Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera cab vs Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:58 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had several of each. Current is a 991 cab. If it were up to me, meaning convince the missus, I'd have a 987 Spyder MT and a 991.1 or 991.2 GTS coupe with PDK. The cars are so different you will be making tradeoffs. Drive them both, a lot, and decide which you like better. The two Porsches I regret selling the most were my 97 993 coupe and my 2011 Boxster Spyder. The 993 for the obvious reasons. The Spyder because it was the most connected sports car I have ever driven. That's why it is my current avatar.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 689 Posts

Having owned both, I would definitely choose the Boxster, unless you plan to regularly put little kids in the rear seats.

The responsive almost go-kart like handling of the Boxster is fantastic, and funner to drive in most situations. Also the Boxster looks much better than the 911 cab. I think 911 hardtops are beautiful, but for convertibles the Boxster is much, much better looking. Fantastic cargo space in the Boxster as well. If you get an older naturally aspirated Boxster, you need a Boxster S or Spyder, as the base NA Boxster has insufficient power IHMO. If you are buying a new turbo Boxster or 911 cab, then it doesn't matter so much.

So unless you plan to put kids in the rear seats regularly or you are just a 911 snob, I would recommend the Boxster S over a 911 cab.

Last edited by Drifting; 02-22-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Having owned both, I would definitely choose the Boxster, unless you plan to regularly put little kids in the rear seats.

The responsive almost go-kart like handling of the Boxster is fantastic, and funner to drive in most situations. Also the Boxster looks much better than the 911 cab. I think 911 hardtops are beautiful, but for convertibles the Boxster is much, much better looking. Fantastic cargo space in the Boxster as well. If you get an older naturally aspirated Boxster, you need a Boxster S or Spyder, as the base NA Boxster has insufficient power IHMO. If you are buying a new turbo Boxster or 911 cab, then it doesn't matter so much.

So unless you plan to put kids in the rear seats regularly or you are just a 911 snob, I would recommend the Boxster S over a 911 cab.
+981, well said.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The only reason why I sold my 981 was the kids issue. Loved the go-kart feeling and the car always felt like it was on rails. Incredibly well balanced.

On August last year I had a couple of opportunities were my wife wasn't available and I couldn't take my kids around in my car. That's why I got a lot of push from my wife to change the car for a four door car. I was more intelligent and sold the kids the idea of the 911 first. The 911 back seats are not the most comfortable for them but for sure its a cool car... so they were sold on it. After that, the wife couldn't say no.

I tried the 718S not that long ago and I must say that it brought smiles to my face again. Great car and extremely fast. Better is several ways than the 981. If sound is an issue, you can always use PSE or an aftermarket exhaust system.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:19 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
...That's why I got a lot of push from my wife to change the car for a four door car. I was more intelligent and sold the kids...
Good call.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:20 PM
Incendiary
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Good call.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:30 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Sell the wife first. Kids have your DNA.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:41 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Some great humour here today

I would go the 981 Spyder, beautiful, unique and a very visceral driving experience - I think I may be correct in saying the 981 Spyder is Walter Rohrls daily - I would own one myself (the only reason I don't is due to local conditions - some dirt roads with unremovable red dust and occasional outbreaks of locusts - you really do not want to go through a swarm of these with the top down also my wife who has a lot of high-level experience in karts/open tops e.g. F3 insists on a hard top as we do quite a fe HPDE days in our old age).
Old 02-23-2017, 09:29 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
The Boxster seemed fun and the 911 a little sanitized during my test drives.
You nailed it. Also, the 6-speed gearbox in the Boxster is better than the 7-speed in the 911.

Now, I've not driven the 718, so I don't know how that's changed for the better or worse (other than reviews that I've read) from the 981, which is what I had.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:08 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by MJBird993
You nailed it. Also, the 6-speed gearbox in the Boxster is better than the 7-speed in the 911.

Now, I've not driven the 718, so I don't know how that's changed for the better or worse (other than reviews that I've read) from the 981, which is what I had.
Only if the gears were shorter than the 911. there is no perfect build with Porsche. That's the real problem. Otherwise the spider is probably the best they have.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:20 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Only if the gears were shorter than the 911. there is no perfect build with Porsche. That's the real problem. Otherwise the spider is probably the best they have.
The build configurator doesn't matter when you're behind the wheel and not behind a computer....
Old 02-23-2017, 11:53 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 689 Posts

Only if the gears were shorter than the 911.
Best way to solve that is with a GT3. The lower gearing is much funner to drive, and the .2 GT3 being announced next month will have a manual 6-speed option.

Last edited by Drifting; 02-24-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:24 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Best way to solve that is with a GT3. The lower gearing is much funner to drive, and the .2 GT3 being announced next month will have a manual 6-speed option.
With the manual option you will also need a cheque book devoted to "clutch replacement" particularly if you track it
Old 02-25-2017, 10:49 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

I don't particularly enjoy the driving dynamics of the 991 platform. It's artificially enhance where and the Boxster is held back by not Incorporating the superior multi link rear suspension for reasons of slotting. The Boxster is held back artificially and will never a competitor.

These deficiencies are starting to drain me of the Porsche experience. Why they don't want to build a perfect Porsche could only be because people don't really know any better and buy into the hype. A collusion between other manufacturers and Porsche also exists.
Without real competition from innovative companies they manage to coexist while deceiving the public. They don't want car wars when they can control the markets. With so many dumb people around excepting and not realizing the monopolization of the industry.

We are force feed by the managing powers. It's a joke when the system as intended becomes high jacked by the elitist's.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:00 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't particularly enjoy the driving dynamics of the 991 platform. It's artificially enhance where and the Boxster is held back by not Incorporating the superior multi link rear suspension for reasons of slotting. The Boxster is held back artificially and will never a competitor.

These deficiencies are starting to drain me of the Porsche experience. Why they don't want to build a perfect Porsche could only be because people don't really know any better and buy into the hype. A collusion between other manufacturers and Porsche also exists.
Without real competition from innovative companies they manage to coexist while deceiving the public. They don't want car wars when they can control the markets. With so many dumb people around excepting and not realizing the monopolization of the industry.

We are force feed by the managing powers. It's a joke when the system as intended becomes high jacked by the elitist's.
I'm thinking of adding a 987 to the stable... for this reason +IPD, 82mm TB, intake, full exhaust, tune, sways, coilovers. The lust for this is getting unhealthy.

Quick Reply: Carrera cab vs Boxster