Sponsored by:

Paint protection questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 01:36 AM
Maxr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint protection questions

I'm considering doing a front wrap with STEK paint protection film and CQuartz FINEST coating. A full front wrap of STEK DYNOshield is $2495, rocker panels including extended coverage for flare guards are $350 each and the strips behind the rear wheels are $95 each. CQuartz FINEST is $1250 so a total for everything is $4635 plus tax = $5075.33.

The shop is highly reputable and their prices seem to reflect that. They're definitely the most expensive of all the shops I've come across. The other shops out there are using a variety of different films such as xpel ultimate and others. For paint protection coatings I've seen ceramic pro out there and again a variety of others.

What sounds reasonable for a service like this? What should I be looking for in either of these services. What do you all think about this quote. Does it seem reasonable considering the high end shop that works on all the high roller cars in the area or am I paying for their overhead and the service not worth that much. Just seems steep but I want the best for my car.

What products are you seeing good reviews of out there?
Old 12-26-2016, 02:22 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Why are you saving this car to this extent for the next buyer?

At the price quoted you could put the entire car in plastic condom wrap.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:27 AM
Maxr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha I think a plastic condom wrap would be less expensive.

I dont know know if I want to even do the wrap. I know I want the coating for sure. This is a car I'll have for a while and want it shiny and protected. I have two other cars that are black that I want done but definitely not wrapped. They're leases. Just want to make them look good at all times

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Why are you saving this car to this extent for the next buyer?

At the price quoted you could put the entire car in plastic condom wrap.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:56 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just paid $5950 for an entire 99 986 with perfect black paint. I cudda bought 2 just in case the paint got flawed on number 1.
The black 92 968 Cab I sold a year ago was flawless. The SY 95 968 Cab I have now is flawless as well. How much more flawless could they have been? ZERO!
Your process would have made them flawed.
Just curious, does the process prevent dents or dings?
Will it work on women? My wife has smile lines.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:13 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds a litle over priced on the wrap. I had full front, mirrors, sills, rear quarter, behind rear wheel, door edge and handle for 1900 in SF Bay Area.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:13 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid $2500 for a Track EXPEL wrap on my 991.2.
Why you would want to coat a wrap that you will eventually remove, I can't imagine?
My 2013 981B has a full XPEL front wrap and other than a wash and the use of scrub brush for the stubborn oil and rubber marks from the Track, that's all I do and it looks great.
I could maybe see coating if no wrap.
Personally, I think this paint protection etc has gotton out of hand.
Put a clear wrap on it and drive it and forget about it.-Richard
Old 12-26-2016, 09:57 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My .1 GTS Targa was fully wrapped and nano coated between two top-shelf PPF shops in Germany and the States. It involved a lot of custom work on the targa bar and hardback seats. (I'm **** and will be driving the car a lot with my newborn son in the years ahead.)

Total price was $7,500 and I have zero regrets based on the car's MSRP and the fact I'm keeping it forever.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:59 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Do they offer a New Car Protection Package?

I have a $3k Expel/Ceramic Pro combo scheduled that includes full front film, 5 yr coating, cab top, wheels, plastics, glass.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:28 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

To answer some of the questions... Wrap protects, coating shines.

Why wax a car that has a clear coat?
Old 12-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Coating protects also. Just to lesser degree.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:14 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I would do the front bumper and at most the hood and front fenders but at the hi cost of these products you could repaint a panel as cheap if it gets scratched. My local uses expel and he says its the best he has found. Ive never heard of the brand you quote
waxing the clear is good to keep stains and oil from penetrating it. if it does get a stain it cant be removed it will be there forever
Old 12-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I lease, but wrapped my last Porsche, and I am certain my dealer enjoyed getting the car back in that condition. This time around, I asked myself why i was wasting the money. Even if I decide to buy this one off lease, it's far cheaper to have any chips corrected versus wrapping the car.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:32 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
it's far cheaper to have any chips corrected versus wrapping the car.
Have a friend with a DD GTS who's filling his chips in as he goes ... doing a great job and car looks perfect ... have another friend who drove his through the desert one time and the paint on rhe front end is totally trashed. For me PPF is peace of mind.

STEK is likely Suntek

Regarding coating over the top, my installer advised just treating with 303 to keep the plastic flexible and UV protected, no waxes, no coatings. Said that films treated so, have looked best and maintained their flexibility best over long run.

Just one opinion
Old 12-26-2016, 01:35 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RoWa
Have a friend with a DD GTS who's filling his chips in as he goes ... doing a great job and car looks perfect ... have another friend who drove his through the desert one time and the paint on rhe front end is totally trashed. For me PPF is peace of mind. STEK is likely Suntek Regarding coating over the top, my installer advised just treating with 303 to keep the plastic flexible and UV protected, no waxes, no coatings. Said that films treated so, have looked best and maintained their flexibility best over long run. Just one opinion
Your mention of the desert reminds me of a time when I was looking at a RUF R Turbo. The dealer said the paint was original. Did some research and found a YouTube video of the car racing through the desert in a Gumball Rally. You could literally watch the paint peel off from the front bumper to the A pillar.

Took a pass and bought the 993TT instead
Old 12-26-2016, 02:03 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

I've researched films, coatings and sprays for close to a year. I narrowed down my preference to one brand and figured out the top three installers within a 60 mile radius. About a month before I picked up my car, the following happened:

1)Witnessed a customer complain about dirt inside the edges of the wrap (this installer doesn't wrap around edges because he had experiences where they get loose and roll back).
2)At a different installer, someone had to get PDR done on a rear quarter panel. So they had to take the WHOLE rear quarter panel film OFF! So a 300 dollar PDR job ended up costing about 1200 because they needed to put a new clear bra on not just the rear panel, but also the doors and front fender so that they could match (his car is white).
3)At the dealer, I saw that the pre-cut xpel template didn't properly line up with the headlight nozzles
4)At an installer in long island, who does all custom work without a template, uses plastic razors and the shop was absolutely immaculate(filled with italian cars).... took a close look at a GT3RS that he just did and decided that clear bra is not for me. I'm sticking with Dr. Colorchip.
5)A friend of mine with mbquartz finest applied all over the car(cost around 1500 with paint correction), got a scratch on his passenger front door. Normally a little bit of touch up paint and a few passes with some polish and top with wax would make it 95% better....not here..... the ceramic coated needed to be wet sanded off before the repair could happen........

Quick Reply: Paint protection questions