Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDCC reservoir replacement at 60K miles.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 03:27 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by GraSox
When you say “belt” needs to be replaced....are you talking Serpentine belt?
thanks!
Yes at 60K which is the same as the PDCC bottle.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:29 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kamrooz Karimi
Thanks for all info
Just one think how bleed system ? Need dealer do by computer ?
Yes I believe the car has to be hooked to the service computer to make it dance like the video to bleed the system.

In my case they had to replace a hard line that the tech damaged when removing the bottle ..... if you replace the bottle alone the bleeding process might not be needed.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:29 PM
cenzzo
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for posting those PDCC PDF's!

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
In looking at the work shop manual, it's straight forward but layers of the car will be on the floor before you get to the pump.
Really appreciate your doing that, I've a leak that seems to be coming from that pump and I was having a hard time understanding where the heck it was located!
The drip is definitely red though, and the fluid that's being talked about is Pentosin, which is green. This 2012 991 Carrera S only has 23k miles on it, and I doubt
this fluid has been changed - could it have been filled with regular red ATF from the factory?
Old 11-01-2020, 10:45 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cenzzo
Really appreciate your doing that, I've a leak that seems to be coming from that pump and I was having a hard time understanding where the heck it was located!
The drip is definitely red though, and the fluid that's being talked about is Pentosin, which is green. This 2012 991 Carrera S only has 23k miles on it, and I doubt
this fluid has been changed - could it have been filled with regular red ATF from the factory?
I don't know if we have any red fluids.

Does anyone know if the active engine mounts have red fluid?
Old 11-01-2020, 11:07 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,329 Likes on 750 Posts

60k or 6 year service has a list of items which include PDCC reservoir replacement, drive belt, AWD controller oil (if you have AWD), brake flush and depending on where you are with plugs, oil change and air filters is a scary amount of $’s from the dealer.

When I moved my car to Florida last year I already had plugs, air and cabin filters and brake flush done in Pa. I went to the dealer in Naples to get an estimate for PDCC, AWD controller and drive belt. They came with a first estimate @ $3500. And this was with the rear bumper coming off already for the heat shield recall. After I told them they were insane the service manager called to lower the price to $2800.

I found a great Indy in Bonita Springs with a Porsche certified tech that did everything plus for $1400. I’ll do my own oil changes. The dealer will rape and pillage for this service.
The following users liked this post:
Miatavi (08-31-2023)
Old 11-01-2020, 11:41 AM
cenzzo
7th Gear

I don't know if we have any red fluids.

Does anyone know if the active engine mounts have red fluid?
Interesting thought as the leak does seem to be right under the rear mount.
But quite a lot of fluid has come out. I can’t imagine it holding that much.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:20 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Looking at the picture above that really looks like pink coolant.

Is the coolant bottle anywhere near or is the overflow tube close by?
Old 11-01-2020, 01:54 PM
cenzzo
7th Gear

Looking at the picture above that really looks like pink coolant.

Is the coolant bottle anywhere near or is the overflow tube close by?
Thank you again for this input. I always thought that coolant was green, however, I did a quick search, and on another thread, “Coolant leak“ it totally shows my situation. Using a car cover, I actually hadn’t noticed anything on the ground till this incident, though periodically I had a white-ish residue on my back bumper that bedeviled me. Now I realize that when I covered the car after driving, the fluid was dripping into the car cover, so whenever I dragged it off the car, I was now rubbing it on the car. Mystery revealed! Thank goodness it didn't eat the paint! It totally evaporates, so it’s not “oil” per se. It might be an overflow tube, or a coolant tank or fitting leak, but at least now I know where to start. Thanks for pointing me toward the possible culprit here!
CSK 911 C4S (11-01-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 07:24 PM
mx-5
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope it's not off topic...

My PDCC reservoir is overdue for replacement. The car is meant to go into hibernation so I was going to DIY a few maintenance task. One thing led to another on my list: oil and filter, engine air filter, spark plugs, and then while I'm at it, the serpentine belt. Up to this, I have tools and comfortable to perform, however, I learned the belt will lead right to the PDCC reservoir. Is there a need to bleed, and without PIWIS, is this a DIY job?
Old 11-15-2020, 10:12 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mx-5
Hope it's not off topic...

My PDCC reservoir is overdue for replacement. The car is meant to go into hibernation so I was going to DIY a few maintenance task. One thing led to another on my list: oil and filter, engine air filter, spark plugs, and then while I'm at it, the serpentine belt. Up to this, I have tools and comfortable to perform, however, I learned the belt will lead right to the PDCC reservoir. Is there a need to bleed, and without PIWIS, is this a DIY job?
The bleeding process requires a PIWIS to make the car “dance” to bleed the system correctly. I wanted to do it at my local indie shop but they didn’t seem to eager to want to do it.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:16 PM
mx-5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
The bleeding process requires a PIWIS to make the car “dance” to bleed the system correctly. I wanted to do it at my local indie shop but they didn’t seem to eager to want to do it.
And if I don’t need to see the car dance, is bleeding the system necessary for the replacement itself?
Old 11-15-2020, 10:36 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mx-5
And if I don’t need to see the car dance, is bleeding the system necessary for the replacement itself?
You do not want air in a pressurized hydraulic system. Removing the reservoir requires removing the pump which will introduce air into the system as some fluid is lost in pump and lines. The fluid is corrosive too and needs to be cleaned up quickly. That whole area of the car is pretty tight too.
C4SJOHN (06-24-2023)
Old 11-15-2020, 10:54 PM
mx-5
Advanced

You do not want air in a pressurized hydraulic system. Removing the reservoir requires removing the pump which will introduce air into the system as some fluid is lost in pump and lines. The fluid is corrosive too and needs to be cleaned up quickly. That whole area of the car is pretty tight too.
Thank you, that answers what I’m looking for. I’ll stick to what I know to stay out of trouble.
Old 06-22-2023, 12:05 PM
jpu1
Instructor

Received 177 Likes on 73 Posts

What fluid does the PDCC take? My car is 7 years old but only has 42k miles. Not sure I want to replace the PDCC reservoir just yet.
Can anyone answer this? Unless it's been right in front of me this whole time, hardest question to answer so far in my 8 months of 911 ownership. I think I've narrowed it down to PS fluid...just any oem porsche PS fluid?

Thank you all!!
Old 06-24-2023, 02:56 PM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

For the 991.2 generation cars it's Porsche part 000 043 206 56 which translates to Pentosin 202. This is from the part fiche that Porsche calls V-Pages. You can use Pentosin 11s for a top off since it is mixable with 202. I have both since 202 is used in Audi dedicated power steering systems and 11s was used as a hydraulic fluid in the older Audi systems that ran both the brake boost and PS. When my car is up for this service I will use 202.

Quick Reply: PDCC reservoir replacement at 60K miles.