˇ
Police Activity in Bank of America Lot - Suspect in custody! Officers received a report of an attempted robbery that turned out to be an attempted car theft - the suspect got in the car and tried to drive away... but apparently could not drive a stick shift! He jumped out and ran. Citizens chased him and helped officers locate and apprehend him hiding at a home on Queen St.! Great job all around and thank to the citizens who helped locate and identify the suspect in only a few short minutes!
Old 04-09-2017, 02:10 PM
junk988
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Houston, Texas, on March 11

"A father was shot and killed in front of his wife and 10-year-old daughter after being carjacked because the killer didn’t know how to use a manual transmission, police said."
Old 04-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Land mines are also a Millennial theft deterrent.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Jrod
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't surprise me at all because for a lot of "millennials" common sense doesn't exist. Hmmm since I don't know how to drive a standard maybe I should take a gander inside to see if it isn't an auto trans? Lack of common sense is just one of the side effects of a generation of folks that don't think for themselves and get a trophy just for breathing.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:44 PM
lkoury
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

It's also a 'wife driving your 911' deterrent.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:56 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 668 Posts

And a college student car lending deterrent.

Since I am very old school, I made both kids learn to drive in MT cars (and do basic maintenance). When my daughter commandeered our Subaru during her sophomore year, I worried a bit about the motor pool she shared with her friends. But it turned out that none of them, including her boyfriend, could drive the MT.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:29 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,229 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
And a college student car lending deterrent.

Since I am very old school, I made both kids learn to drive in MT cars (and do basic maintenance). When my daughter commandeered our Subaru during her sophomore year, I worried a bit about the motor pool she shared with her friends. But it turned out that none of them, including her boyfriend, could drive the MT.
The boyfriend, however, will be learning how to drive a MT with the Subie
Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Almost 10 years ago our house got broken into. Cayman S was sitting in the driveway. Asked the police why they didn't take it (vs. the one TV they did take). Response: "It's a stick shift. They can't drive sticks."
Old 04-10-2017, 04:03 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by lkoury
It's also a 'wife driving your 911' deterrent.
++Kids too! I tried to teach them on my last Audi but noooooooooo.
Works for me.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Happened to me in Houston. Nice Mayday, windows down, sitting at a stop light in the Galleria area. Guy comes up to the car, puts a gun to my head, says get out. Amazed the guy was able to leave the light, had no idea how to shift. Got through the intersection, went to shift, and suddenly pulled over and ran. ��������
Old 04-11-2017, 12:32 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
The boyfriend, however, will be learning how to drive a MT with the Subie
True enough. But then I had the pleasure of helping her (mostly just supervising and heavy lifting) when she replaced the clutch.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:41 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems to me that it should be considered a "theft deterrent system" by insurance companies, and results in a lower premium.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:00 AM
dawgsontop
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racemor
This was posted by a friend on Facebook. Manual transmissions really are a Millenial theft deterrent!
Hillsborough, North Carolina Police Department
April 7 at 5:35pm ˇ
Police Activity in Bank of America Lot - Suspect in custody! Officers received a report of an attempted robbery that turned out to be an attempted car theft - the suspect got in the car and tried to drive away... but apparently could not drive a stick shift! He jumped out and ran. Citizens chased him and helped officers locate and apprehend him hiding at a home on Queen St.! Great job all around and thank to the citizens who helped locate and identify the suspect in only a few short minutes!
Not sure why the hate for millenials. I'm a "millenial" and most of my cars to date have been sticks as were many of my good friends'.

Originally Posted by Jrod
Doesn't surprise me at all because for a lot of "millennials" common sense doesn't exist. Hmmm since I don't know how to drive a standard maybe I should take a gander inside to see if it isn't an auto trans? Lack of common sense is just one of the side effects of a generation of folks that don't think for themselves and get a trophy just for breathing.
Seems funny that "millenials" don't have common sense when in fact we were raised by people that fall in the "baby boomer" or "gen x" generations. Further, we didn't give the trophies to ourselves - our parents did. Who's to blame?

Ultimately, I'm not trying to call anyone out, just trying to point out that as homogenous as this forum typically is, there are people of other demographics that may not quite fit into the stereotypes you've formed for them and it would behoove people to think critically before lumping together a mass of ~75 million Americans.

Worth a watch for an (comedic) explanation as to why the term millenial is arbitrary and mostly worthless:
Old 04-11-2017, 11:59 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
Seems to me that it should be considered a "theft deterrent system" by insurance companies, and results in a lower premium.
Banked driveway?
Old 04-11-2017, 06:00 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Banked driveway?
Thanks for noticing
Yes finally got the Daytona Itl. Speedway look installed on the driveway

Was actually putting the Sharkwerks exhaust on the 911, so had it up in the air, and thought it was a cool shot with my Boxster in the foreground.

At my age, just about anything thrills.

Quick Reply: Manual vs. PDK? Maybe this will help you decide.