Sponsored by:

Diminished value help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:55 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT951
OK, diminished value experts, handle this one for me.
1957 Speedster, immaculate, unrestored with all original perfect factory applied silver paint, beehive tail lights, complete original bumpers with uprights and overriders. Rear ended by an idiot text reader in a Cayenne. How do the destroyed bumpers, tail lights, body damage high and into the engine compartment, broken grille, damaged silver paint, untouched ever, now touched badly factor into its $450,000 value? What is the insurance company going to do?
Parts to fix still kill the value - Unfortunately the diminished value is likely greater than the insurance coverage of the defendant.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:35 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 390 Posts

Try contacting Billy at http://collisionsafetyconsultants.com/

I am working with him now and believe he's good but no results yet to substantiate that so far.

Good luck.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:27 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

My car was repaired to a high standard and I am happy with that. (New rear bumper cover) But the "other guys" insurance company said since they are not "required" by Missouri law to pay a diminished value claim, they will not. I have asked to speak to a manager and haven't had that conversation yet.

I spoke with a couple diminished value firms. One said that if the insurance says no, then there is nothing more he can do. The other is anxious to send a DV report to the insurance company ($275, refunded if the insurance doesn't pay) but I have to wonder what real weight that holds since they are not lawyers.

I'm interested to hear how some of the claims mentioned on this thread have turned out. Any suggestions on tactics would be appreciated. Hiring an attorney is not something I really want to deal with if I can avoid it but I do want to get some of the DV money I think I deserve. Are their lawyers that just deal with this type of case?
Old 07-01-2017, 06:24 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
My car was repaired to a high standard and I am happy with that. (New rear bumper cover) But the "other guys" insurance company said since they are not "required" by Missouri law to pay a diminished value claim, they will not. I have asked to speak to a manager and haven't had that conversation yet.

I spoke with a couple diminished value firms. One said that if the insurance says no, then there is nothing more he can do. The other is anxious to send a DV report to the insurance company ($275, refunded if the insurance doesn't pay) but I have to wonder what real weight that holds since they are not lawyers.

I'm interested to hear how some of the claims mentioned on this thread have turned out. Any suggestions on tactics would be appreciated. Hiring an attorney is not something I really want to deal with if I can avoid it but I do want to get some of the DV money I think I deserve. Are their lawyers that just deal with this type of case?
Getting diminished value can be a real challenge, since it seems that most Insurance companies will contest it. I live in MD and it took me a year to collect DV. Notwithstanding the police report which placed blame for the collision on the other driver, the other driver's Insurance company contested everything. The case initially went to binding arbitration, and of course I prevailed. In MD the loser of an arbitration case does not admit guilt.

I contacted an attorney who is a friend of mine and he suggested the Small Claims Court. His billing rate is $300 an hour and he told me that a tactic of Insurance companies is to swamp the suing party with paper work. At $300 an hour, you can see were the dollars will accumulate quickly and of course there is no certainty that you will prevail. My friend stated that no attorney will take a DV case on contingency.

So I had to initiate a case in Small Claims Court. I submitted the police report and a copy of a detailed diminished value appraisal report, and was awarded the maximum that is allowed in Small Claims Court in MD which is $5,000.

Bottom line is that collecting DV was a real PITA for me.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:17 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Bottom line is that collecting DV was a real PITA for me.
Thanks for the detailed, if disappointing, story. Makes me wonder if it's worth the fight. Ugh!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:45 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Can anyone suggest and attorney in the Miami area? The insurance company is contesting everything and I'm at the point where I need to go to small claims court, but would prefer to have an attorney represent me.

I already hired a firm to do the DV reports and send very professional requests to the insurance company, but they won't budge.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:57 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Can anyone suggest and attorney in the Miami area? The insurance company is contesting everything and I'm at the point where I need to go to small claims court, but would prefer to have an attorney represent me.

I already hired a firm to do the DV reports and send very professional requests to the insurance company, but they won't budge.
Who is the insurance company?

If you have to go to court then don't protect them. Shame them.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:54 PM
DIMINISHEDVALUE
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This firm send us a lot of work so it seems they are experienced in this type of litigation.

The Law Office of Fausto A. Rosales, P.A.
95 Merrick Way, 3rd Floor, Coral Gables, FL 33134
Old 07-01-2017, 10:10 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by stealthpilot

Allstate
Old 07-01-2017, 10:29 PM
fast1
Race Car

I can't speak for Miami, but in MD there is no need for an attorney for Small Claims Court. The process is kept quite simple and informal, at least in MD, so anyone can do it. In my case the Insurance Company was represented by an attorney, but it gave them no advantage whatsoever. As a matter of fact the Judge seemed to favor me in the proceedings and admonished the attorney on two occasions. In my case I presented the DV appraisal report along with the police report and the arbitration decision. My guess is that Insurance companies will contest everything in the hope that the injured party will decide that pursuing a DV claim is not worth the effort.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:49 AM
DIMINISHEDVALUE
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot

FYI and for everyone else interested in this subject of automobile diminished value, unless you are dealing with a quality insurance company like Chubb & Sons, you'll find the same unfortunately poor service from every large insurer. They will all attempt to either deny, mislead or low-ball you in almost every case. What I tell every potential client is that they need two things, a comprehensive appraisal that is not based on a formula, algorithm or simply an "expert" opinion AND persistence. PS: They have no shame.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:47 AM
susansmithfromho
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Skip the lawyer and try reaching out to Billy at http://collisionsafetyconsultants.com. I have recently engaged them on a DV claim and since it's still in process, I cannot (yet) vouch for his services, but what he says sounds good and he appears to be very experienced. I am in NJ, have GEICO, and was hit by a NJ State Trooper. I will surely let you and others know how it turns out. (Stranger, though, was the repair shop to which I brought my car was able to "negotiate" a repair claim for $29k, when I was told by that same shop a ballpark est. was ~$15k and another certified Porsche Collision center gave me a $12k est. I will be writing more about this experience soon, after I figure out what I am doing with the repair and how the DV claim goes.)
Just wondering how you made out with your diminished value claim?
Old 01-30-2018, 01:02 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by susansmithfromho
My claim is still ongoing.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:36 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by susansmithfromho
Nothing yet and NOT happy with the consultant I used, Collision Safety Consultants (Billy Walkowiak). I have a GREAT claim (NJ State Trooper drove his SUV straight into me...I was stopped, beeping my horn, and the Trooper even admitted to be looking the other way!

I am about to switch to another consultant, though haven't selected one yet.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:03 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Nothing yet and NOT happy with the consultant I used, Collision Safety Consultants (Billy Walkowiak). I have a GREAT claim (NJ State Trooper drove his SUV straight into me...I was stopped, beeping my horn, and the Trooper even admitted to be looking the other way!

I am about to switch to another consultant, though haven't selected one yet.
Good luck with your DV claim. In my case I didn't get any response until I initiated a Small Claims suit. The DV appraiser assessed a DV amount which exceeded the Small Claims Court max for my State, but since I couldn't find any lawyer who would take the case on contingency, I took the Small Claims route. A lawyer isn't required for Small Claims, and the process isn't that difficult to initiate. Nothing like a Court case to get an Insurance company's attention.

Quick Reply: Diminished value help