Old 12-25-2016, 10:39 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Franko T
Pain in the *** for just filters? YES!
DIY SKILL = 1 EASY, anyone can do it if you have <1.5 hours to burn

https://youtu.be/pWU7beZdWNY
Thank you, I am sure a a lot of people will find this very useful.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm needing to do it. It looks like a pain in the a--, so I have been putting it off.
Thanks for the video..
Old 12-25-2016, 10:54 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

What a nice gift for the day! I had learned the essence of this from some posts, but this helped fill in the blanks. Thank you!
Old 12-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 997TT and it was easy to change the filters..
Old 12-25-2016, 10:55 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great DIY. Takes out the fear factor for sure. (But it does make me miss my '91 318is. Such an easy car to work on.)
Old 12-26-2016, 03:07 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to be a poor sport since I appreciate the time and effort you took to make and post the video, but I wouldn't call it a '1' on the complexity scale. Why don't we call it a '2', especially given the fact that at 5:32 of your video I can clearly hear in the audio where you snapped off/damaged the connector that holds the wiring harness for the license plate light/reverse sensor (on cars fitted with them) to the inside of the rear bumper.

For info, the rear wiring harness connector plug is also a PIA to disconnect btw which is what I chose to do instead of just letting the bumper hang down with the harness connected like you did. I would love to see a close up video on how to properly remove that connector. I mangled the crap outta mine before it separated.

Last edited by daberlin; 12-26-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:43 AM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

​​​​​​I did not break anything other than one of those caps that covers the taillight screws. Super fragile, but easy fix. The noise you heard was the bumper coming off, and part of it was stuck. OK fine 2, if dealer charges an hour labor to do it, not a big deal, but it's fun doing it yourself... Not like a brake pad job which might be a real pain.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:05 PM
daberlin
Racer

​​​​​​I did not break anything other than one of those caps that covers the taillight screws. Super fragile, but easy fix. The noise you heard was the bumper coming off, and part of it was stuck. OK fine 2, if dealer charges an hour labor to do it, not a big deal, but it's fun doing it yourself... Not like a brake pad job which might be a real pain.
I should have chosen my words more appropriately. Not for me to say whether you did or did not break anything. Sorry.

Just for those folks who remove their rear bumpers, the tail light/reverse sensor wiring harness attaches to the inside of the rear bumper, is fragile, and if you attempt to pull the bumper clear of the car after only removing the screws and tail lights, the harness holder will break. Not the end of the world, but a note of caution as you DIY the rear of your 911.

PS - 911 brake jobs are super easy. A bit dirty, and almost impossible to salvage the brake wear sensors (one each per wheel!), but as always, with proper tools and safety precautions, a very manageable DIY job.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:11 PM
Maxr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pain in the *** for just filters? YES!
DIY SKILL = 1 EASY, anyone can do it if you have <1.5 hours to burn

https://youtu.be/pWU7beZdWNY
nice! I'll be doing mine soon.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
I should have chosen my words more appropriately. Not for me to say whether you did or did not break anything. Sorry.

Just for those folks who remove their rear bumpers, the tail light/reverse sensor wiring harness attaches to the inside of the rear bumper, is fragile, and if you attempt to pull the bumper clear of the car after only removing the screws and tail lights, the harness holder will break. Not the end of the world, but a note of caution as you DIY the rear of your 911.

PS - 911 brake jobs are super easy. A bit dirty, and almost impossible to salvage the brake wear sensors (one each per wheel!), but as always, with proper tools and safety precautions, a very manageable DIY job.
+1 the hardest part of taking the bumper off IMO. Also for parking sensor/camera cars do not forgot the sensor/camera connectors in the "well" of the passenger side taillight area
Old 12-26-2016, 01:42 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
... and almost impossible to salvage the brake wear sensors (one each per wheel!), but as always, with proper tools and safety precautions, a very manageable DIY job.
Thanks for this ... Have just ordered Posi Quiets (to reduce dust) and was unsure whether to order new wear sensors ... is it that they get mangled on removal, do not sit on the new pads well enough, or is it something else on the reinstall ?
TIA
Old 12-26-2016, 03:21 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Really great video ... thanks for taking the time to do it !!!
Old 12-26-2016, 04:14 PM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by RoWa
Thanks for this ... Have just ordered Posi Quiets (to reduce dust) and was unsure whether to order new wear sensors ... is it that they get mangled on removal, do not sit on the new pads well enough, or is it something else on the reinstall ?
TIA
The 'front' face of the wear sensor which comes in contact with the rotor when the pad is low is made of a very brittle ceramic material which breaks away exposing the electrical contact that signals the alert on your dash letting you know it's time to replace pads.

This material is VERY brittle and will most likely fracture when you attempt to remove the sensor from the brake pad even when not worn out. I tend to damage half the four sensors when I do Porsche brake jobs. Porsche service techs don't even bother attempting to salvage the wear sensors when they perform brake jobs. They are automatically replaced regardless so they simply yank them out.

My advice is to buy all four and reuse those you salvage as you discover your own technique to remove them without damage. A pair of needle nose pliers and pulling the sensor straight up gives pretty good results. GL.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:22 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like the optimum technique when removing then rear bumper is to disconnect the license plate light connector once you have the left tail light out.

Quick Reply: How to Change your Air Filter