Sponsored by:

Vent creak during start-up and shut down

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:01 PM
maclaw81
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vent creak during start-up and shut down

Hey guys - so I've got a 991 C4 and there is an odd sound coming from my dash. It sounds like its coming from the vents opening and closing during the start-up and turn off procedure. It's already been in a couple of times with various fixes having been done, most recently the heater box being replaced. It seems to just happen when it's cold out and I've been running heat through the vents. It's never happened during a cold start in the morning. Anyone have any idea what this sound is? Is it the vents? I've attached a video.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video2.MOV (1.75 MB, 113 views)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:18 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

I have something similar during shut down. Doesn't happen all the time. Much shorter duration though. 2013 C2S.

Didn't do anything about it. Almost out of warranty now.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by maclaw81
... sounds like its coming from the vents opening and closing during the start-up and turn off procedure. It's already been in a couple of times with various fixes having been done, most recently the heater box being replaced...
It sounds to me like an unconnected vacuum changeover valve. If this was an older Porsche I would bet that when the heater core was R&R'd that one of the VCVs was left disconnected or poorly connected. However, I would have hoped that by now that vacuum control of HVAC was a thing of the past. Maybe not.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:49 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 717 Likes on 498 Posts

What year is the car?
Old 03-14-2017, 02:07 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

That would be annoying.

I hope they figure it out...... there's a little servo or diaphragm that is not very happy in there somewhere.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:26 PM
maclaw81
3rd Gear

Hey guys - thanks for the replies. It's a 2013.

Like I said in my initial post, it seems to only happen when it's cold out and I'm directing heat to the windshield - and even then, not every time. I've followed back up with the shop and they are researching it further. During the start up/shut down procedure, what is making that opening and closing sound? Could the problem be something as simple as needing lubrication?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:55 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
...However, I would have hoped that by now that vacuum control of HVAC was a thing of the past. Maybe not.
LOL! You must not have been following the "Ongoing COV problems" thread!! No heat to the cabin is one of the primary complaints from .1 owners and usually it is a COV failure, which is part of the broader Vaccum system. Not sure in this particular case a COV would be controlling the flap to direct heat to windshield vs. the exchanger COV that directs heat to the cabin ducts generally.... But you never know, right?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:58 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by maclaw81
Hey guys - thanks for the replies. It's a 2013.

Like I said in my initial post, it seems to only happen when it's cold out and I'm directing heat to the windshield - and even then, not every time. I've followed back up with the shop and they are researching it further. During the start up/shut down procedure, what is making that opening and closing sound? Could the problem be something as simple as needing lubrication?
You might also consider that only at start-up you have pre-settings for air circulation kicking into action. Maybe part of the memory function set to the key? I can't remember how that is set-up, but the car may be opening / closing a flap for circulation of fresh air vs. recirc, etc. Just a guess. And sure, since the flap is mechanical, it could be that something is out of wack and what you hear is binding or rubbing of two parts in conflict.....
Old 03-15-2017, 08:29 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Not sure in this particular case a COV would be controlling the flap to direct heat to windshield ...
That's the way it works in - at least some - older Porsches.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:06 AM
Venice991
1st Gear

Did you find a solution on this? I have a similar noise on my car, but it's much quieter, and occurs at stop lights, and at shutdown.

Quick Reply: Vent creak during start-up and shut down