Sponsored by:

Ride Quality C4S vs C2S

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 02:52 PM
skynet
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ride Quality C4S vs C2S

I like a spirited drive. I also have my daily commute which has a few rough roads.

I'm considering a C4S car. Do any of you notice ride comfort differences between 2 and 4 versions?
Old 01-06-2017, 04:04 PM
David in Talent
Racer

I have a 991.1 Carrera 4GTS with option PDCC and SPASM. Ride is comfortable in NORMAL mode. Previous car was a 997 Carrera 4S with standard PASM. The 991.1 is MORE comfortable riding than the 997.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:22 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Ride 'Quality' between the 991 C2S and C4S are the same if they are similarly configured (PASM/SPASM, etc). Ride 'Handling' is rather different between the two and it's really a personal preference in this area if you are considering the C4S for other than weather reasons. Though both vehicles feel well planted, you can definitely feel the front wheels grab the road when the rears are losing traction - even slightly. I was more easily able to get the rear end loose in my C2 than the C4 which was always entertaining. Some of the purists will say that the C4 takes away the 'fun' of the rear wheel only cars, but I am not fussed as I can easily get squirrelly even in the C4S; it just reacts differently through the turns. Plus, I love a big a$$ :-)
Old 01-06-2017, 04:40 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

and most of the drive is sent to the rears most of the time anyway

+2 for the big a$$ :-)
Old 01-06-2017, 05:22 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
Ride 'Quality' between the 991 C2S and C4S are the same if they are similarly configured (PASM/SPASM, etc). Ride 'Handling' is rather different between the two and it's really a personal preference in this area if you are considering the C4S for other than weather reasons. Though both vehicles feel well planted, you can definitely feel the front wheels grab the road when the rears are losing traction - even slightly. I was more easily able to get the rear end loose in my C2 than the C4 which was always entertaining. Some of the purists will say that the C4 takes away the 'fun' of the rear wheel only cars, but I am not fussed as I can easily get squirrelly even in the C4S; it just reacts differently through the turns. Plus, I love a big a$$ :-)
Another +1. Everything said here is completely in line with my experience as well and I test drove a couple of both before buying this last time around. No worries about ride feel differences unless you think you can detect the ~100 lb difference, and I'd argue the extra traction makes up for that.

The only difference I feel is when pushing the car hard, mostly at launch or in corners where it becomes quite noticeable. And yes, I can get the 991 4S squirrelly too when pushing hard in corners, but it is nicely neutral and controllable when doing so, much more so than my 997s were. I previously had a C4 and a C2S in the 997 days and would say the ride was comparable then too, although I can't 100% say since they were configured differently.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:31 PM
skynet
Rennlist Member

Its hard to judge ride quality on test drives, so I like what I'm hearing.

I think you have to have car for a while to judge it. I can say that I test drove a C4S with SPASM and it felt a little chippy. I also drove a C2S with SPASM and PDCC and that car was very smooth. Hard to say though if it wasn't just tire tread and pressure differences, different roads and even your mood can change.....
Old 01-06-2017, 05:47 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by skynet
Its hard to judge ride quality on test drives, so I like what I'm hearing.

I think you have to have car for a while to judge it. I can say that I test drove a C4S with SPASM and it felt a little chippy. I also drove a C2S with SPASM and PDCC and that car was very smooth. Hard to say though if it wasn't just tire tread and pressure differences, different roads and even your mood can change.....
Ah. There is an important difference between a car with SPASM and a car with PDCC & SPASM (mine has both). In the car with PDCC, the hydraulic coupling to the ends of sway bars is relaxed when the car is just cruising, somewhat decoupling the sway bars and allowing for freer movement of each wheel and a smoother ride. So that alone would explain the ride difference in my opinion. And as you note, you could use the TPMS readouts to check to see if tire pressures would explain some of it. I think if you get two identically configured C2 and C4s, including tire pressure, you'd find the ride to be the same.

I like the term "a little chippy"! I'll have to remember that.

Quick Reply: Ride Quality C4S vs C2S