991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dirty Runs

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017 | 07:48 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

I used to get these on my BMWs, all of them, without fail. White was the worst. It was very thick and grease like so I always thought it was oil/ lubricant leaching from the area inside the door. My 911 is black so if it's happening, I don't notice it.
Old 02-08-2017 | 07:58 PM
Bemo
Drifting

See pic for source of "dirty runs"

And I like LexVan's Nuns.

Either way clean those up and go for a nice drive , which is what we did this afternoon.

PTO doesn't stand for "Personal Time Off" but rather, Porsche Time Off.

You heard it here first
Attached Images   
Old 02-08-2017 | 08:18 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Hopefully it's not a neighbor.
Old 02-08-2017 | 11:44 PM
arch7
Instructor

Could be condensation this time of year from the warm high humidity interior and the cold door jamb? Does it happen in summer?
Old 02-08-2017 | 11:55 PM
STG
Race Director

I could see it being a drain hose under the car, but since the bottom has a flat covered surface, the a/c run off or whatever maybe runs across the bottom and maybe along the door sill possibly??

We need a better title to this post and a Porsche tech to respond!

Dirty runs
Old 02-09-2017 | 06:55 AM
randr
Banned

Its wind shield washer fluid - check the cap on the reservoir/over flow
Old 02-09-2017 | 09:41 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by randr
I think your correct, but maybe it's the type of washer fluid. Some de ice type fluids do leave a film.
Old 02-09-2017 | 12:36 PM
TTSPete
Racer

Originally Posted by randr
I will check it thanks. A friend of mine has a 2015 911 and he gets the same thing. I will let him know if this is the cure
Old 02-09-2017 | 01:43 PM
GTOWN83
Racer

Yes, I get the exact same runs. I've taken pictures and emailed them to the service manager at my dealership. He doesn't know what they are or what causes them. I had my car in the shop about 2 months ago and asked the service tech what they were. He tasted the runs with his finger and reported it wasn't oil, gas, or antifreeze. I have 7 thousand miles on my car now, and they appear less frequently.
Old 02-09-2017 | 02:35 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Just my $0.02, but it is either the windshield washer cap, or there is leakage of the same fluid coming from the hose which runs from the washer reservoir to the pumps for the headlight washing heads. The hose runs down through the driver-side fender to just behind the headlight assembly, then down to the front bumper cover with at least two T's that I can recall. If there is any leakage it is likely running down, along the top of the wheel well plastic cover, to the spot just behind the fender and escaping there. I had this exact same thing happen twice, once with the washer cap not on all the way, and second time happened due to my removal of the front bumper cover and I did not make sure the hose to the headlight washers was tightly connected.....
But maybe it is something else -- what the heck do I know??? ;-)

EDIT: I just recalled that there was a post months ago where someone had easily cracked or broken their windshield washer hose to the windshield or something, so in addition to a loose cap or headlight wash hose check those points as well!
Old 02-09-2017 | 02:38 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

As any Porsche Certified Mechanic would say -- "Its normal"
The following users liked this post:
cpbmd (12-12-2020)
Old 02-09-2017 | 03:57 PM
ntravaglino
Advanced

I had the same streaks on my 2015 C4S. I couldn't figure it out, and then one day my wiper fluid stopped coming out. Turns out the wiper fluid lines were made of plastic, can occasionally get caught under the bonnet, and subsequently crack.

The dealer replaced the lines with a softer/more flexible version that don't crack.

Wiper fluid is distributed normally, and until I saw this thread I never put two and two together but I have not seen those streaks on my rocker panels since that was fixed.
Old 02-09-2017 | 04:02 PM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Originally Posted by GTOWN83
Yes, I get the exact same runs. I've taken pictures and emailed them to the service manager at my dealership. He doesn't know what they are or what causes them. I had my car in the shop about 2 months ago and asked the service tech what they were. He tasted the runs with his finger and reported it wasn't oil, gas, or antifreeze. I have 7 thousand miles on my car now, and they appear less frequently.
And that poor tech is blind now....

Roger all above on the washer hose. Mine is plastic flex corrugate and cracked at the driver side frunk hinge and leaked there. Of course wimpy to no washer flow at the windshield. Fixed it by cutting and coupling two ends with overfitted rubber tubing...

Last edited by Vic and Ray; 02-09-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2017 | 09:18 PM
mtony
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
As any Porsche Certified Mechanic would say -- "Its normal"
"We couldn't pull any codes."
Old 02-10-2017 | 11:29 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

I have the streaks, and will get the wiper-fluid hose checked out.

I actually discovered another potential cause this morning. My window was frozen when I opened the driver's side door, so it barely lowered and I could hear the motor clicking as it kept trying I quickly got the container of anti-freeze wiper fluid and poured it along the bottom seal.

Guess where the wiper fluid came out? Right where the streaks are located. It seems possible that the streaks are also a result of dirty water flowing down the channel.

My car had the door hinges lubed when I bought it in Sept. I wonder if the water flows down the channel, and the streaks are a diluted-lubricant mix? Anyone else have their hinges lubed and notice a correlation? I don't know if the streaks happened before I purchased the car.

Quick Reply: Dirty Runs