Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes swirl marks? [how they can be fixed and how to protect moving forward]

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation What causes swirl marks? [how they can be fixed and how to protect moving forward]

Hi Rennlist nation!

I just wrapped up on a big article that answers the very title of this thread. I wanted to take a moment to share it with all of you because no doubt, swirl marks and other defects in your paint is a concern. There is a lot of misinformation out there and I hope this is a fine point of reference for anyone with 5-10 minutes to read through the topic and make sure you're not doing anything that would cause damage to your fine Porsche(s)!

There was quite a bit of time and energy thrown at this piece and I sincerely hope you enjoy it. Feel free to fire off any questions you may have and I will do my best to help out!

What Causes Swirl Marks?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:56 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

Great job, Thanks.

Edit. Do you believe in using Iron removers?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9914s
Great job, Thanks.

Edit. Do you believe in using Iron removers?
You are very welcome.

Yes. It is a necessary step in decontamination.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:27 PM
Jrod
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome article! It's amazing how you do harm to your paint and not even know it. I just learned how to properly wash a car (2 bucket method) not to long ago. After that I went on to compound, polish and then wax all by hand it was pretty impressive results if you put the time into it.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:18 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Excellent write up with very useful information!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:48 AM
MrTim
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In My teenage years, I learned that lesson about cleaning, polishing and waxing by hand.

It made me the wealthiest Teenager in my area. $150-200 per detail, which took anywhere from 4 to 10 hours. That was $15 hr back in the $3.35 hr minimum wage era.

Result, Purchased a 76 3 liter Carrera Euro Spec, Loved that car, had no idea what I had until recently.

I should have forgone a college education and just been a detail guy. LOL Probably would be less stressed and lived a better life!!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:04 PM
MrTim
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But wanted to add, old age made me loose my point, it is definitely worth it to hire an experienced detailer. Plenty around today like this OP, whom do way better than a young kid. Especially with everyone being lazy anymore and trying to take shortcuts (i.e. using chemicals) that they have no knowledge of just to get done quickly.

People like the OP know all of the chemicals on the market today and use them properly and don't damage surface coatings like DIY or novice's like me when I started out.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:06 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

What are some good consumer sealants that you recommend?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:00 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

thanks for the post.... obviously you are sold on Modesta and it sounds pretty darn good... how do you feel it compares to GTecniq from the end user point of view? so not how it applies but how it wears, looks, lasts compared to GTechniq.....
Old 03-29-2017, 09:53 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jrod
Awesome article! It's amazing how you do harm to your paint and not even know it. I just learned how to properly wash a car (2 bucket method) not to long ago. After that I went on to compound, polish and then wax all by hand it was pretty impressive results if you put the time into it.
Thank you

Originally Posted by beaverlake
Excellent write up with very useful information!
Thank you

Originally Posted by MrTim
In My teenage years, I learned that lesson about cleaning, polishing and waxing by hand.

It made me the wealthiest Teenager in my area. $150-200 per detail, which took anywhere from 4 to 10 hours. That was $15 hr back in the $3.35 hr minimum wage era.

Result, Purchased a 76 3 liter Carrera Euro Spec, Loved that car, had no idea what I had until recently.

I should have forgone a college education and just been a detail guy. LOL Probably would be less stressed and lived a better life!!
I suppose that's relative. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Originally Posted by MrTim
But wanted to add, old age made me loose my point, it is definitely worth it to hire an experienced detailer. Plenty around today like this OP, whom do way better than a young kid. Especially with everyone being lazy anymore and trying to take shortcuts (i.e. using chemicals) that they have no knowledge of just to get done quickly.

People like the OP know all of the chemicals on the market today and use them properly and don't damage surface coatings like DIY or novice's like me when I started out.
It's like anything. When you live your career/craft and take pride in it, it shows.

Originally Posted by R_Rated
What are some good consumer sealants that you recommend?
Look into:

Menzerna Powerlock Menzerna Powerlock

and

Collonite 845 Collonite 845

For the record. Between the two, I prefer Menzerna big time.

Originally Posted by mikeearly
thanks for the post.... obviously you are sold on Modesta and it sounds pretty darn good... how do you feel it compares to GTecniq from the end user point of view? so not how it applies but how it wears, looks, lasts compared to GTechniq.....
I will be super frank in my answer. Whomever you will ask that question to will 100% of the time say what they have is the best. The biggest factor in your satisfaction will be the person working on your car. All other things being equal, I believe Modesta to be the best, hands down(I recognize I am building into what I said before but I am being completely candid). We used to offer many professional-only coating products and have tested others.

But as I said, your installer will have the biggest impact on your satisfaction. Maybe a good starting point is to look at the installers in your area and filter out the best from there? If you're near metro-Atlanta, that would definitely me tho. lol!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:39 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
But as I said, your installer will have the biggest impact on your satisfaction. Maybe a good starting point is to look at the installers in your area and filter out the best from there? If you're near metro-Atlanta, that would definitely me tho. lol!
Went to the Modesta web site and there aren't too many in the Richmond VA area so if I go Modesta locally there is only one installer.

I love your confidence however Atlanta is about an 8 hour drive from here. The drive isn't terrible but the logistics of getting the car there, the time to get the product installed, and then getting home are a bit daunting.....
Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Went to the Modesta web site and there aren't too many in the Richmond VA area so if I go Modesta locally there is only one installer.

I love your confidence however Atlanta is about an 8 hour drive from here. The drive isn't terrible but the logistics of getting the car there, the time to get the product installed, and then getting home are a bit daunting.....
What I meant was that you should look at installers for any brand you are considering and go with the most qualified in your area. Sorry about the confusion.

Modesta in particular does not load up installers in markets. Given a certain population, there may be 1 installer in a major metropolitan area. Modesta isn't trying to saturate the market with installers. Just pick the ones that they feel represent the brand and industry the right way.

I was making a joke about me being the right fit for you.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:50 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
What I meant was that you should look at installers for any brand you are considering and go with the most qualified in your area. Sorry about the confusion.

I was making a joke about me being the right fit for you.
Thanks for clearing that first point up ... now understand that an excellent installer is the most important criteria.

I meant what I said -- I like your confidence! And if I was in the Atlanta area I would be by to see you.

Thanks for the guidance!
Old 04-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Thanks for clearing that first point up ... now understand that an excellent installer is the most important criteria.

I meant what I said -- I like your confidence! And if I was in the Atlanta area I would be by to see you.

Thanks for the guidance!
I appreciate that and you are very welcome!

Quick Reply: What causes swirl marks? [how they can be fixed and how to protect moving forward]