Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walk me through leasing a 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 AM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the payment saver as well. Great program but one accident loses all the positives being that you will take a 10-15% hit on trade. A lease you lose nothing.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Cayman7
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NNN Investment
I used the payment saver as well. Great program but one accident loses all the positives being that you will take a 10-15% hit on trade. A lease you lose nothing.
yes, that is a definite risk, just like with any car purchase
Old 03-26-2017, 10:29 AM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Also since Penfed has a cap of 100k you can use Logix Credit Union. 3.24% for 84 mos. Only other option I know of is Woodfield. 120 months at 6%.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:14 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Only other option I know of is Woodfield. 120 months at 6%.
Do people really finance their Porsches over 10 years at 6%? I'd be afraid to look at the total cost of ownership including interest!
Old 03-26-2017, 11:25 AM
NNN Investment
Instructor

It's not for the person that would keep it 10 years. It's for ownership in an exotic where you keep for one to two years then flip into another one for minimal cost. Not for everyone.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:20 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

It's not for the person that would keep it 10 years. It's for ownership in an exotic where you keep for one to two years then flip into another one for minimal cost. Not for everyone.
Porsche 911s are not exotics (except 911R and GT3).
Old 03-26-2017, 05:02 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman7
You might want to take a look at the PenFed "payment saver" balloon loan option. On a $100K, 36 month loan the payment is $1,300/month. Big difference is that the residual thru them after 3 years is about $57K. If your residual thru Porsche is 63% that's about $65K on a $104K MSRP. If your state also allows a sales tax credit when you trade a purchased vehicle, you could have $10K additional equity with PenFed. Something to consider possibly.

Add to that about $3,000 savings at $90/month and you could be ahead by as much as $13K. At some point this starts to look like real money
That is a fantastic idea. I just confirmed your numbers on the Penfed "payment saver' payment calculator. I was a member, got right into the website. It's almost like you are financing your own lease. So a lower residual, likely same start up costs (actually no security deposit and $1,000 bank fee will go into the car's equity) and lower payments. I think you are correct, there is an chance for equity.
The only downside that I see is I retain the ownership risks in an accident situation. However, I believe diminished value is now commonly pursued to mitigate this issue. I don't see this car being worth less that $58k in three years. Let me see if I can make this happen. Thanks very much C7!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Cayman7
Instructor

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
That is a fantastic idea. I just confirmed your numbers on the Penfed "payment saver' payment calculator. I was a member, got right into the website. It's almost like you are financing your own lease. So a lower residual, likely same start up costs (actually no security deposit and $1,000 bank fee will go into the car's equity) and lower payments. I think you are correct, there is an chance for equity.
The only downside that I see is I retain the ownership risks in an accident situation. However, I believe diminished value is now commonly pursued to mitigate this issue. I don't see this car being worth less that $58k in three years. Let me see if I can make this happen. Thanks very much C7!
Yeah, none of the BS bank fees and such is another benefit. Personally, I think you're going to come out way ahead with PenFed, barring something fairly unlikely like a significant accident. If you think you may be >$10K ahead with PenFed even an accident probably wouldn't eat that up entirely.

I first heard about PenFed about 8 or 10 years ago on a Nissan 350Z forum when my wife was driving a Z. It's been a great option for me since then, glad to pass on the info!
Old 03-26-2017, 08:27 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Yeah, none of the BS bank fees and such is another benefit. Personally, I think you're going to come out way ahead with PenFed, barring something fairly unlikely like a significant accident. If you think you may be >$10K ahead with PenFed even an accident probably wouldn't eat that up entirely.

I first heard about PenFed about 8 or 10 years ago on a Nissan 350Z forum when my wife was driving a Z. It's been a great option for me since then, glad to pass on the info!
I'm leaning towards the 3 year/1.74% deal. Payments are higher, but if I want to keep the car, refinancing a 3 year old car would be easier than a 5 year old car. Probably would just pay it off at that point, but better to keep the option of a lower rate three years from now.

I'm just curious about what the amortization would look like for the first two years. Sometimes I get so stupid in love with something new that comes out, I need to wiggle out of a one or two year old car.

I refi'd a BMW with them about 6-7 years ago. Worked out well. I just looked up my account and I've got $15 bucks just sittin' there!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 PM
Cayman7
Instructor

see my post #14 in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9805...-question.html for a link to a balloon loan calculator that provides an amortization schedule. That might help you decide on the term.

And yeah, I think I have about the same amount in my PenFed account
Old 03-27-2017, 11:48 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

see my post #14 in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9805...-question.html for a link to a balloon loan calculator that provides an amortization schedule. That might help you decide on the term.

And yeah, I think I have about the same amount in my PenFed account
I can live with the amortization schedule. I took the three year deal. How can you turn down 1.74%? If for some unexpected reason the car needs to go, I may be several thousand out of pocket. Much better than a lease. By the way, I'm approved already.

A bit of drama though, I'm not convinced the dealer secured the car. I'll know tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

I think the big negative using penfed versus a lease, you have to pay all sales tax upfront. That's what I'm struggling with.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:49 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

I think the big negative using penfed versus a lease, you have to pay all sales tax upfront. That's what I'm struggling with.
I've got a valuable trade in my deal. That helps reduce a good portion of the sales tax.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 AM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Got it. My trade was done at my buddies dealership. It's a shame that the tax savings can't be transferred to any dealer.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Got it. My trade was done at my buddies dealership. It's a shame that the tax savings can't be transferred to any dealer.
Tax savings on a trade is a state statute. Nothing to do with transferring to any dealership. Your state either allows or not.

Quick Reply: Walk me through leasing a 991.2