Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Experience Center LA

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 02:46 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Oh, one last point. I did give the driving instructors a small tip. I don't think it was necessary but I saw people before me doing it. Most of the instructors seemed like young people early in their racing careers, and they seemed to appreciate it

J
Old 04-23-2017, 03:23 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Oh, one last point. I did give the driving instructors a small tip. I don't think it was necessary but I saw people before me doing it. Most of the instructors seemed like young people early in their racing careers, and they seemed to appreciate it

J

Are you sure they weren't just placating you because you are the customer?
Old 04-23-2017, 02:23 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Are you sure they weren't just placating you because you are the customer?
Hey, if someone offered me $20, I'd take w a smile and say thanks!

J
Old 04-24-2017, 07:49 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Just went to the PEC yesterday and thought I would share my thoughts. I did 2 experiences- GT3/turbo and 'master the manual'. I'll try to add some thoughts that have not been mentioned above
GT3/turbo. Probably the more exciting of the 2. It is the most expensive, I think at around $950, but arguably worth it. For the GT3 portion I actually got to drive an Ultraviolet colored RS. Phenomenal car and I was actually a tiny bit queasy after flinging this and the turbo around the small track for 90 minutes. I noticed that they put air-sickness bags in the cars but fortunately did not have to use mine. Even thought the session is from 11 to 1, you only get to drive the cars for 90 min so they have a chance to 'cool off'. Some might complain about this. Its 90 minutes of serious thrashing if you want to, however with an instructor, who I think are all P factory drivers, at your side. Instruction overall is excellent. I loved the RS much more than I thought I would and thought it would be a great car for my weekend drives on back country roads.
Master the manual. Much less expensive, but was not quite as enjoyable as I thought. Drove a GT4 for the whole time. Great car but I just felt I was not picking up the heel toe and rev matching (without pushing the button to cheat like I can in my car) like the instructor wanted me to.
I just ate at the cafe where I thought the sandwich was good. People were very nice and obviously enjoyed working there. LA traffic was,. as expected, somewhat unpredictable and mostly bad. We stayed in Marina Del Rey at the Ritz which has a connection that we did not know about beforehand to transport you to PEC and even to do limited test drives.
I'm not sure I would do it again, but awesome to try once especially if you have a gift certificate like I had from my lovely wife.

Jim
Nice write up and cool you got to share it with your family. Interesting you got to drive the RS as well, did you have to ask especially for that?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:02 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
Nice write up and cool you got to share it with your family. Interesting you got to drive the RS as well, did you have to ask especially for that?
I was supposed to drive GT3 and turbo but the instructor told me we had an RS instead. I did not argue

Jim
Old 06-30-2017, 11:48 PM
Super50
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am considering doing this soon...got a few questions.
My daily driver is a 2014 991 C2S with PDK.
I can only do one experience this trip.
This will be my first track experience.

Should I drive the 911 Carerra S first and become a better driver?
Or should I go for the more expensive Turbo or GT3 or GTS experience?
I am afraid I may like my own car a bit less afterwards!
Old 07-01-2017, 12:17 AM
ieatfishburritos
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Super50, I have a C4S with PDK and was in the same boat as you. I did the 4S experience and was thrilled with my choice. The experience I took was much more realistic to my current car and I learned things which I could apply.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:31 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Did "Master the Manual" yesterday, started in a GT4 then a manual '17 C2S. 1st time I've driven either, preferred the 911 by some margin. Just couldn't get excited about the GT4, as much as it's touted as a mini GT3 that's not how it felt to me. I've driven GT3's several times including on that same track, the GT4 just felt like a faster Cayman.

Getting into the 911 by comparison felt 'right'. Maybe I'm just too used to how they handle and feel, and sure the '17 engine doesn't howl like the old 3.8 but it still pulls hard and I didn't notice any turbo lag at all, even doing circles on the skip pan at very low revs in 2nd. Tickle the gas and it just responded. Very impressive.

Shout out to Oscar Jackson as well, good operator and super nice guy who makes sure you enjoy the session to the max. He's been my guide both visits and I'd recommend him without hesitation.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:11 AM
Super50
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ieatfishburritos - Thanks so much for your input. I took your advice and signed up for the Carerra S experience.
I loved it. Today's experience has made me a much better and SAFER driver.
Judging by today's experience, the turbo or the GT3 would have been too much for me.
I especially enjoyed the slippery surface training.

I have a new appreciation for what I have in my garage, and what it is capable of.

I also did the simulator which was kinda fun, and had the best veggie wrap I have had in a while from their cafe. I was unable to get into 917 because there was a private event.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:21 AM
ddodds
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Just did 911 GTS experience this morning, what an awesome experience! Launch control with the new turbo is pretty sweet.

Quick Reply: Porsche Experience Center LA