Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Rear Axle Steering a must have option for .2 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have rear axle steering on my 991.2C2S - I have found it a fantastic addition. You do really notice it at slow speeds, tight corners, round abouts, twisties and car parks.

On track it almost a game changer - confidence through corners is significantly increased, which in turn allows for faster corner and corner exit speeds.

It became one of my must haves
Old 02-22-2017, 11:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,991 Likes on 5,227 Posts

For daily driving, there are almost no must-have options, RAS included.

That said, there are few options I would rather have than RAS.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:34 AM
randr
Banned

Another point, very few cars have this feature - for me, I took the punt after driving a GT3RS and having followed it around a track. (I forgot to point out why I initially chose it as an option)

On my C2S, What surprised me most was how it enhanced the driving experience in daily driving and spirited driving in all manner of ways. It really does.

As an owner with this option, all I can say is, I'm very happy that I got it and I would do so again.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:38 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i wish my GT3's came without it.. did not like the feeling at all on highway and always felt a little odd to me at very high speeds..

i ordered 991.2 without it on purpose and without the power steering plus.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:48 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i wish my GT3's came without it.. did not like the feeling at all on highway and always felt a little odd to me at very high speeds..

Can you clarify "felt a little odd", my finding on track was a combination of improved accuracy/consistency, much better feeling through corner (improved friction circle - higher limits), leading to higher corner speeds and overall much higher exits speeds.

In a straight line I didn't notice anything and that was at speeds of up to 225ish may be 230ish (long back straight down hill section).

I am genuinely interested in the subtleties of this option
Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

100 percent order it IMHO. It's a huge development and does play a role every time you steer the wheel. PDCC is the one that I don't know is really worth it, as aside from maybe making the ride a hair hair better, it hasn't ever been something I really cared for. If you go GTS, go for that option.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:16 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,991 Likes on 5,227 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock

Originally Posted by randr
Can you clarify "felt a little odd", my finding on track was a combination of improved accuracy/consistency, much better feeling through corner (improved friction circle - higher limits), leading to higher corner speeds and overall much higher exits speeds.

In a straight line I didn't notice anything and that was at speeds of up to 225ish may be 230ish (long back straight down hill section).

I am genuinely interested in the subtleties of this option
RAS, especially at high speeds, changes the driving lines -- at least the driving lines that one is used to in cars without RAS. This is what some people might find a "little odd." In my opinion, it's not a negative, just having to relearn how to drive the car, and once that relearning process is complete, it makes you faster around the same circuit vis-a-vis an identical car without RAS.

Around town, at more normal speeds, the RAS just makes the car more lithe, and feel smaller than it actually is.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:30 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
RAS, especially at high speeds, changes the driving lines -- at least the driving lines that one is used to in cars without RAS. This is what some people might find a "little odd." In my opinion, it's not a negative, just having to relearn how to drive the car, and once that relearning process is complete, it makes you faster around the same circuit vis-a-vis an identical car without RAS.

Around town, at more normal speeds, the RAS just makes the car more lithe, and feel smaller than it actually is.
OK, that makes a lot of sense - I suspect its subtle but certainly could account for the "odd feeling". I suspect it might allow slightly later braking too (which in turn may allow you to take a slightly different line).

Theres one corner in particular at my local circuit, which looks like a simple double apex, that can be taken two different ways (depending on how you want tackle the following compound corner).

I will try them both once I have the S broken in and report back. It will be also interesting to pull the telemetry from my GTS and compare it to the telemetry from my S (I've been meaning to do something similar to this for ELP_JC but my last outing was marred by a damp circuit).

Useful and interesting discussion.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:50 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks a lot guys for all your opinions and thoughts. I went to the dealer today only to find out the April allocation is for 4GTS which isn't what I intend to get. I may still place an order and wait for an 2GTS allocation becomes available which is a hard decision for me because I really do enjoy my .2 base w/ 7speed manual which I ordered and built the way exactly how I want it to be. If I do decide to proceed to order the 2GTS, I will get the RAS and leave the BOSE off the list, personally, stereo system in a sports car does not make much difference for me. I have BOSE in my .2 base now and that's one option I don't mind giving up.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:26 PM
fanporsche
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
My thoughts... since the RWS requires additional hydraulic plumbing and additional maintenance at the 60,000 mile / 6 year service and since the PDCC uses the same plumbing, if you are going to get one, you might as well get the other.

I am currently looking at two builds to order next year: either an S with all the performance goodies EXCEPT PDCC and RWS or a GTS will all the performance goodies INCLUDING PDCC and RWS.

I think the GTS deserved to be loaded.

Why does the RWS requires additional hydraulic plumbing??
Old 02-23-2017, 07:12 PM
philippe911
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

no more plumbing with RWD,but for PDCC...............pump,puley,plumbing,etc............

RWD is only electrical, but the ad unbalanced weight................(half weight)
Old 09-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread but just having got my car I can say that I'd rather have a C2S with rear wheel steer for performance than a GTS without rear steer. It's that good. You're much more likely to notice and make use of rear steer on roads and track than you would out of the extra boost you get from a GTS.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Wimankid
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Do any of you have the RAS option with power steering plus? When would you need power steering plus? SA is pushing this on my build for a GTS I need to lock at the end of the month.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 255 Posts

Power steering plus really doesn't do much. I had it on one car and not on another. I can't say I remember the difference.

Rear wheel steering on the other hand is amazing.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:28 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Wimankid
Do any of you have the RAS option with power steering plus? When would you need power steering plus? SA is pushing this on my build for a GTS I need to lock at the end of the month.
I had a 14 C2S with Power steering plus and now have a 17 C2S with sport package (includes RAS), PDCC, SPASM and NO Power steering plus. Power steering plus is a useless option to me, I would not get it.

Quick Reply: Is Rear Axle Steering a must have option for .2 GTS?