Sponsored by:

Model Choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:13 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts
Default Model Choices

As my order gets read to lock, I've been playing around on the configurator. My order is for a C4 with 20" RS, PDK, SC, PSE, steel sliding roof, LCA, GT Wheel, Multifunction, Entry, side sill painted. The build comes out at about $136,000 CAD.

I recall discussing model choices with my dealer last summer. At that time it was a decision between a C2, C2S and a C4. I went with a C4 as we have a prolonged winter here and I reasoned that I could drive my Porsche at least part of the winter if I selected a C4. I have test driven a C2 and determined it has more than enough performance for me.

Now that we are in the depths of winter, I'm starting to second guess myself, what with the rutted side streets and hard snow bumps on some of the main streets. I found myself on Friday at a Subaru dealer looking at an Outback for winter use.

So now, on the configurator, I see that I can have a C2S for about $2,000 more than the car I configured, if I remove the 20" RS wheels and spec the standard Carrera S wheels.

The dealer in Toronto told me in that area that their customers would pick the C2S over aC4 every time, while my dealer tells me they would have an easier time selling a C4 in my market (even though finding a 911 of the road in winter around here is a rarity).

Anyway, just musing out loud. I'm sure everyone here would opt for the more powerful car, given the choice, but I just wanted to see if anyone, other than me would pick the C4? Who knows, maybe I will drive the car part of the winter and get a less expensive Subaru Legacy for those days when the roads are just to snow filled.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

Every 911 that I have owned has been an AWD car. I have winter tires mounted on my cars (including the 911) from mid-October through mid-May. On really nasty days, I drive my GMC Sierra truck. For the next week though, it will be sunny with temperatures in the 40s. I hate the idea of not being able to drive the 911 when a nice day comes along. I vote for C4, or see if you can configure a C4S that meets your requirements.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:38 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Here's my distant third-party observation of what you've said. You thought a C4 had enough power, but now you doubt you need the 4 part since maybe you'll avoid driving in the nastier weather with it, but now you are considering a more powerful C2S for the same money more or less. Clearly money is a consideration since you are considering changing a few options to get the price back down a little.

If instead, you dropped back to a C2 (which you state has enough power), you'd end up with enough savings over a C4 or a C2S to buy a nice used Legacy for no more money than you were initially considering spending.

Another alternative type of vehicle to consider: I drive a well-maintained 2002 Supercab F150 with 180,000 miles on days I don't drive the 911 or our Lexus. It seats 6 and costs me little to maintain since parts for F150s are dirt cheap and these trucks are just rock-solid reliable in the first place. I have no qualms about taking it out in bad weather, it isn't worth a lot of money. There are often times when it is very nice to have a pickup truck for around-the-house stuff. And no, it doesn't bother my ego to be out in an old truck, it's in really good shape for its age and I kinda like having the alter-ego.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:40 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Every 911 that I have owned has been an AWD car. I have winter tires mounted on my cars (including the 911) from mid-October through mid-May. On really nasty days, I drive my GMC Sierra truck. For the next week though, it will be sunny with temperatures in the 40s. I hate the idea of not being able to drive the 911 when a nice day comes along. I vote for C4, or see if you can configure a C4S that meets your requirements.
I'm shocked (pleasantly) - one vote for awd.

I'd look at a C4S, but with a few extra bits (Sport Package) it drives the price up into the high $140's. Sometimes you have to know when to say when and for a second car $135,000 was it for me.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:09 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by StormRune
Here's my distant third-party observation of what you've said. You thought a C4 had enough power, but now you doubt you need the 4 part since maybe you'll avoid driving in the nastier weather with it, but now you are considering a more powerful C2S for the same money more or less. Clearly money is a consideration since you are considering changing a few options to get the price back down a little.

If instead, you dropped back to a C2 (which you state has enough power), you'd end up with enough savings over a C4 or a C2S to buy a nice used Legacy for no more money than you were initially considering spending.

Another alternative type of vehicle to consider: I drive a well-maintained 2002 Supercab F150 with 180,000 miles on days I don't drive the 911 or our Lexus. It seats 6 and costs me little to maintain since parts for F150s are dirt cheap and these trucks are just rock-solid reliable in the first place. I have no qualms about taking it out in bad weather, it isn't worth a lot of money. There are often times when it is very nice to have a pickup truck for around-the-house stuff. And no, it doesn't bother my ego to be out in an old truck, it's in really good shape for its age and I kinda like having the alter-ego.
I've thought about that too. I think I'm kind of stuck in this C4 though if I want a car for this summer. Not that a C4 is a bad place to be "stuck". Allocations are very difficult to find in Canada, so I'd be looking at a late summer delivery. I do like the flexibility the C4 allows though - which was my initial thinking. I can drive it into late November and then take it out again in early March. I guess I was thinking I'd need some sort of car for part of the winter, but not all. Now that I've tried the Outback, I'm kind of thinking maybe I'd just park the Porsche for the winter and get the nicer winter car. On the other hand the car is sitting there depreciating - why not drive it whenever I can. As you can see, I'm one conflicted dude.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:22 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Yeah, it's a big decision so I understand the conflict and didn't understand you couldn't change to a C2 readily. Yeah, the C4 is a good place to be stuck! I've had a C4, a C2S, and now a C4S (even down here in warm Texas!). You can count me in on the C4 vote at this point especially since the 991.2s are all crazy fast whether they are an S or not.

Unfortunately with our cars, there seems to be two fairly unavoidable sources of depreciation: Age and mileage. I fight myself almost daily about which car to drive trying keep the mileage reasonably in check but still have fun times without the car sitting in the garage all of the time.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

A little dated, but funny...

Old 01-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I love the wide body look of the C4 but I would choose a lighter, more powerful C2S and put winter tires on it and call it a day, every time.

And get a 2nd vehicle for really, really nasty days.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:34 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm driving a 991.2 C4S this winter but I do have a Volvo XC70 for a backup.
I have driven the C4S in 4"of snow both on the street and at a SnowCross.
That is the maximum snow depth I feel confident right now with 19" ContiWinterContact N0 spec tires.
If you get 12" of snow, you will not be driving the C4 very far in my opinion. But with modern snow removal, those conditions are brief except for a blizzard.
I understand your conlfict but you need to make the decision.
Maybe a Macan?-Richard
Old 01-28-2017, 11:42 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I love the wide body look of the C4 but I would choose a lighter, more powerful C2S and put winter tires on it and call it a day, every time.

And get a 2nd vehicle for really, really nasty days.
^This.

Your primary problem will be clearance, not traction, with a winter-tire-shod C2S. Pick up an AWD beater for snow storms; drive the 911 once roads have been plowed.

I have winter tires on my C2S, but have not taken it out in the snow. I am not concerned about losing control of the 911; I am worried that some moron in a beater with bald tires will slam into me.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Northern 911
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I've thought about that too. I think I'm kind of stuck in this C4 though if I want a car for this summer. Not that a C4 is a bad place to be "stuck". Allocations are very difficult to find in Canada, so I'd be looking at a late summer delivery. I do like the flexibility the C4 allows though - which was my initial thinking. I can drive it into late November and then take it out again in early March. I guess I was thinking I'd need some sort of car for part of the winter, but not all. Now that I've tried the Outback, I'm kind of thinking maybe I'd just park the Porsche for the winter and get the nicer winter car. On the other hand the car is sitting there depreciating - why not drive it whenever I can. As you can see, I'm one conflicted dude.
With the small price difference btw the C4 and the C2S I would take the S model. If you are sure that you will not be thinking "I should have bought the car with more power" then the C4 would be a good choice. Hard to beat the wide body on the 4's. I also live north of the border and bought a 991.1 C2S a few years ago and loved it. Initially I thought I might drive it through the winter and then each year I would change my mind come wintertime due to concern about clearance issues and about salt damage (also pricey to buy a new set of winter tires/rims). I recently ordered a C4S and switched the order it to a GTS4 a few weeks ago when the GTS launched. Love the wide body. You can't go wrong either way. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2017, 12:01 PM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In Toronto as well took order of C4S, in may, message me on the cost, perhaps you can work with my guy gave me a great deal, I am assuming the pricing you are sharing is without tax as well ?
Old 01-28-2017, 12:06 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 207 Posts

I think your initial C4 reasoning is a good one. Been driving my new C2. It is ultra powerful for non track use.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:17 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

If you go with the C2S and put winter tires you will be able to use it very often in the winter. The car is too low to the ground to be driving around in more than a few inches anyways.

IMO it all comes down to the configuration that you enjoy most when road conditions are favorable.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Stick with the C4. Wide rear is sweet from a looks perspective, and the 4 will give you confidence to drive it on more days in the winter than you otherwise might. I daily drive mine and the 4 is confidence inspiring on days where you get a few inches while at work and when everybody else is leaving early because of the fear of bad roads, you laugh at them because you know you have the 4 with winter tires on it.

Quick Reply: Model Choices