Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13 Things You Didn't Know About 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017 | 10:44 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Originally Posted by KenTO
I ordered a base 991.2 Targa as a DD but it is loaded with options. I wanted a car with MT and my thinking was that with the MT I most likely wouldn't exploit the extra power in the S, I can only shift so fast.
What does that even mean?
Old 04-05-2017 | 12:05 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Hey, Mr. Tim, I really like your new disorder "tripolar." The US shrinks have a fairly new diagnostic manual (DSM-V), but I don't think they've got that one. Maybe we should claim it, with the third pole being the car-guy disease/disorder, then we could have sub-categories listed for Porsche, Ferrari, Aston, etc., and of course a parallel listing for bikes. I can see adding this to my next business card order, after the other acronyms about not being able to remember anything. How does "tpd" work?
Old 04-05-2017 | 09:11 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
What does that even mean?
Difference in 0-100 km for the Targa and Targa S is 0.3 sec in a MT (4.7 sec vs 4.4 sec). Average shifting time with a MT in normal driving is 500 msec. to 1 second, depending on the gear ratios (and obviously will be faster if you shift very aggressively.). In a MT transmission where my shift time can be a limiting factor, I didn't think an extra 0.3 sec for a MT S was worth it, considering my shift times with a MT. Also with the fat torque curve of the 991.2 I tended to shift earlier in the rev range, and didn't take advantage of all the extra HP available in the S. Combine that with the very tall gearing, and in normal day to day use with a MT the difference between the Targa and Targa S is negligible. Now I have ordered a 991.2 Targa GTS for July delivery, that with PDK will go 0-100 km in 3.7 sec., which will be a full second faster than my MT Targa 4. That will be noticeable.
Old 04-06-2017 | 12:45 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Originally Posted by KenTO
Difference in 0-100 km for the Targa and Targa S is 0.3 sec in a MT (4.7 sec vs 4.4 sec). Average shifting time with a MT in normal driving is 500 msec. to 1 second, depending on the gear ratios (and obviously will be faster if you shift very aggressively.). In a MT transmission where my shift time can be a limiting factor, I didn't think an extra 0.3 sec for a MT S was worth it, considering my shift times with a MT. Also with the fat torque curve of the 991.2 I tended to shift earlier in the rev range, and didn't take advantage of all the extra HP available in the S. Combine that with the very tall gearing, and in normal day to day use with a MT the difference between the Targa and Targa S is negligible. Now I have ordered a 991.2 Targa GTS for July delivery, that with PDK will go 0-100 km in 3.7 sec., which will be a full second faster than my MT Targa 4. That will be noticeable.
I guess my point was that there isn't much of a difference in 0-60 times in the base vs S vs GTS.
0 to 60 PDK
Base Targa 4.1
S Targa 3.8
GTS Targa 3.5

Not saying that the cars aren't going to feel different or that the GTS isn't worth it. However, in day to day driving there probably isn't too much of a difference between the cars. Saying all that, of course I went with the S!
BTW, congrats on the new car
Old 04-08-2017 | 04:31 AM
derf
Instructor

He forgot to list one of the biggest changes on the new 991.2 models in my book and that is you can finally city drive the PDK cars in Sport Plus auto.
No more auto shifting only at redline any longer.
I thought that was a big change and certainly could have been mentioned.

Quick Reply: 13 Things You Didn't Know About 991.2