Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2WD vs 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:57 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in PNW rains all the time, C2S drives daily like a gocart with winter tires for under 40F, as long you don't try to do stupid **** like donuts on the road, you would be fine.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:17 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One last Post in this Thread.
Last summer I drove the 991.2 C4S on three separate tracks including RA, twice on each Track. The RA DE's were multiple day events.
The car was simply brilliant, just went anywhere you wanted go whether or not you planned going there. Only once, on a hairpin, did i get the back end loose on maybe cold tires. PSM always ON, Sport Plus PDK.
This winter with 19" ContiWinterContact, participated in a SnowCross series of events at RA.
RA is running three of these, so, two more to come.
Very slippery start boxes, no traction al all.
With PSM ON, could eventually accelerate but with PSM OFF, on the 1/4 mile timed event, eventually you had to lift because of losing control. The other courses were run in Sport Plus, first gear for engine braking and most turning was done with the throttle.
I live near a University with mulitpe large parking areas that I have been using for decades to test snow tires and control for the various 4X4 and AWD vehcile we have purchased.
In new 4" snow, the C4S handles very nicely but you can easily brake the rear out if you want.
So conclusions, for street or Track the C4S will exceed any of our driving capabilties.
One has a sense of supreme condfidence at most speeds ot at least the speeds I am comfortable with. On snow and ice, like any AWD vehicle, with prudent driving and good 'SnowFlake' tires, you should manage OK in up to 4" of snow.
But I feel much more comfortable in any of our Volvo XC70 wagons, 1999, 2003 and 2011.
The latter two run on Nokian WRG3's. I am even considering running the 2003 XC70 at one of the RA SnowCross events. For me this winter was going to be a learning experieince with the C4S and I am still learning.
As to a C2 or C2S, I have not driven either for a comparison but if i was just planning on non-winter conditions, I would see no need for anything else(AWD) and a C2 is certainly enough car for anyone.
If you want the ultimate in road holding and confidence, then the C4 or C4S non-winter.-Richard
Old 01-30-2017, 10:37 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

AWD gives you more traction and weight, wider hips (with not only the aesthetic but also the dynamic changes that that involves) and as a result, makes the car faster ("caeteris paribus", and at least in wet, probably in dry as well), at the expense of loosing some traditional 911 feeling.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Assuming you are driving the car in a normal fashion on public roads and not hooning the hell out of it, rwd is just fine. I suppose in snowy conditions it would be nice to have awd but on bad days I just take my SUV.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:55 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

In rain? Little to no difference. Stopping and hydroplaning is the danger.

Accelerating with AWD is much stronger... saw a video that compares one time on ice (still not rain) and it was mind blowing the difference. But... who drives on ice anyway?
Old 01-30-2017, 12:14 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
In rain? Little to no difference. Stopping and hydroplaning is the danger.

Accelerating with AWD is much stronger... saw a video that compares one time on ice (still not rain) and it was mind blowing the difference. But... who drives on ice anyway?
I plan to.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:35 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I plan to.
AWD will help you accelerate but not stop or corner.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:50 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Having driven AWD and RWD cars I don't think this is 100% accurate. The only time you don't get any benefit from the AWD is when braking. As long as you are on the gas, whether in a straight line or going around a corner, the AWD is helping you. The result is a more sure-footed feeling and a tendency for the car to go where you are pointing it up until you begin to lose front tire traction at which point the AWD car will tend to understeer a little more since the system is asking more from the front tires.

The RWD car will tend to oversteer a little more (that loose feeling you get from the rear) since the system is asking more from the rear tires.

In either case, the electronics will kick in and try to help you before it becomes a problem.

In the original AWD system (964) the understeer was pronounced and the C4 platform felt very different from the C2. Each model has progressively improved the C4 platform to the point where I believe there is now very little downside other than a little added weight, a small amount of drivetrain loss, a slight change in feel and some additional cost.

Last edited by Tlaloc75; 01-30-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:06 PM
kayjh
Drifting

I'll just slow down then.

I am driving a BMW 535 X Drive now and find the drive to work on mixed bare concrete/snow patches and frost with some ice at stop lights, much easier than with my older RWD 5 series.

You are right though, you can't defy the laws of physics and if you use AWD to accelerate without regard to the amount of tire grip available on snow/ice, you are headed for trouble in the form of a curb, snow bank, other car, tree, etc.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:15 PM
ericmeds
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sure the AWD can only help in slippery conditions.

When I first picked up the car, I drove back from the dealer day after a snowstorm in slippery conditions and had 0 issues w the C2. Car was completely planed even w stock summers.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:31 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by ericmeds
I'm sure the AWD can only help in slippery conditions.

When I first picked up the car, I drove back from the dealer day after a snowstorm in slippery conditions and had 0 issues w the C2. Car was completely planed even w stock summers.
I'd consider yourself lucky. Porsche recommends a tire switch below 40F, never mind when there is snow on the ground. I wouldn't drive a C4 in cold weather and snow with summer performance tires on. But, thats just me.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:22 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PNW owner '16 GTS 4--IMO summer/winter tires a must either in a 4 or 2 WD--given that I use mine as a daily driver i am very happy i chose the 4WD--
Old 04-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Venkat Ganapathy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone live in Chattanooga, TN with a 911. Looking for advice on 2wd va 4wd in that weather and in the terrain.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 07:37 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

I live in Toronto, Canada. I have had many RWD cars and they are all more fun than AWD. The only reason I have AWD (other than the fact that it is a Targa and only comes in AWD) is snow + hills. A RWD even with winter tires will not go up hills in my area, AWD no problem.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 PM
RCD
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the planted feeling of a C4 or 4S. That said, my current car is a 991 C2 and it is the best 911 I have owned thus far. The base handles brilliantly and, for me, is plenty of car for spirited twisty road driving. If you are more of an acceleration junkie, you might need an "S".

Quick Reply: 2WD vs 4WD