Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017 | 08:16 PM
passat774
Racer

Thanks for another great video!
Old 03-24-2017 | 08:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by STG
Nick, you should also cover the aesthetic differences of the headlights as far as daytime running light patterns and when "on" at night as well.
Agreed. Nice vid Nick, but this aspect ^ is also a factor. I love the '918' look of my LEDs in daytime.
Old 03-24-2017 | 11:26 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Nick - Thank you for this excellent video. I think many of us have been wondering on the Porsche differences between Xenon and LED.
Old 03-24-2017 | 11:58 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

I think the single xenon projector is sexier when the car is parked. However once the DRL's or the low beams are on, the LEDs are for the win!
Old 04-22-2017 | 09:56 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke I
I have LEDs on both my cars. I recently had my BMW coded to turn on the full European lighting capabilities including BMW's "anti dazzle" programming. It is remarkable what they do.

Anyone know if our Porsches with LEDs can be coded to enable similar capabilities?

Duke
I have ordered my 991.2 with LEDs and was hoping someone has figured out how to code the lights to the European capability. I'll would be interested to see anyone has done this.
Old 04-23-2017 | 01:16 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Syringe
I have the xenons - after seeing the excellent comparison, I too am surprised by the difference with the LEDs. However, the xenons seem to send a bit more of "natural" lighting (yellowish, like the sun) rather than kind of a fluorescent white color with the LEDs, which isn't as appealing, despite their brightness - very impressive. Thanks for the video.
The bulbs Pitocin suggested are a good compromise. The bulk of their light output is in the same vicinity as the DRLs (and presumbably the PDLS LEDs) but they also have some strong lines in the yellow-green part of the spectrum which will look a bit more natural than the relatively monochromatic LEDs.

Anyone who doesn't like the mismatch between the DRLs and PDLS low beams should take a look at Pitocin's thread. I added a couple of spectrum measurements to it.

Quick Reply: Xenon or LED PDLS headlights -- Video showing the difference