Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Pre-trade for Panamera Sport Turismo dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds you prefer the 911 experience. Don't worry you maybe back in this forum a few years from now.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

I love my 911 and would never replace it with a Panamera. That being said, I could see trying to pick up a CPO Panamera Sport Turismo in a few years from now in addition to my 911.

It would be nice to bring my entire family of five with me when I drive a Porsche instead of picking my least favorite child and leaving them behind...

(I kid...I kid!)
Old 03-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I love my 911 and would never replace it with a Panamera. That being said, I could see trying to pick up a CPO Panamera Sport Turismo in a few years from now in addition to my 911.

It would be nice to bring my entire family of five with me when I drive a Porsche instead of picking my least favorite child and leaving them behind...

(I kid...I kid!)
Or a Mini Van to transport to soccer practice. Although a Range Rover can be an option.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Joenyc
Or a Mini Van to transport to soccer practice. Although a Range Rover can be an option.
We have my wife's Yukon XL Denali for that - my backup vehicle is an Infiniti FX35. Would love to have a Macan or a Panamera Sport Turismo to replace that some day.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:53 PM
robkruns
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone switch between 991 to Panamera to 991 again?

Bought a new 991 in 2013, traded to 14' Panamera 4, now contemplating a 991.2. 3 kids, but this will be my only car (DD). Wife has 17' GLS550. 4 year old, 9 year old (4'8) and 11 year old girl (5'0"). At most, would have to have the 9 and 11 year old in car with me (one in front passenger and one behind front passenger).

I like the panamera space. Was underwhelmed with the 17 Panamera 4s in term of feel between my current Panamera 4...It is paid off, so spending 130K for the car I want doesn't seem to make sense if it isn't much different (but maybe I need the sport package).

Anyway, just wondering if anyone is in the same boat. I figure I can have the 2 bigger ids in the car until they are about 5'6" and 5'8" after that, too much. By then, I think, I can convince my wife to go with a 3rd car (we have plenty of room, she is just against it)...Daughter should be 14 to 15 by then, so close enough for learners permit so 3rd car works then.

Comments?
Old 10-21-2017, 01:02 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Everyone,

Reviving this thread hoping those with the experience could help me out:

Disclaimer: Not for Porsche.
Pre-trade: 2011 BMW 335i Xdrive
Order: 2018 X1 MSRP $49,620

I have gotten 12% off MSRP and agreed value of $15,000 for my car.

I intend to give my car upfront with title and requesting straight cash for my car now, in order that they don't change the value of my trade.

I also wish to place a deposit in the amount of $1000 which they state is nonrefundable, by Amex for my protection. I believe this should qualify for the tax advantage so I only pay tax on the difference in NY. Hopefully this is correct, the only thing I am not sure about is that I will be giving the trade now and actually paying for the new car once it arrives in 6-8 weeks.

Would anyone with experience in this matter be kind enough to comment on this strategy and anything else I need to be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance.
Much appreciated.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
Hello Everyone,

Reviving this thread hoping those with the experience could help me out:

Disclaimer: Not for Porsche.
Pre-trade: 2011 BMW 335i Xdrive
Order: 2018 X1 MSRP $49,620

I have gotten 12% off MSRP and agreed value of $15,000 for my car.

I intend to give my car upfront with title and requesting straight cash for my car now, in order that they don't change the value of my trade.

I also wish to place a deposit in the amount of $1000 which they state is nonrefundable, by Amex for my protection. I believe this should qualify for the tax advantage so I only pay tax on the difference in NY. Hopefully this is correct, the only thing I am not sure about is that I will be giving the trade now and actually paying for the new car once it arrives in 6-8 weeks.

Would anyone with experience in this matter be kind enough to comment on this strategy and anything else I need to be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance.
Much appreciated.
I'd be cautious with that approach. It looks a lot like you are selling them the car outright, if you are receiving a check, which may negate being able to call it a trade on the final sales order.

They may very well have the latitude to fill the sales order out indicating a trade, but I'd make sure of that in advance.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:41 AM
AMM
3rd Gear

I pre traded my 2013 Maserati GTS in September 2016. Porsche is NOT providing loaners in light of late delivery. I called Porsche North America to check. Loaners are provided ONLY for Porsche’s that are in for service. My dealer advised me to rent a car. Any way I’m using my vintage cars to get around and my wife’s Macan in the snow and ice. If you read your contact of purchase you’ll see that the dealer is not liable for a late delivery. However you can seek to arbitrate if you want to waste time and money. The delivery of CARB certified Turbo Turismos should be by April (my dealer said this).
Old 01-22-2018, 02:13 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

I bought a Panamera in carmine red for my wife in May of last year. Although it’s a better more connected drive than most all SUV’s and Sedans it is no match in feel or engagement to the 911. I would never trade a 911 for a Panamera unless I needed a sedan. We needed one for my wife and son and we are fortunate enough to have both. It is an amazing car but it is very sedate when compared to a 911. Like riding in a jet or something doing excess of 100 mph feels very uneventful. I do love the luxury and high end feel and it does feel like a big 911 in some ways. Wife loves it and I feel like it is safe enough for our son.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
I bought a Panamera in carmine red for my wife in May of last year. Although it’s a better more connected drive than most all SUV’s and Sedans it is no match in feel or engagement to the 911. I would never trade a 911 for a Panamera unless I needed a sedan.
This is definitely a thread derail at this point, since the original post was about the mechanics of pre-trading. Which, incidentally, doesn't seem to mean what I thought it meant, which is handing over your car today against a car that will arrive in 3-4 months. The OP was talking about something different, an agreement on value when he traded in his car on delivery.

That said, the original post is 10 months old, and the decisions are made, so why not a derail, eh?

I have the same take as you on the Panamera. I had one for 18 months, sold a sports coupe (not a Porsche) for a Panamera, and regretted it. The Panamera was a capable car, decent performance, lots of cargo space, and a ridiculously smooth ride if you didn't put the suspension in Sport, but it wasn't a sports coupe. Just too damn big for me to enjoy driving on a regular basis.

There are times I miss having a cargo hauler, and the Panamera's a much nicer drive than a SUV or crossover. It's big and high off the ground compared to a 911, but not nearly as high off the ground as a Macan let alone the vast majority of SUVs. I think I'd be perfectly happy with one as a 3rd car.

Not that we need 3 cars. We don't really need 2, since my wife prefers the train to commuting in Boston traffic, and I don't drive that often either. We have two sports cars because both of us have the an emotional attachment to our cars. Rationally, we share ownership, but subjectively the 911 is mine and the Cayman is hers, and both of us are loathe to give up the car we think of as our personal car for something less interesting for practical reasons.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Oh hey I didn’t realize the poster above me revived a dead thread. Carry on...
Old 01-22-2018, 09:59 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by robkruns
Bought a new 991 in 2013, traded to 14' Panamera 4, now contemplating a 991.2. 3 kids, but this will be my only car (DD). Wife has 17' GLS550. 4 year old, 9 year old (4'8) and 11 year old girl (5'0"). At most, would have to have the 9 and 11 year old in car with me (one in front passenger and one behind front passenger).

I like the panamera space. Was underwhelmed with the 17 Panamera 4s in term of feel between my current Panamera 4...It is paid off, so spending 130K for the car I want doesn't seem to make sense if it isn't much different (but maybe I need the sport package).

Anyway, just wondering if anyone is in the same boat. I figure I can have the 2 bigger ids in the car until they are about 5'6" and 5'8" after that, too much. By then, I think, I can convince my wife to go with a 3rd car (we have plenty of room, she is just against it)...Daughter should be 14 to 15 by then, so close enough for learners permit so 3rd car works then.

Comments?
My theory has always been that you only need one car that fits the entire family. I have three kids that are now grown, but when they were younger we had one sports car and one station wagon/suv. If you need to take the whole family somewhere, you take the big car and leave the 911 at home. If you have to take one child or your wife somewhere, you take the 911. If you have to take two or three kids somewhere, take the big car and leave the 911 for your wife. This all assumes that your wife likes to drive the 911. My wife's daily driver is a 997.2 C4S with a six speed manual, so that's never been an issue in my house.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:35 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Trade in value

When you take into account the mark up new car the Dealer is going to give you around 75% of actual value. If this cover your tax bill or if you are just wealthy and unconcerned with cost this is worthwhile. I personally would never trade a vehice in to a dealer as I value my money to highly.

Quick Reply: 911 Pre-trade for Panamera Sport Turismo dilemma