5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

One tire or two - or four?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 01:00 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

With the new PS4's out from Michelin you might want to consider those too... if available in the right sizes.

XL mean Extra-Load when applied to tires. I'd be worried they would ride more stiffly. (Edit: Changing opinion below)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Austin-Guy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
With the new PS4's out from Michelin you might want to consider those too... if available in the right sizes.

XL mean Extra-Load when applied to tires. I'd be worried they would ride more stiffly. (Edit: Changing opinion below)
Hmmm. I don't see any options that don't have XL? Even the PS4s say XL... and I would really like it to be the least "stiff" as possible
Old 04-03-2017, 01:06 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

Huh... Maybe you should ignore my previous XL comment... maybe that means something differently here. I was spouting stuff from my pickup truck world. It appears that all of the rear tires on tire rack for our car say XL. So never mind.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Austin-Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by StormRune
Huh... Maybe you should ignore my previous XL comment... maybe that means something differently here. I was spouting stuff from my pickup truck world. It appears that all of the rear tires on tire rack for our car say XL. So never mind.
Man the PS4s rear are over 410.00 so wouldn't be covered under the warranty..
Old 04-03-2017, 01:11 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I had the exact same issue in an identical location at 6k miles. 2 Indys would not plug it because they said it was too close to the sidewall and they saw the car I was driving. I didn't even take it to a Porsche dealer because I knew they wouldn't do it.

The third Indy plugged it with a nod and a wink and no receipt. $20 bucks. The tire lasted until normal replacement at 18.5k miles.

If you need to replace it, replace both rears. No way would I replace only 1 with 10k miles of wear on them.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:13 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin-Guy
Looking for opinions on if only 1 tire is needed? Over the weekend I found a screw in my driver rear https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9833...ssue-tpms.html

Per the dealer this can't be repaired, so I'm looking at a replacement. My question is: all the tires are '14 and have less than 10k on them (not sure about the depth), so am I ok to just replace the one rear, or am I looking at both rear tires should be replaced situation? Or is now the time to just replace all 4 with new PS4S

FYI: I have MPSS with 305s on the rear so they are not cheap
Take it somewhere else. I dont see any reason they can't patch that. I'd replace two knowing they are 14.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:57 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

OP, I had the same situation. Screw was placed exactly as yours. It was not losing air. I called the dealer and they refused to patch a tire regardless of where the puncture was - period - no further discussion. They would however be happy to sell me two new ones...go figure!

Took the car to a local indy tire shop. They said the screw was very close the sidewall. However they would attempt a repair - no guarantees. Long story short...They found after pulling the screw that it in fact had not penetrated the tire. They put the wheel back on the car, no charge. I gave the tech a nice tip and was on my way. A year and 4k miles later, no problems.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:36 AM
Austin-Guy
Instructor

Well after a full day of debating, then checking my records that came with the car, CPO inspection of the tires, and checking the actual tires. I just placed an order on Tire Rack for all 4 tires.

New MPSSs on the way.. I would have gone with the new PS4s but they were NOT covered under the road hazard warranty since they are more than the allowed cost per tire
Old 04-04-2017, 12:42 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

I would get 2 new. Patch and keep he others in case of future mishaps.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:32 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin-Guy
Well after a full day of debating, then checking my records that came with the car, CPO inspection of the tires, and checking the actual tires. I just placed an order on Tire Rack for all 4 tires.

New MPSSs on the way.. I would have gone with the new PS4s but they were NOT covered under the road hazard warranty since they are more than the allowed cost per tire
You may want to consider ordering another set of rears as this tire may be discontinued before your (new) fronts have been worn. (As you probably know, on a 911, two sets of rears are required for each set of fronts.)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by david
You may want to consider ordering another set of rears as this tire may be discontinued before your (new) fronts have been worn. (As you probably know, on a 911, two sets of rears are required for each set of fronts.)
Interesting advice. I'm not sure this is necessary. For example, when the PS2s (great-great tire) was being replaced by the MPSS, the PS2s were still available for some time afterwards. But who knows for sure. Heck, it's always hard finding our 305/30/20 tires from April till September.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Austin-Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by david
I hadn't thought of that, but I never track my car, it's really only driven on the weekends, and I put about 5k miles a year on it. I should get around 20k miles (3-4yrs) and that's probably the time I'll be looking for a newer model..
Old 04-05-2017, 10:22 AM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
A good inside patch and plug will buy you some time until both need to be changed. Most Porsche dealers won't do it though.

If changing this tire out, should do BOTH rears.

It's amazing how good these ties are at picking up nails and screws
What he said. I'd plugged many tires and still drove them at high speeds, even on my motorcycle.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:40 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

I've noticed what looks like small nails and wire stuck in the tread of my tires..... I just drive on.

Sometimes I'm shocked when I remove the wheels to replace tires to see a screw that had been driven on for 1000's of miles all warn down and smooth with no issues.

Have I been lucky ..... probably...... or these tires have great sealing capacity when punctured.

Quick Reply: One tire or two - or four?