Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone figured out the Rattle Behind Gauge Cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:51 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Has anyone figured out the Rattle Behind Gauge Cluster?

Does anyone else with a 991.1 have this issue?

A rattle noise coming, or seems like its coming from BEHIND the Gauge Cluster. Its sounds like something loose.

Drives me crazy going over rough payment, which seems to be everywhere.

I'm seriously considering taking the gauge cluster off, but don't know where to start.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Is this the fuel tank/firewall issue? Try searching those key words.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:08 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Tank pads
Old 12-29-2016, 06:15 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

OK, lets assume it is the Gas tank, how to get to it? Anyone know how?
Old 12-29-2016, 08:29 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

My dealer is still working on this one for me. I'll let you know if they fix it. They don't think it's the tank pads in my case, as the sound is more metallic and less styrofoam-squeaky.

http://tinyurl.com/targarattle
Old 12-30-2016, 11:19 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

There are lots of possibilities. My 2012.5 C2S developed a similar sounding rattle after a "campaign" recall. It turned out to be something plastic detached in the firewall area under the removable rubber cove.

Drove me and the dealer nuts until I showed up one cold morning at 7:30 and took a tech for a ride. He heard it, looked and found what was loose and fixed it by attaching what ever it was to its mount. Took him about 2 minutes.

Here's hoping your's turns out to be something simple.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:07 PM
Sayyaaf
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
There are lots of possibilities. My 2012.5 C2S developed a similar sounding rattle after a "campaign" recall. It turned out to be something plastic detached in the firewall area under the removable rubber cove.

Drove me and the dealer nuts until I showed up one cold morning at 7:30 and took a tech for a ride. He heard it, looked and found what was loose and fixed it by attaching what ever it was to its mount. Took him about 2 minutes.

Here's hoping your's turns out to be something simple.
I had both issues on my GTS. The one with the tank pads is more like foams rubbing each other. The one in the dash you mentioned above is more like metal resonance ... that one the dealer told they had a recall of bolt that was getting loose over time and had to be changed with different bolt tightened with different torque also.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:51 AM
LTP
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my comes out front he passenger side when I enter rough pavements. The sound is more a buzz and vibrate of the front dashboard area. Btw, my is RHD, will be interesting to know what is the cause. happy new year!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:48 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Just updating here to say my issue persists.

I apparently had two rattles - one in the upper trim piece - which they quieted, but the instrument cluster still has a jingling rattle issue.

It's not the tank pads - that one is a squeaky sound. Mine sounds metallic.

Almost like a loose screw inside the gauge cluster.

Http://tinyurl.com/targarattle
Old 02-05-2017, 12:49 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Spray some rubber conditioner on the top front strut mounts. Mine made a terrible rattle sound and after replacing the tank foam pads without any improvement, we finally figured out it was the strut mounts. They retorqued the top nut, which made the noise disappear for a few weeks. When it came back I sprayed some rubber conditioner on the rubber part of the mount, and now it's been quiet for over a year. BTW, the rattle sounded like it was behind or under the cluster, even though it was coming from the driver's side strut mount.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:45 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

mtony, thanks, I will check that out. Are the strut mounts accessible through the trunk?
Old 02-05-2017, 01:47 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
Spray some rubber conditioner on the top front strut mounts. Mine made a terrible rattle sound and after replacing the tank foam pads without any improvement, we finally figured out it was the strut mounts. They retorqued the top nut, which made the noise disappear for a few weeks. When it came back I sprayed some rubber conditioner on the rubber part of the mount, and now it's been quiet for over a year. BTW, the rattle sounded like it was behind or under the cluster, even though it was coming from the driver's side strut mount.
my car had the same rattle as your car. dealer re torque the strut mount and now is more sporadic I will try using rubber conditioner like you did. Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:14 PM
mtony
Pro

Originally Posted by DerekS
mtony, thanks, I will check that out. Are the strut mounts accessible through the trunk?
Yes. Pull the cover inside the frunk off and you'll see them.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:58 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Well, I pulled the plastic part and everything seems to be torqued down very securely already. none of the nuts were loose, and tapping on the part didn't rattle either.

I'm really not sure that is my issue, the jingling really sounds like it's inside the instrument cluster.

I'm going nuts over this stupid problem.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:49 PM
mtony
Pro

Originally Posted by DerekS
Well, I pulled the plastic part and everything seems to be torqued down very securely already. none of the nuts were loose, and tapping on the part didn't rattle either.

I'm really not sure that is my issue, the jingling really sounds like it's inside the instrument cluster.

I'm going nuts over this stupid problem.
You won't notice anything loose and it won't rattle by touching anything. Nothing to lose by spraying some rubber or vinyl conditioner in the rubber center part of the mount.

Quick Reply: Has anyone figured out the Rattle Behind Gauge Cluster?