Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche give us a SPASM on the cheaper models

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017 | 09:07 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Default Porsche give us a SPASM on the cheaper models

Why are they not giving us the SPASM and sport suspension option on the base 991 and 981? Give us the sport chassis option, and the limited slip without the torque vectoring bs.
Old 01-06-2017 | 10:13 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

They no longer build sports cars for the kinds of guys who bought 356s and early 911s and then had to be careful what they spent on the other parts of their lives, which included saving for long periods of time to be able to buy the "go-faster" parts.

But, one idea that has crossed my mind (after realizing that I cannot afford to take my 991 to DE events because physical damage coverage is so expensive) is to order a 2018 plain 718 Boxster, standard color, std wheels, 6MT, no options except the 4-way sports seats plus. Then, once in hand do a serious LSD (like Guard) without the PTV that wears out rear brake pads, get a Cobb AP with a Pro Tune after all the planned mods, and adjustable anti-sway bars. I would not touch the standard springs until I finished trying different set-ups on the bar adjustments. I'd probably end up getting a decent aftermarket exhaust, again, waiting on that item a bit to see where the aftermarket development goes. A base Cayman would be slightly cheaper and better.

This is just my idea of how to get around all the packages, options that require you to buy even more options, having to upgrade to an "S" to get the few options you really find necessary, with the usual result being that we mostly finally give in and add 50% to the cost of the car with options.

One particularly good point in favor of a zero or very low options 718 Cayman/Boxster is that the car will always be so far ahead of me as a driver that I can continue to improve, knowing the car always has more to give.

And, maybe the best part is that the new 718 models are not selling all that well, which could yield a healthy discount, even though it would not be a very profitable sale for the dealer.

Porsche is not the same company that built the 964 RS America, which was almost $10,000 cheaper than the regular 964 Carrera 2. On top of that, when the first US 993 C2 models came out they cost about $5,000 less than the earlier 964 C2. Porsche was simply trying to stay independent and survive back then.
Old 01-07-2017 | 07:24 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Base 718 with your own mods seems like the way to go I guess
Old 01-07-2017 | 07:26 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Lack of demand.
Old 01-07-2017 | 07:34 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Riz
Why are they not giving us the SPASM and sport suspension option on the base 991 and 981? Give us the sport chassis option, and the limited slip without the torque vectoring bs.

YES!

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Lack of demand.
Nope. They wont offer it though on the base model because they want us to step up to the S where the real profit is..

Can't get PTV (except on the C4), RWS etc. Sucks. I would pay twice the amount for SPASM on the base model. Porsche loses money on me with that restraint.

I even called Porsche exclusive to see if I can make some back door deal. No dice.

Quick Reply: Porsche give us a SPASM on the cheaper models