Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continental ExtremeContact Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:14 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Feedback that we have received on them so far has been very favorable. It seems to have better dry and wet grip than the older DW, while still being very quiet. I'm anxious to get long term wear feedback, but the tire is too new for that yet. We are about to kick off our spring/summer testing schedule and this tire will be at the top of the list.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Feedback that we have received on them so far has been very favorable. It seems to have better dry and wet grip than the older DW, while still being very quiet. I'm anxious to get long term wear feedback, but the tire is too new for that yet. We are about to kick off our spring/summer testing schedule and this tire will be at the top of the list.
although I'm a bit biased, with the MPS4S around I'm not sure why I would go with the Conti... I hope you guys will do a shootout testing between the 2!
Old 05-03-2017, 06:39 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
although I'm a bit biased, with the MPS4S around I'm not sure why I would go with the Conti... I hope you guys will do a shootout testing between the 2!
You can definitely expect us to compare the two!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default New Contis

Have had them 1200 miles on new to me Boxstriss S. Very pleased so far.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:44 AM
Argote
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also put 4 of them in my '06 Boxster and am very happy with them. Haven't gotten that much mileage as I just returned another car which was leased and was milking it for all the miles I could get.

Initial impressions are quite favorable, very comfortable and responsive at the same time. Definitely a step up from the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 set I had before. I expect to take it up to the twisties this weekend for a real test.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:31 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
If they are less expensive than Michelin and arent going to be tracked with similar performance, why wouldnt you get them? I had a set of DW a few years ago on a BMW e92 and thought they were great value and performed really well.
The ExtremeContact SPORT is a lot less expensive than a PSS and are about as good if not better in every regard. For a street tire that is very capable on track, which is where the PSS was the benchmark, the ECS is more than capable to hold up to even a very advanced driver on track.

If you're an advanced driver or track rat, you won't be looking at this class of tire anyway and will be using a more track focused tire like a PSC2 or Hoosier.

I would easily put the ECS in the same category as the PSS, PS4S, PZero and would consider it for anything from a daily driven Cayman on up to a Turbo or GT3 if you're looking for a more street focused tire that will be safer in the rain than a PSC2/TrofeoR that you can still take to the track and beat on.

I have yet to back to back the ECS with the PS4S and if money is no object, I would pick the PS4S but the difference is not huge. The PS4S made significant gains in the wet over the PSS, (the ECS is much better than the PSS in the rain) but didn't make as big of an increase in dry performance over the PSS. At the end of the day, if you have the ability to see the ~1 second or less difference between a PS4S or ECS, and are looking for a track focused tire, you wont be looking at any of these anyway.

Originally Posted by Argote
I've also put 4 of them in my '06 Boxster and am very happy with them. Haven't gotten that much mileage as I just returned another car which was leased and was milking it for all the miles I could get.

Initial impressions are quite favorable, very comfortable and responsive at the same time. Definitely a step up from the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 set I had before. I expect to take it up to the twisties this weekend for a real test.
The PSS is a HUGE step above the PS2. So the PSS, PS4S & ECS are in a completely different ballpark from the PS2.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:08 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Tire Rack has posted its comparison test of the MPS4S, Conti, and Pirelli here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=223.

Looks like the Conti are a strong second to the MPS4S, but the MPS4S are amazing.

Sadly, the P-Zeros that came stock on my 2017 C4GTS are the runts of the litter.

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact Sport