Sponsored by:

Ownership after 18 months + rant

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I can understand your angst. I think it comes from growing your stable both in number of vehicles and value / prestige of those cars.

I know you modded the hell out of your R, but even though you had a bunch of $$ into it, in your mind, it was still an R. Great car, but still a $40k Volvo (forget what they cost). Now you've got a really nice car, one that's a bit more of a status symbol, and one that doesn't depreciate quite as badly. Plus, it's not your only vehicle. What to do?

I'm in a similar boat. I actually bought the 911 with an idea to daily it. But I can't...my job (construction) is just to messy and I get in and out of the car too much. I'd destroy it. So it became the third car and I got the GTI to replace my Lexus as my daily. I haven't even started dailying it yet since the Lexus goes back in another two weeks, so I haven't gotten into the groove of having a "weekend car". So I can totally relate to how you're thinking.

I've even thought....why not get a 60k mile 997 C2S with low options and beat the hell out of it as a daily. Crazy, I know!

Since you mentioned this in the other thread...I'd suggest getting rid of the 528 and picking up a GTI or a Golf R and modding that instead of a Boxster. Get one out of warranty so you won't worry about being blackballed by VAG and crank that sucker up. You know they are tunable. I love my GTI despite the fact that I only have 100 miles on it. I can already see that it's a better counterpart to the 911 than the Lexus. Somehow it makes me feel better about spending a crap ton of money on a car I only drive on the weekends and special occasions. Maybe because it's got a large "sporty" quotient and I don't feel so desperate to jump into the 911? I don't know. Strange psychology. I guess if I had unlimited funds, it wouldn't matter, but I don't so it does.

I think the GTI will probably scratch a large portion of your "sport" itch, and also allow you to scratch your mod itch...and make you appreciate your 911 even more.

Just a thought.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:47 PM
SG1214
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my 991 a little over a month ago with 20.5k on the clock, today I just hit 21.8k after a sporadic trip to Ray Catena Porsche in Edison NJ for clear front reflectors, I thought she would be a weekend car but have ended up driving her almost daily, life's too short to not enjoy such a beautiful car!
Old 02-25-2017, 08:28 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Ditto!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:12 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I can understand your angst. I think it comes from growing your stable both in number of vehicles and value / prestige of those cars
I know you modded the hell out of your R, but even though you had a bunch of $$ into it, in your mind, it was still an R. Great car, but still a $40k Volvo (forget what they cost). Now you've got a really nice car, one that's a bit more of a status symbol, and one that doesn't depreciate quite as badly. Plus, it's not your only vehicle. What to do?

I'm in a similar boat. I actually bought the 911 with an idea to daily it. But I can't...my job (construction) is just to messy and I get in and out of the car too much. I'd destroy it. So it became the third car and I got the GTI to replace my Lexus as my daily. I haven't even started dailying it yet since the Lexus goes back in another two weeks, so I haven't gotten into the groove of having a "weekend car". So I can totally relate to how you're thinking.

I've even thought....why not get a 60k mile 997 C2S with low options and beat the hell out of it as a daily. Crazy, I know!

Since you mentioned this in the other thread...I'd suggest getting rid of the 528 and picking up a GTI or a Golf R and modding that instead of a Boxster. Get one out of warranty so you won't worry about being blackballed by VAG and crank that sucker up. You know they are tunable. I love my GTI despite the fact that I only have 100 miles on it. I can already see that it's a better counterpart to the 911 than the Lexus. Somehow it makes me feel better about spending a crap ton of money on a car I only drive on the weekends and special occasions. Maybe because it's got a large "sporty" quotient and I don't feel so desperate to jump into the 911? I don't know. Strange psychology. I guess if I had unlimited funds, it wouldn't matter, but I don't so it does.

I think the GTI will probably scratch a large portion of your "sport" itch, and also allow you to scratch your mod itch...and make you appreciate your 911 even more.

Just a thought.
I had an inappropriate amount of money I the Volvo, even with sponsors. 55k sticker, bought for 39k new with incentives.... Volvo can't sell performance cars... inmagine that! Best part of that car was passing Vipers, M5s and other more fancy cars on the straights on a track in a 4 door Volvo. But then there was those pesky turns.... the S60R did well but can't hide the weight or Volvo dn there even with the giant brakes.

i need a highway cruiser and white collar client riding car and the F10 fits that a lot more than a GTi but petitioning the wife that a FYI will be a good change of pace from her X3!

same as you re: high mileage 997 and even Low mileage 996's but I think I'll still want a mid engine experience. There's also the 55k turn key LS3 Miata haha.

Last edited by R_Rated; 02-25-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:36 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Damn you, R_Rated.

I will collect my new 2017 C2 in two weeks. And I still have my 987 Boxster S in the garage, and had planned to sell it as soon as the weather warms up in Colorado. Now thanks to you, I have finally listened to the little voice telling me I might need both cars. The quick rationalization: keep the 987 for fun local drives, especially top down on sunny days and without too much concern about weather, gravel "sand" on the roads thanks to the snow clearing crews, and casual fun. Save the 991 for longer road trips, and more "serious" driving.

Of course, I had already begun thinking about how best to indulge my wrenching needs, and scouting eBay for the right 914 (another personal affliction).

Adding up the car count so far, that would be 3 Porsches--coincidently the same number of spots in my garage. But my wife would not be keen about parking her Subaru outside (at the very least I would have to promise clearing frequent snow and warming it up for her all winter).

All this might have to wait until I can build the shop/garage up the hill...
Old 02-26-2017, 12:45 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

I have a sickness. I just started looking at 993's to maybe add one to the stable some day...

I won't do it, at least not for a long time, but it does indicate that I am suffering from some kind of disease. Wouldn't mind owning a classic 911 in addition to my 991S...
Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Our c4s cab had 4500 miles when we got it 12/15. By 2/16 4700 miles. By 2/17 20,500 miles. I'm a car detail fanatic. The car still looks as good as new. I'm keeping it at least 10 years. I did NOT buy it to save drive time for the next owner. A good paint protection film like STEK DYNOshield and regular cleaning and I know the car will continue to look great and support my occasional concurs efforts. What is the lost driving opportunity cost of saving the difference in depreciation between a 10 year old car with 120000 miles vs one with 50000 miles? Is a few thousand a year worth not driving the car more? Not for me.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:21 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 981 GTS and 991.2 C2S - I drive them hard (but not in an abusive fashion) and enjoy them both - the only modifications I have are track tires.

The reality is, its the driver that needs the modification (plus tires) rather than the car - most will never drive them to their full capability.

I also keep them in good shape - wash wax and polish, full maintenance - additional oils/fluids brake checks etc - remove track rash and they are good to go. Don't over analyse it enjoy your Porsche - they don't break easily

The secret to success and enjoyment is simple: polish - oil changes - brake fluid changes - brake pads

(and PDK because it doesn't make mistakes )
Old 02-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you tried therapy? It's just a car and not worth that much thinking. It's going to depreciate no matter what you do or how pristine you keep and it will be just another used 911. If you want another car and you can afford to buy it, get it..... life and time are the most precious commodity and unfortunately neither can be purchased at any price.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:34 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
Have you tried therapy? It's just a car and not worth that much thinking. It's going to depreciate no matter what you do or how pristine you keep and it will be just another used 911. If you want another car and you can afford to buy it, get it..... life and time are the most precious commodity and unfortunately neither can be purchased at any price.
It's not about the depreciation. I've seriously gone to therapy (for other issues) and growing up we never had much, including food at times. My OCD has a lot to do with taking care of things and making them last. My car is the pinnacle of my things that truly are my space. The family has taken ove my house other than the cigar lounge.

I don't worry about the depreciation.... got it CPO for a song and paid cash. Resale only matters when there is a transaction.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like most of us are OCD about keeping our cars clean.
I know I am.....
Old 02-26-2017, 11:02 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
It's not about the depreciation. I've seriously gone to therapy (for other issues) and growing up we never had much, including food at times. My OCD has a lot to do with taking care of things and making them last. My car is the pinnacle of my things that truly are my space. The family has taken ove my house other than the cigar lounge.

I don't worry about the depreciation.... got it CPO for a song and paid cash. Resale only matters when there is a transaction.
Have you checked out the Obsessed Garage YouTube channel? The guy who makes the videos is a member here on RL, Money2536. He currently has a GT3.

I find his videos to be very therapeutic.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Surprised with beautiful weather here this weekend, and most of the snow melted. Put my wind breaker over my sweater, fired up the car, dropped the top and cruised a few hours dodging puddles. I do keep it clean, but really, how could I pass up 75 degrees yesterday?
Old 02-26-2017, 01:22 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Got my first Porsche of any kind last May. Nice new 991.2 C2s. Far and away the most expensive car I have ever owned. At first I was a little OCD about it and would immediately clean any dirt off of it, but after some months I have chilled a little. After a drive in the rain I may not clean the car, because it is after all just a car. At the same time I try and avoid driving in the rain. This kind of car habit is expensive, so current plans are to keep this 911 very long term-might be my only Porsche ever, and continue to buy and sell motorcycles to satisfy my vehicle habit Bikes are pretty cheap compared to a 911, so easy to buy and sell for not a ton of cash. Just sold a bike and have a new model on order. Hoping it will arrive beginning of May. Net cost for new bike will be around 7-8K. Cheap thrills.

I can certainly understand the OP "rant", and it is probably something every owner of a new or low mileage 911 thinks about. Each has his own resolution. I bought my 911 because it is a fast great handling sports car, so I will drive it as such. I was all ready to get expel coating and all that but ended up passing. But one thing I have learned about myself is that anything I say about vehicles is not to be trusted So who knows-at lease end in 2+ years I may have a different story.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:48 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Got my first Porsche of any kind last May. Nice new 991.2 C2s. Far and away the most expensive car I have ever owned. At first I was a little OCD about it and would immediately clean any dirt off of it, but after some months I have chilled a little. After a drive in the rain I may not clean the car, because it is after all just a car. At the same time I try and avoid driving in the rain. This kind of car habit is expensive, so current plans are to keep this 911 very long term-might be my only Porsche ever, and continue to buy and sell motorcycles to satisfy my vehicle habit Bikes are pretty cheap compared to a 911, so easy to buy and sell for not a ton of cash. Just sold a bike and have a new model on order. Hoping it will arrive beginning of May. Net cost for new bike will be around 7-8K. Cheap thrills.

I can certainly understand the OP "rant", and it is probably something every owner of a new or low mileage 911 thinks about. Each has his own resolution. I bought my 911 because it is a fast great handling sports car, so I will drive it as such. I was all ready to get expel coating and all that but ended up passing. But one thing I have learned about myself is that anything I say about vehicles is not to be trusted So who knows-at lease end in 2+ years I may have a different story.
Without wishing to drag us off topic, what are the incoming/outgoing bikes?

Quick Reply: Ownership after 18 months + rant