Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to get some Mobil 1 On Sale for $3.70 After Rebate.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 07:31 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo

Good thing I checked because, at these prices, I could have stocked up with enough bottles for the next decade.
Not really necessary. We've been seeing Napa run a Mobil sale about 3X's a year now. And Mobil does the rebate at least yearly. It's great when we can double-dip.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Minesh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer oil change

Any value in buying oil and providing for a dealer oil change?

I will get a my first oil change done this summer based on it being a year since my purchase and will likely get it done at my Atlanta Dealership so I didn't know if it made sense.

Also any suggestions on what weight i should get for Atlanta if I do take advantage of the deal? Sorry I am a novice and while I want to learn I am clueless to the more technical intricacies.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Minesh
Any value in buying oil and providing for a dealer oil change?

I will get a my first oil change done this summer based on it being a year since my purchase and will likely get it done at my Atlanta Dealership so I didn't know if it made sense.

Also any suggestions on what weight i should get for Atlanta if I do take advantage of the deal? Sorry I am a novice and while I want to learn I am clueless to the more technical intricacies.
Mobil 5W50 would be a good choice for your climate.

I hand carry Mobil 5W50 to my dealership with no issues. It's Porsche A40 approved, and a product they DON'T stock.

I think if you walked in with a product they DO stock, would be a little weird.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Minesh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Mobil 5W50 would be a good choice for your climate.

I hand carry Mobil 5W50 to my dealership with no issues. It's Porsche A40 approved, and a product they DON'T stock.

I think if you walked in with a product they DO stock, would be a little weird.
Thanks for the help Lex!

Out of curiosity why wouldn't they stock it? I thought Mobile 1 was the oil used by Porsche. What is the standard at the Porsche Dealerships? Is the Mobile 1 Synthetic superior to what they would use by default?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-11-2017, 01:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Minesh
Thanks for the help Lex!

Out of curiosity why wouldn't they stock it? I thought Mobile 1 was the oil used by Porsche. What is the standard at the Porsche Dealerships? Is the Mobile 1 Synthetic superior to what they would use by default?

Thanks in advance!
They don't stock the 5W50 viscosity. The only Porsche that came from the factory with Mobil 5W50 was the 997 GT2/RS (if I remember correctly).

Most dealerships have Mobil or Pennzoil in bulk and in only 0W40.

Ask your Service Advisor if you can provide your own oil. Ask out of courtesy. Pretty sure they'll be amiable.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:00 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for he heads up!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:31 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Damn, doesn't look like the Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 that I need for the Cayenne is on sale. still 11.99/qt
Old 06-15-2020, 01:41 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

People get all worked up about this stuff. Any top shelf stuff will be good, well maybe not the gas to oil Pennzoil junk. Anything from M1, Total, Castrol, Motul etc Will be fine. Change it regularly with a quality filter and call it a day. Going out of the way to purchase boutique oils to use in a modern car? Give me a break

FYI at the shop we use Total bulk and Castrol and Motul in jugs...
Old 06-15-2020, 02:51 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 453 Posts

oil thread
Old 06-15-2020, 05:19 PM
gatorfast
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
People get all worked up about this stuff. Any top shelf stuff will be good, well maybe not the gas to oil Pennzoil junk. Anything from M1, Total, Castrol, Motul etc Will be fine. Change it regularly with a quality filter and call it a day. Going out of the way to purchase boutique oils to use in a modern car? Give me a break

FYI at the shop we use Total bulk and Castrol and Motul in jugs...
Very confusing post that doesnt jive with the rest of the thread. What do you mean by "top shelf" stuff? The most important thing is the Porsche A40 certification regardless of brand. Also, the new Pennzoil GTL oils are pretty good stuff - why do you say its junk? As for "boutique" oils, both Total and Motul would be considered boutique oils (at least here in the states) as they are more expensive and not as readily available as M1, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc
The following users liked this post:
Brian E (06-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Time to get some Mobil 1 On Sale for $3.70 After Rebate.