Sponsored by:

ordering new - turbo effect on manual vs PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 50 Posts
Default ordering new - turbo effect on manual vs PDK

I'm about ready to order a new 911 as my lease is up soon. I'm a long time 911 driver and currently have 15 Carrera S, manual. I generally prefer the manual to PDK although I'm rethinking that bias for my next car. My dealer, who I totally trust, is telling me to order the PDK. He says that when the clutch is in on the manual, turbo boost is lost and the power needs to rebuild when the clutch is re-engaged. On the PDK, because the engine is never off power, the boost is not lost and thus the engine is always on boost. I never heard that before.
So, I test drove 3 different cars today - a base 911 manual, a C4S PDK, and a 16 Panamera GTS. The base car manual felt a bit faster than my current C2S and the power comes on lower in the RPM range. I did not feel any turbo lag or loss of boost as my dealer described. The C4S PDK was definitely faster and the PDK gear box is lightening quick shifting - BUT - me being an old school guy, still preferred the manual. Finally, even though it's not the car for me, the Panny GTS was just amazing, Very fast, handles like its on rails and the exhaust note is the best ever. It drives small BUT its huge. Great car and a bargain for the right buyer.
Back on point, I'd appreciate any thoughts re the issue of turbo lag on the manual vs PDK.
Separately, on the issue of sport chrono or not, I hate that little controller stalk on the steering wheel. So I'm thinking of not ordering sport chrono. I don't really care about launch control or rev matching and I don't track my car. I can't see any real need for it. Your thoughts??
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:11 PM
dmtsc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove a 2017 manual Carrera and never felt a loss of turbo boost, fyi.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Sport Chrono will make selling it a bit easier if you get PDK.
The Dynamic Boost Function on the Turbo holds the boost off-throttle to reduce any lag. Not sure if it is in the Carrera as it would help the manual. PDK cars are hitting insane 0-60 (3.2 for the PDK C2S convertible) so there's always that to consider.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:27 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Its funny that people buy manuals because they are more powerful and faster, when all PDKs have the faster acceleration times , since they were invented
but you better hurry up and buy a manual if you want one because porsche is going to stop manufacturing them
Old 01-08-2017, 09:27 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 180 Posts

Based on my personal experience turbo lag on the 7MT C2S was quite apparent. However, turbo lag on the 7MT C2 seemed considerably less.

The PDK almost eliminated turbo lag on both variants.

I highly recommend the base if you want to row through the gears. If not go for the S with the fantastic PDK. They are both awesome but the base was my favorite version paired with the manual transmission.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:29 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm a hard core manual guy also but ordered a 991.2 C4S in PDK(it's just that good)after test driving PDK and manual back to back on several occasions. In regard to turbo lag, I did notice a small amount with the manual where I noticed almost none with PDK. Honestly you cannot go wrong with either choice, I cannot remember enjoying a car as much as this new 991.2- it's just fantastic!!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:16 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 259 Posts

i'm not sure how this goes as far as comparisons but I came from a 14 TTS cab with PDK and i just found it boring so i sought out a 17 manual C2S cab and i freakin love the thing. its so much more engaging and personally you can minimize the lag better, i'm not sure if its the rev matching or i just tend to stay in a high enough rpm range, but I don't feel it at all..

I love PDKs too, on my RS Sport PDK is a necessity I can't shift that fast..

Quick Reply: ordering new - turbo effect on manual vs PDK