Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   How many of us here are PCA members? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/974090-how-many-of-us-here-are-pca-members.html)

96redLT4 02-06-2017 02:34 AM

How many of us here are PCA members?

.....and if so, how active are you in your local region? I have been a member about 2 years. I love Panorama. I have been to all of one outing. It was fun and a great drive. Most people were at least a decade older than me (I am 52) and there were a LOT of people there. I did not realize how many local people have P cars! I wish I could participate more, but my kids are only young once and it seems like there is always something going on the weekends. I'm curious how active you guys are in this great organization.
Jim

points 02-06-2017 06:10 AM

Im a member. I dont know why. Next year Ill spend my 50 bucks somewhere else I predict.

subshooter 02-06-2017 07:01 AM

Member for four years. Fairly active. I go to about four events/year including road rallies, events, shows, rollouts of new models etc.

Keadog 02-06-2017 07:44 AM

25 years. Worth the cost for Panorama IMO and local chapter newsletter is fun to see. Not active at all. Been to a handful of events over the years, including one Parade (2010 at Pheasant "Run Down" in IL). Know a few other members, mainly from car shopping, my Indie mechanic and DEs.

rk-d 02-06-2017 07:54 AM

I am. Never got a sticker, but I did get Panorama which is nice.

Never been to a meeting. Probably never will. Chapter is most active a good bit east from me, so most of the events are not relevant or close by. Probably will not renew.

worf928 02-06-2017 08:17 AM

Closing on 20 years of membership. When I began I was much younger than the average. Now, not so much. Some years we'll do half-a-dozen events. Other years none.

GTOWN83 02-06-2017 08:40 AM

I've been a member for 4 years. I have never attended an event. I like the magazine.

LexVan 02-06-2017 08:48 AM

Long term member, here. I've done just about every type of event at least once. The last few years I mainly do volunteer work. I've even done volunteer work for other local regions (Mid-Ohio and Milwaukee). I've done volunteer work for National at Parade and Club Racing, and for PCNA at Porscheplatz. Always great people to work with, and work for.

NoGaBiker 02-06-2017 09:03 AM

15 years or so. I'm glad the club exists, I think Panorama has developed in the past four years from "Ah, the boring little club magazine's here; as soon as I've read every word of Excellence twice I'll flip through it" to "Oh good, Panorama has come and I have another new Porsche magazine to read through!"

But I never do anything club related; I've gone to three concours over the years, but they're open to the public and I just wandered through like a member of the public. A distant friend became Prez a few years back, and still I didn't get involved.

I'm no longer into actual track racing, so the Club Racing amenity isn't something I take advantage of; when I do track days it's through another source, never with PCA. And generally Club membership looks like it's primarily couples who are decades older than me, and I'm early-fifties!

I just don't feel any desire to socialize around car-ownership. And in the age of Internet tutorials on everything and instant dissemination of information, the local newsletter just feels like a collection of poorly-written accounts of fairly boring events.

But I'm old enough that I belonged to single-marque car clubs before the Internet, when they were pretty important to staying abreast of things affecting your beloved sports car, so I have a sentimental place in my heart for PCA.

991carreradriver 02-06-2017 09:17 AM

I have been a member about 3 years. I participate in PCA HPDE's averaging about 5-6 events per year. Have met a lot of very nice folks over the few years, some of which are now friends. Turns out that attending events is a good business networking opportunity as well.

996_soon 02-06-2017 09:21 AM

I just completed my 1yr membership and have been enjoying Panorama thus far. I have only attended 3 driving events but I'm scheduled for two between next mo. and Apr. It's hard making it to the meetings and events with two small children and wife's schedule. Overall, I enjoy it whenever I get time to participate.

Gary JR 02-06-2017 09:32 AM

I am thinking about the Carolinas region. It sounds like they have some good group rides from Georgia up through the Carolina mountains where our vacay home is.

freeman 02-06-2017 09:35 AM

I have been a member of a very small region for 39 years. I attend most events regularly. I am also editor of our newsletter.

NVRANUF 02-06-2017 09:46 AM

I've been a PCA member for the past 20yrs, used to attend 5 or 6 DE events annually.
Even became a PCA national instructor. I then got a race license and haven't been to a DE event in 5 years.
Still enjoy my Panorama Mag. :)

:cheers:

TerryC4S 02-06-2017 09:49 AM

17 years for me. I was active in the smaller regions I lived in but the Suncoast Florida region is huge. I attend maybe two events a year.