Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Flushed - Now Master Cylinder Squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 12:44 AM
maverick1715
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
The WSM procedure for the 2-year scheduled brake fluid replacement does not require the PIWIS. As for the ABS pump, certainly some amount of 'old' fluid will remain after a flush, but how much all depends upon the internals of the pump and how it flows when not doing anything.

The WSM section (470107) for flushing the brake fluid specifies that the PIWIS is only required in the context of replacing the ABS pump. Thus, I opine that the PIWIS procedure is used to ensure that all air is flushed from a new pump.

Keep in mind that modern ABS pumps have two purposes: one is to relieve fluid pressure (as per the original purpose of ABS) and the other is to selectively increase pressure to one or more corners for stability control. Under the vast majority of on-public-road circumstances the ABS pump is doing nothing. If you've done nothing that would have activated PSM or the anti-lock brake functionality then I wouldn't worry about non-LV having gotten into any 'cavity' of the pump that won't be flushed with the basic procedure. However, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I am not factory-trained (this assumes that that 'deep' level of understanding of the system is covered in training, which is not certain....)

There is a specific caution that non-LV DOT4 should not be used to top-up a system that requires LV. If the 991 clutch system didn't 'circulate' fluid - as it appears to do - then I think you'd be right about the mix.

Two flushes is probably a good idea for a reason I will present below.

If you have easy access to the PIWIS then I would definitely use it to completely flush the brake system.

After that, based upon what I think the 991's clutch hydraulics do, if you pump the clutch a bunch (say 20 times) you should circulate all the fluid from the clutch master, slave and lines back to the reservoir.

Then do a second flush of the brakes and reservoir. That should get you to 99-ish percent LV.

After looking at the WSM, I'm mildly convinced that the clutch hydraulics are 'self-flushing' and that actually bleeding the clutch isn't something that needs to be done on a schedule as long as brakes are done on schedule.

However, in your case, doing something to get the non-LV fluid out of the clutch is, I think, a good idea.

More-or-less what I wrote above. Alternatively, do a two-man flush. Make your left leg tired on the clutch and then do a second two-man flush. That way you stand a good chance of getting it all done with only one C/L wheel R&R.

I can't imagine what a dealership would do in a situation like this. Regardless of what they would want to do, or what the Mothership might recommend, I too want the dealer (anyone other than me really) to touch my Porsches as little as possible. This is why I'm slowly, but steadily accumulating WSM sections and 9[98]1-specific tools.

Good luck with this and post back on the outcome.
Thank you so much. Your help is so much appreciated. I ordered the new fluid and hopefully will have it all flushed by the end of this week. I will report the results. I do have access on PIWIS and I’ll most definitely use it for the full flush.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:06 AM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Brake Squeake

Ordered 5 Liters of DOT 4 LV from Amazon and will do my Cayman R at the same time. Great information!
Old 02-03-2020, 09:44 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Interesting speculation in this thread, but curious as to why wouldn't be more widespread, considering 991's have been out for around 8 years now, and numerous brake fluid flushes have been done with Endless, Motul, Castrol SRF etc with no reports ill effects.

The squeaking seems to be reported on cars with just this ATE fluid? Anyone having squeaking with fluid other than this particular ATE?

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 02-03-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:20 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Interesting speculation in this thread, but curious as to why wouldn't be more widespread, considering 991's have been out for around 8 years now, and numerous brake fluid flushes have been done with Endless, Motul, Castrol SRF etc with no reports ill effects.
Exactly. Which is why I’m not yet convinced that the non-LV fluid is the cause of these BMC ’squeakies.’

But, it does seem pretty clear that Porsches after 2004 are supposed to use the LV fluid.

What isn’t clear is 1) the rationale for why a “little bit” of non-LV is verboten in LV systems, 2) the lifecycle effect of a little, or a lot, of non-LV fluid on hydraulic components that are expected to be used with LV fluid and 3) why do we have this LV fluid anyway? What’s it good for?
Old 02-03-2020, 10:42 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Exactly. Which is why I’m not yet convinced that the non-LV fluid is the cause of these BMC ’squeakies.’

But, it does seem pretty clear that Porsches after 2004 are supposed to use the LV fluid.

What isn’t clear is 1) the rationale for why a “little bit” of non-LV is verboten in LV systems, 2) the lifecycle effect of a little, or a lot, of non-LV fluid on hydraulic components that are expected to be used with LV fluid and 3) why do we have this LV fluid anyway? What’s it good for?
New hydraulic system designs, for instance brakes and clutch, are typically cycle tested as part of the design verification process. And often the fluid used for testing is based on what's readily available, rather than a unique design requirement. So, perhaps the LV fluid was "handy" when the brakes and clutch were being tested and, thus, became a requirement. Other hydraulic fluids may work just as well, or even better, but since the systems were not tested with other fluids, the results are unknown, hence the recommendation to use what the systems were tested with.

Jason
Old 02-03-2020, 11:18 AM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick1715
Hi! I have the exact same problem and exact car, did brake flush with ATE 200. Took it back to my shop, did flush like 4 times, we did go through almost 5 Liters of ATE 200. Brake feels good, performance is awesome, but squeaks like cleaning the windows! Did you solve the problem without having to replace the master cylinder? Replacing the master cylinder sounds extreme since the problem started immediately after the brake flush.
I took my car to dealer and they just replaced the vacuum booster. I don't know culprit was vacuum booster or brake fluid but squeak is gone 99%. I still rarely hear very faint squeak at low speed to dead stop mostly in my garage but nothing major. Anyway I plan to flush the brake fluid in next few weeks. I'll use Pentosin LV this time. I'm recommending reflush the brake with LV fluid before replace any part. I guess it could be just ATE200 doesn't lubricate plunger seal good enough. Good luck and let us know the progress.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:22 AM
maverick1715
Intermediate

UPDATE on the squeak:

Pentosin LV solved the problem. One simple flush with Pentosin LV solved completely the squeak, doesn’t squeak on low speeds or high speeds. The annoying squeak is finally completely gone without the need of replacement of booster or cylinder. ATE fluid also comes in Low Viscosity and it’s called ATE SL.6. However at this point I wouldn’t use anything else than Pentosin DOT4 Low Viscocity and Ladies and Gentlemen I rest my case.

The following 4 users liked this post by maverick1715:
CSK 911 C4S (02-15-2020), ddolbi (02-15-2020), Porsche_nuts (02-15-2020), Sajan (02-17-2024)
Old 02-15-2020, 02:31 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

UPDATE on the squeak:

Pentosin LV solved the problem. One simple flush with Pentosin LV solved completely the squeak, doesn’t squeak on low speeds or high speeds. The annoying squeak is finally completely gone without the need of replacement of booster or cylinder. ATE fluid also comes in Low Viscosity and it’s called ATE SL.6. However at this point I wouldn’t use anything else than Pentosin DOT4 Low Viscocity and Ladies and Gentlemen I rest my case.
Both interesting and excellent news
Old 02-15-2020, 02:12 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

i just recently installed a brembo gt bbk and used ate typ200 to flush the whole system about 600 miles ago and i dont have any squeaking or nothing out of the ordinary?
Old 02-15-2020, 10:00 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

UPDATE on the squeak:

Maverick, thank you for update. I also just finished the flush with Pentosin LV and that faint squeak is completely gone. I saw quite a bit of bubble so I think tech didn't do a great job last time. I used 2 and half bottle to make sure complete flush.

Old 02-16-2020, 02:23 AM
maverick1715
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ddolbi
Maverick, thank you for update. I also just finished the flush with Pentosin LV and that faint squeak is completely gone. I saw quite a bit of bubble so I think tech didn't do a great job last time. I used 2 and half bottle to make sure complete flush.

Nice job! This community is so amazing and always there to help. I’m thankful to everyone. I used exactly 3L using the PIWIS which goes through fluid like crazy, I didn’t flush the clutch but pumped it a lot in between the brake cycles. I’m sure that I got out 99% or more of the “old” fluid, pedal feels very responsive again, without noise. I also realized how very few people and mechanics know about low viscosity dot4. Thankfully passionate Porsche drivers on rennlist do know.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:18 AM
ddolbi
Instructor

Nice job! This community is so amazing and always there to help. I’m thankful to everyone. I used exactly 3L using the PIWIS which goes through fluid like crazy, I didn’t flush the clutch but pumped it a lot in between the brake cycles. I’m sure that I got out 99% or more of the “old” fluid, pedal feels very responsive again, without noise. I also realized how very few people and mechanics know about low viscosity dot4. Thankfully passionate Porsche drivers on rennlist do know.
It's great to hear you solve the problem with simple solution. I should tried different fluid before go to dealer. Weird thing is I used ATE 200 on my other vehicles for countless time and never had problem. Maybe 991 master cylinder is more sensitive to fluid change. I also notice the responsive pedal feel with new fluid. I guess LV fluid makes pedal feel more alive. Recently I flushed my BMW with ATE SL6 and observe the same more responsive brake feel.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:11 PM
Vetch
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just wanted to chime in (albeit a bit late) and add a bit of my experience to this squeak issue. Twice, my sister's 958 has suffered the squeaky brake pedal after flushing. We were quick to assume something was wrong with the fluid (Porsche black can version once, and Pentosin LV the next time). The only fix for each squeak episode was to replace the brake booster.

What I now guess is that the issue was not the fluid. I do a pressurize bleed all around first and then do a short two-person flush. I think (!) that the squeaking is caused by the two person flush. My thought is that pushing the brake pedal further than you would under normal daily driving causes some of the corrosion on the brake booster push rod to enter the seals and then you get the squeak.

Any one else experience something similar?
Old 05-19-2020, 07:14 PM
muddtt
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add another data point. I added ATE typ200 to my 981 Boxster and got squeaking. Luckily I found this thread. Made the immediate switch to Pentosin Dot4 LV and Squeak is gone. Thanks!

ATE

Pentosin LV
The following 2 users liked this post by muddtt:
pcarGTS4.0 (05-02-2021), worf928 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 09:44 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

I have found this issue interesting. A few guys from the local PCA recommended Motul 600. Has anyone performed a brake fluid flush using a Motul 600? Any issues? Thanks

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Flushed - Now Master Cylinder Squeaks