Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes vs Porsche ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:18 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I drive a 2017 C300 and a 2017 911 and I don't see the point.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:20 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

For Benz C300 the Luxury trim option will be smoother than most other C300 out there (majority have the sport trim, I dunno why...C300 isn't a sport car). One of my cars has the Luxury trim option, it is smooth.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:23 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I have a BMW 5 Series with the whole M Sport package - including suspension. It's significantly sportier than the standard suspension in the bimmer. Significantly more "tuned" in the M Sport and way less comfortable.

Just took the 991.1S on a 400Mile jaunt this week. For a sports car it was fantastic and people that say it is a GT don't have experience in a real GT. As great as it was.... it was not even close to the comfort of the "sport" bimmer - which is in turn likely better than a C class but way harsher than an E class.

That is an assessment anyone could have predicted. The 991 is great for a sports car but will never have the comfort of a lux sedan; nor was it ever intended to.
Thank goodness. When I want “comfort” I lay in my bed. When I want fun,911 all the way.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:14 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by RONGLOS
I drive a 2017 C300 and a 2017 911 and I don't see the point.
If your MB is wearing standard tires and wheels, that set up rides pretty nicely. The point is some MB products don't ride particularly well when in their sportier configurations, as compared to a Porsche.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:21 AM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think both Mercedes and Porsche have the best ride quality. One for comfort, one for sport.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:55 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

There isn’t a brand out there with a sloppier ride to handling combo than Merc. My E Classes exhibited exaggerated floatiness while going over harsh surfaces far more crudely than my lowered 911 on 2” bigger wheels and comparatuvely rubber band tires does, and they handled terribly. My moms new C is not much better (extremely sloppy chassis delivering no level of driving dynamics), A Classes are brutally bad, and even the (at least early) new S has had lots of complaints in suspension/balance when going over harsh surfaces.

Imo, nobody designs a worse chassis/suspension combo than M-B. And I really mean that, and say it from experience. My BMW was far better, and Porsche is literally the BEST at it. Nobody designs better poise and comfort over all surfaces while mixed with handling prowess. It’s incredible how comfortable their track ready sports cars are.

EDIT: True, M-B’s with “comfort” suspension will ride smoother than their bad joke of “sport” suspensions, though will be even floatier and more synthetic. I can’t criticize how lost in plot and lacking in nearly every manner M-B “sport” suspensions are. AMG’s don’t count. But M-B engineers to this day are far from figuring out how to do a proper sport suspension / chassis.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:49 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting results and as you said, not exactly surprising. What is surprising to me is just how well the 991 platform rides in general - especially for a low slung sports car with giant wheels and low profile tires. My daily is a new Mercedes E63S AMG and I have to say that despite my 911 being a GTS with SPASM and the Merc being a 2 ton bruiser with air suspension there's honestly not a lot in it in terms of ride quality between the two cars. I think Mercedes has overcorrected on the ride/handling balance for AMG cars. I actually enjoy a stiff ride and find the E63's handling to be amazing for such a big, heavy car but I can see how the previous owner traded it back in for a S550 after just 2 months of ownership.

Quick Reply: Mercedes vs Porsche ride quality