Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Color conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:50 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

silvers and greys look good with red int and luxor biege, tan interiors. black int is good but very common. I dont like blue cars with black interiors.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:33 PM
2001_S15
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK I have solved it. Sapphire Blue over Graphite Blue interior. Close enough to black, not-black so solves that problem to me, doesn't clash horribly.

Thanks all for the thoughts - and for the encouragement to go Sapphire - my favorite color! I'm not quite brave enough to be superman.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

Glad you worked it out! Sapphire Blue is a fantastic color. I really like it. I also happen to be a huge fan of brown Porsches, and I'm now on my second one.

You'll love Sapphire Blue with the Graphite Blue interior. Very classy.

On another note, I think the two-tone Espresso/Cognac interior would look fantastic with Sapphire Blue.

Last edited by Dennis C; 02-07-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Sapphire Blue, while great, is just not quite as perfect as Aqua Blue. Yes it'll cost a few dollars for PTS, but you'll have a much rarer and just a bit classier color.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure I agree with Agate being too brown, but just traded my Agate MY13 C2S for a 17 GTS. After 4 years with Agate I was over it. It just didn't pop any longer for me. Ended up going to GT Silver, but SB was second choice.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Sapphire Blue really is a great exterior color. But I'd be careful about combining it with a dark blue leather interior as you said you have decided. For a GTS, the black leather alcantara with red stitching looks the business and will be far more appealing on resale/trade in future. I had a GT4 in SB with this color combo and it looked great. Subtle yet enough bling with the red stitching for an accent. See below. On GTS you would have the GTS letters in place of GT4 stitching on seats of course.

Also be sure to get real aluminum interior trim or else carbon fiber, not the standard plastic. In pics below this is the aluminum trim in black anodized which looks more like a dark grey aluminum.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:54 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lapis, that is a great look!
Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Lapis, that is a great look!
LOL, I was about to come on and say, "With all due respect, I had a Lapis 996 back in the day and it's a pretty boring Blue that looks black most of the time."

Then I saw that the gorgeous GT4 above was owned by none other than someone named... Lapis.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:50 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I had an Agate Grey C2s Cab with black leather and it was quite nice- did not note much of a brown tone to it at all. With yellow deviating stitching, it looks awesome.
Now I have Targa GTS in SB with black leather, aluminum/carbon fiber, alcantera delete and it is sublime! Exterior is just bold enough but interior is subdued- works for me.
Enjoy the journey!
Old 02-08-2017, 04:28 AM
parabola19
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an Agate Grey TTS cab with graphite blue/chalk interior and it looks great IMHO. I'd avoid the superman look unless you're specifically into that.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
LOL, I was about to come on and say, "With all due respect, I had a Lapis 996 back in the day and it's a pretty boring Blue that looks black most of the time."

Then I saw that the gorgeous GT4 above was owned by none other than someone named... Lapis.
Hah! Lapis Blue boring? No way. I also had a Lapis Blue Metallic 996 (Targa), my first P-car. Great color....

Old 02-08-2017, 10:06 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Got my '02 late in 02, as a leftover when the 03s had been out for several months. Loved the new 3.6, loved the new Lightweight Carrera wheels (like yours). Disliked the headlights, but thought the adoption for 02 of the Turbo lights was an improvement. But I disliked Lapis pretty strongly and REALLY disliked the Granite Grey interior. Solid medium grey on every visible surface on the inside of the car was a real turn-off.

But I was into good deals back then and got a whale of a good one.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:23 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001_S15
......Graphite Blue interior. Close enough to black, not-black so solves that problem to me, doesn't clash horribly.
IMO, when the best you can say about your interior selection is "it doesn't clash, horribly," what you're really saying is that you are resigned to living with a color which you don't like.
And given the colors you're showing, I can see why. IMO, the two blues are a, somewhat, clumsy combination. Sort of like wearing a blue suit where the blue of the jacket doesn't quite match the blue in the pants.

I think the effort to try and fashion match the exterior and interior of the car is not all that necessary. It's better to think of the exterior and interior as two different entities. Reason being, when your driving you see the interior and very little of the exterior. And of course those seeing you drive by don't see the combination either. Here, the color combination doesn't strike me as important.
Finally, Porsche is not offering any off the shelf interior/exterior colors which, when combined, would result in a bad color combination. In other words, Porsche has seen to it that you're not going to embarrass yourself among the population as whole regardless of what combinations you choose. Although, you might encounter some super finicky commenters, no matter what - like me, for example.
Bottom line- Forget about the exterior color and pick the interior color you enjoy looking at because that's the color you'll be staring at when you're behind the wheel.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:51 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Guards Red is the best color because its the fastest and everyone knows it.
Everyone knows that.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:56 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Agate grey is a really classy color.

Quick Reply: Color conundrum