Sponsored by:

Some Memory Seat Information

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:10 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Some Memory Seat Information

Most of you may already know this but I didn't and couldn't find it in a search so I'll share in case someone else out their has the same questions I did.

My current car has the base 4 way seats. I have short stubby little legs so I move the seat way forward to drive. I then slide it ALL the way back to exit.

I was under the impression that I could do this with the Comfort Entry setting on the memory seats.

NOPE! No can do.

When you activate the Comfort Entry setting and turn the car off, the seat only moves back about two inches. Not much at all and not enough for me.

But the SA and I figured out a way to work around this.

Move the seat all the way back and the wheel all the way forward and all the way up. Set these positions to the key.

Now, every time you open the car with that key, the seat and wheel moves to these positions.

Next, set your driving position to the #1 button. Once in the car, insert the key and turn it without pushing on the brake. The car doesn't start and you can push button #1 and everything will move into your preferred driving position.

Once comfortable, you can push the brake and start the car.

Of course, waiting for the electric motors to do their thing is going to be slower that just sliding forward or back manually. However, for the exit position I can set the seat to maximum hight so that it is a bit easier to exit and enter. Once inside and I hit button #1 it will lower back to my driving position. Plus with the memory I can set the passenger mirror to lower when I throw it in reverse. This will be useful to me every time I drive the car. Another plus is that it will remember exactly where I like to sit. Doing it manually I often have to move forward, check the distance and either adjust forward more or back a bit to get it where I want it. Finally, for me I am generally not in a hurry to take off (or get out for that matter). When I start the car I wait until the auto choke turns off before I drive away. I use those 30-40 seconds to check tire pressure, check engine oil level, fuel level, set the radio and set the A/C. Waiting for the electric motors to get me to my driving position will just help fill that time.

So 14-ways are still not a must have for me but I am now leaning towards getting them in my next car.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:21 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

Hey, I like that.

I'll have to play around with these settings at some point.

Either I'm used to the seat movement or it just catches me off guard once in a while but I think the Entry and Drive system doesn't work sometimes like it should.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:25 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

i wonder if it will shorten the life of the "seat motor".
Old 02-28-2017, 11:51 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by THPorsche
i wonder if it will shorten the life of the "seat motor".
That's a great point. But I'm thinking even if it does it will be years before a replacement is needed.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:53 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Hey, I like that.

I'll have to play around with these settings at some point.

Either I'm used to the seat movement or it just catches me off guard once in a while but I think the Entry and Drive system doesn't work sometimes like it should.
If you do please let us know how you like it and how it works day to day. In the show room it seemed like a decent idea but you never really know until you live with it for a while.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 AM
titanflyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly what I do.. and I thought about the seat motors getting way more work than they likely would normally, but comfort seating option where it moves it back is about the same thing. The reason it doesn't bother me a bit is that I would MUCH rather replace the motors in the seats than to replace the leather as the bolsters get a lot less wear with this method.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

The low entry point, tight garage spaces, an old athletically challenged back and my big feet dictate that I move the seat back for ingress/egress. No choice in the matter. It does aid in less seat wear and fewer scrapes on the sill. If the seat motor fails, will have to get a new motor.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:06 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Porsche seat and key memory sucks. Badly.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Really defeats the purpose of enter and drive, but then again, the thinking behind not being able to program the amount of backward seat movement upon exit is a real flaw. You are able to program the tilt of the passenger side mirror when reversing but not able to program the amount of rearward seat movement when exiting??!! Crazy stuff, and you would have thought that this would have been resolved with the .2 versions already. I am sure all it takes is a small programing change. What happened to the flaunted Germany engineering? Ha!
Old 03-01-2017, 12:38 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by titanflyer
This is exactly what I do.. and I thought about the seat motors getting way more work than they likely would normally, but comfort seating option where it moves it back is about the same thing. The reason it doesn't bother me a bit is that I would MUCH rather replace the motors in the seats than to replace the leather as the bolsters get a lot less wear with this method.
Originally Posted by AlBinVA
The low entry point, tight garage spaces, an old athletically challenged back and my big feet dictate that I move the seat back for ingress/egress. No choice in the matter. It does aid in less seat wear and fewer scrapes on the sill. If the seat motor fails, will have to get a new motor.
Good points and good to know others are already using this method. Thank you for the replies.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:40 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Really defeats the purpose of enter and drive, but then again, the thinking behind not being able to program the amount of backward seat movement upon exit is a real flaw. You are able to program the tilt of the passenger side mirror when reversing but not able to program the amount of rearward seat movement when exiting??!! Crazy stuff, and you would have thought that this would have been resolved with the .2 versions already. I am sure all it takes is a small programing change. What happened to the flaunted Germany engineering? Ha!
According to the SA, Porsche intentionally limits the amount the seat will go back to avoid crushing a rear passenger that the driver may have forgotten was back there. It's always all about liability.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
According to the SA, Porsche intentionally limits the amount the seat will go back to avoid crushing a rear passenger that the driver may have forgotten was back there. It's always all about liability.
So maybe Germany engineering is still flaunted after all?

I have been practicing this method of getting in at about 6:40 -
Old 03-01-2017, 03:59 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary JR
So maybe Germany engineering is still flaunted after all?

I have been practicing this method of getting in at about 6:40 -
https://youtu.be/x1DyrhswoIk?t=408
Watched this, saw that. Great suggestion but still doesn't work for me unless the seat is near all the way back.

Quick Reply: Some Memory Seat Information