Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Rear Axle Steering a must have option for .2 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 03:59 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
It might have been stated in the previous posts. RAS wants to get neutral under braking. This is a really odd experience. So it will help you turn into corner but when braking it will try to make the rear neutral. You can see yt vids of the steering wheel shudder for no reason. Its not the track. Its the RAS going to neutral under braking.
For me, because of intention to keep car for a long time, this a box not checked when car was ordered. Can't imagine what a repair cost would be if RAS needed.
After market companies created a RAS delete for a reason. There was demand. I’m sure i read of a few failures at the track and GT3 guys removing it. It appears quite simple. Its replaced with straight bar with rose joints. Just like the others. There isn’t much too it like FAL. It appears to just be a little motor on the bar. Replace with a fixed bar.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:36 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
Resurrecting an old thread but just having got my car I can say that I'd rather have a C2S with rear wheel steer for performance than a GTS without rear steer. It's that good. You're much more likely to notice and make use of rear steer on roads and track than you would out of the extra boost you get from a GTS.
Thats why I got a 991.2 C2S with the "sport package" includes sport exhaust, rear steering, sport mirrors, sport chrono

its all in details with Porsche... its a shame you have to OPTION out to get max performance...
They give all the magazine cars versions with Sport Package etc

Sport Package (P3P)
  • Includes:
  • [529] SportDesign Exterior Mirrors.
  • And.
  • [470] Rear Axle Steering.
  • And.
  • [640] Sport Chrono Package.
  • And.
  • [176] Sport Exhaust System.

Got to pay attention to the options when buying used.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:10 PM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
After market companies created a RAS delete for a reason. There was demand. I’m sure i read of a few failures at the track and GT3 guys removing it. It appears quite simple. Its replaced with straight bar with rose joints. Just like the others. There isn’t much too it like FAL. It appears to just be a little motor on the bar. Replace with a fixed bar.
Over here there are a few tales of RAS directly being the cause of crashes. Get the car off the ground and it ****s itself and doesn’t know what to do, few cars have landed and immediately yawed... Would rather have predictability!
The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 07:25 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Question: Guys that have RWS and track a fair amount, hows the tire wear?
Old 08-12-2020, 06:05 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan_
Over here there are a few tales of RAS directly being the cause of crashes. Get the car off the ground and it ****s itself and doesn’t know what to do, few cars have landed and immediately yawed... Would rather have predictability!
wow! really?
Because you know they ran them for 1,000 of hours at green hell and never had a problem with RWS.... I call bllSHT
GT2 RS, GT3 RS, AMG GTR... Ferrari TDF just a few record setting cars with RWS.

RWS is not on FIA GT cars because it is against the class rules...
nothing more than blah blah race cars don't have it

same reason why race cars dont have active aero or suction fans...

Never ever think race cars don't have it means its bad.. race cars are designed within the "rules" and regulations of the class... period.

RWS works, silly to think it doesn't
The following 2 users liked this post by snake eyes:
Cotechia (08-13-2020), lamacan (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 06:45 PM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Dunno why you are referring to race cars in response to me, I’m well aware of the rules.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:22 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I did not check the box and don’t regret it. The two cars I drove with felt odd and I did not care for it. I also don’t need a belt driven actuator controlling my rear toe. Just a personal feeling.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:46 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

I also didn't check the box and don't regret it. I wanted a purist spec, with less computers controlling my driving inputs. (I also got a manual)

This car isn't hard to park at all, so that's an irrelevant benefit to me. I also track the car and it's amazing without RAS as well.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:55 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 572 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by marinb
I also didn't check the box and don't regret it. I wanted a purist spec, with less computers controlling my driving inputs. (I also got a manual)

This car isn't hard to park at all, so that's an irrelevant benefit to me. I also track the car and it's amazing without RAS as well.
I laugh when I hear RAS owners say it’s easier to park. I mean, if parking a 911 is a challenge for you it might be time to call uber.....
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 852 Likes on 448 Posts

not must have but it completes the 991.2 experience imo, I'd only not go with it if driving them b2b & doesn't like the feel
Old 08-12-2020, 09:23 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 852 Likes on 448 Posts

And if you're doing tight maneuver constantly, the added agility will be highly appreciated
Old 08-12-2020, 09:29 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

It is superior to fixed axel in every way and there is no denying that. Just like PDK is superior to Manual. Whether or not you appreciate it, desire it, feel its worth the money or prefer to remain a purist and "one with the road" is another issue completely. Its allows for quicker and more acute turn angles in both low and high speed turns. PDK allows for faster shifts and in every test against a manual in every category its faster. There is no argument regarding feeling more grounded or in control as that is subjective, but from a pure numbers viewpoint PDK is faster and RAS allows the car to turn more sharply more quickly. Facts.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS-BRG:
lamacan (08-12-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-13-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 09:47 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by marinb

This car isn't hard to park at all, so that's an irrelevant benefit to me. ...l.
Agree. Spec'ed my GTS without.

And RAS for turn in dials itself out as your speed increases to 31 mph when becomes neutral to 50+ mph (when does the opposite). I don't take my turns that slow outside of town, and I don't need the assist in town.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:00 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
It is superior to fixed axel in every way and there is no denying that. Just like PDK is superior to Manual. Whether or not you appreciate it, desire it, feel its worth the money or prefer to remain a purist and "one with the road" is another issue completely. Its allows for quicker and more acute turn angles in both low and high speed turns. PDK allows for faster shifts and in every test against a manual in every category its faster. There is no argument regarding feeling more grounded or in control as that is subjective, but from a pure numbers viewpoint PDK is faster and RAS allows the car to turn more sharply more quickly. Facts.
Your definition of "superior" is completely different than mine. For me "superior" is more fun and engaging to drive.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:07 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

For me superior is anything that can be done to a car to make it perform better. Better meaning faster, more precise handling, shorter stopping distances, etc

Not having ABS for example may be much more fun for you to drive and require a better skillset to control, but it is in no way superior to having ABS.

Quick Reply: Is Rear Axle Steering a must have option for .2 GTS?