Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GTS, Manual, NA - Hold onto it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 PM
sean7a
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.1 GTS, Manual, NA - Hold onto it?

Comes off lease in May. Looks like current values for this car, with 12k-ish miles, is around 110-120 (if lucky).

With a payoff of around 90k, I could make near 10-15k private market or 5-10k thru a dealer, I think. BUT, long term, do youthink its a car with holding onto to pay for kid's college or will these cars never appreciate to that level? Being one of the last ever NA's and a manual, with center locks, I'm wondering if it could be a lil diamond in the rough. Obviously there's no crystal ball. Keep the "you're a wishful moron" comments to a minimum. Just looking for some musings from fellow porsche-philes.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

It may appreciate in the long run, but if you are my age, you won't live to see it.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

What would you think of replacing it with?

My point being, the car has taken a nice depreciation hit as is. Even if you buy it out. Going forward it will cost you 50% less per month at least than any new 911 lease.

Future worth?? The car will never be worth less than about $85K with fair mileage. My guess, 10-20 yrs from now will be worth over $100K. Will it even be worth more than MSRP? Likely no.

Better things to do with your money as an investment, but if wanting a nice toy your money is pretty safe going forward with limited money out the door. Per month, what's is going to cost in depreciation?? $500 maybe.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Who knows...there are a few gts cars that were listed around 100-105 in the last couple of weeks. I think the manual, na certainly help...CL not so much.

I'd try to use it on trade for another car to enjoy, that is unless you are still enjoying this one. The gts is a essentially an optioned up s w/ power kit and it probably won't hold as well as a 50th...which imo is the car to have if you are thinking longer term.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:04 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
.......... The gts is a essentially an optioned up s w/ power kit and it probably won't hold as well as a 50th...which imo is the car to have if you are thinking longer term.
Truth, as much as the posse doesn't want to hear it.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Who knows...there are a few gts cars that were listed around 100-105 in the last couple of weeks. I think the manual, na certainly help...CL not so much.

I'd try to use it on trade for another car to enjoy, that is unless you are still enjoying this one. The gts is a essentially an optioned up s w/ power kit and it probably won't hold as well as a 50th...which imo is the car to have if you are thinking longer term.
Oh boy, now you've done it. GTS zealots to enter the discussion in 3...2...

OP, I think you're being very optimistic about what your car is worth, so I'd find a buyer before you buy out the lease, if flipping it is your plan.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:14 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

My whole decision on this matter would be how much you want to spend for a car on a monthly basis.

Cheapest option is holding onto the current one.

Don't care? Lease a new one.

Wouldn't worry about any "future" appreciation. Not a deciding factor here really short term at all.

Like I said, the for the next 3yrs you can expect about $500/mo deprecation.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:20 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by sean7a
Comes off lease in May. Looks like current values for this car, with 12k-ish miles, is around 110-120 (if lucky).

With a payoff of around 90k, I could make near 10-15k private market or 5-10k thru a dealer, I think. BUT, long term, do youthink its a car with holding onto to pay for kid's college or will these cars never appreciate to that level? Being one of the last ever NA's and a manual, with center locks, I'm wondering if it could be a lil diamond in the rough. Obviously there's no crystal ball. Keep the "you're a wishful moron" comments to a minimum. Just looking for some musings from fellow porsche-philes.
You are assuming an air-cooled phenomenon with the 991s. I think that's optimistic. 993 to 996 was a radical departure in size, architecture, etc. The difference between a 991.1 and a 991.2 is pretty subtle in comparison. You could argue that the 997 may ultimately be the sweet spot of the "last NA" 911s, given it's smaller size and more traditional 911 characteristics.

I think the 991.1 GTS should depreciate nicely and you won't take quite as much a loss as normal. If you love the car, then obviously keep it. But keep in mind that the .2 GT3 will almost certainly be NA. So, your car will probably not be "the last" NA 911 and I do not think it will appreciate.

Now the 991.2 GT3 may be a different story.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

If there truly is that big a difference between what you can buy it for, and what it's really worth, it means that you've already paid a huge amount of depreciation in the lease deal. By purchasing it outright, and having a lower monthly depreciation, it simply is evening out what you would have paid on a monthly basis had you bought it outright, and kept it for the same amount of years. But, while the depreciation will be lower for the next several years, you'll also be looking at a car that is outside of the warranty period, and likely will need brakes, tires, and other miscellaneous maintenance things. All it takes is a few of these things to cost a few thousand bucks, and put you back into a cost per month where you could have simply purchased or leased a new car. The people leasing these things are not dummies. The balance will always favor the customer getting a new car, rather than dumping money into an older one.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:26 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Keep and enjoy it. The $$ you save on the deprecation of the replacement will pay a good portion of your kids tuition.02 T
Old 01-11-2017, 02:29 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
What would you think of replacing it with?

Future worth?? The car will never be worth less than about $85K with fair mileage. My guess, 10-20 yrs from now will be worth over $100K. Will it even be worth more than MSRP? Likely no.
Only if you stop driving it now and put a cover on it.
Realistically 10 years from now, you'll have at least 80 K on it and it's going to sell like a 12 year old car.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:02 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

who knows. if you enjoy it, keep it. in the end of the day, these are cars and not art.

it may go up, down, or stay the same. that's my advice to you.

i have a 991.1 GTS and i love it, i will keep it for a very very long time. if i make money on it when i sell it 30 years from now, awesome. if not, i would have the best 30 years driving my NA, manual, RWD, 911 ever.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:06 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The payoff price is what its worth. The guys who figure out the residual values on a lease have way more resources than a bunch of dudes on a forum. That's assuming the forum members do not work for Porsche financial. Also, you'll want to CPO it and soon have to buy new tires, etc. So that will add to the overall cost.

If you really like the car and can't stop driving it, then by all means keep it.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Another way to look at it is like this:. I have purchased cars off lease before, both because I loved the car and because I thought it was too nice to let go for that price. At the end of another three years, I'd bought new tires and brakes, and my car now looked like a 6 yr old car instead of a barely used 3 yr old car. I'd also purchased an extended warranty. So I've always ended up being minimally, if any, better off financially than if I'd dumped it and acquired a new one. In the end, I've always wished I'd just bought a new car at lease end.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:28 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crystal ball

Forecasting the future value of the .1 GTS long term is going to be fun but futile...

But stating that leasing permanently new cars is cheaper than owning long term is going to be "difficult to prove". Convenient, yes. Safer, yes. Cheaper???

Quick Reply: 991.1 GTS, Manual, NA - Hold onto it?