Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 06:09 PM
S64
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Email sent.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:07 AM
whacky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just installed one side in my 991.2 GTS with Bose.

Doing a preliminary side to side comparison it seems the Bose side definitely louder and perhaps slightly brighter.

Was hoping to get peoples feedback on how they sound after initial install vs. after hours of listening.

Any change after break-in? Is there a break-in?
Old 08-19-2018, 09:46 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
... Oh, and in most cases we're using a 6db/octave HP filter @ 6,000Hz.
Nick
Sounds impressive but isn't it just a single capacitor (3.3 to 14 uF depending on speaker impedance) connected in series?

Those kind of filters are great for speaker imaging because of minimum phase shift but the downside is a much higher chance of blowing out your $600 tweeters because the slow filter rolloff can't attenuate the lower frequency harmonics very much. Against conventional wisdom, a low-powered amplifier will only make matters worse. So be careful about high volumes if you go this route.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:42 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Just dropped my 991.2 base (non-bose) into them today to get the tweeters installed. They are going to see how the rest of the components sound on the car too, so I'm excited to see how it all sounds. I'm sure you will see some updates on here!
Old 08-20-2018, 10:29 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Can one of you describe how to get to the amplifier in the passenger side kick panel to disconnect my subwoofer? Thanks!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by whacky
Just installed one side in my 991.2 GTS with Bose.

Doing a preliminary side to side comparison it seems the Bose side definitely louder and perhaps slightly brighter.

Was hoping to get peoples feedback on how they sound after initial install vs. after hours of listening.

Any change after break-in? Is there a break-in?
There's a bit of a characteristic change after they break in – mostly just a little more sensitivity and resolution in the bottom end of the tweeter's range.

As far as the Bose tweeter being louder and brighter, that's 100% true. The new tweeters are more natural without as much high-frequency break up, so they're going to be less bright and harsh. Brightness is one of those sonic elements that always sounds good at first listen but gets fatiguing and overbearing after prolonged sessions. The volume differential also makes sense. The new tweeters will be attenuated compared to the originals. This actually helps balance out the rest of the components in the system to give you more vocal information and impactful bass without getting into the harshness of the tweeters.

Hope that all makes sense!

Nick

Originally Posted by KM1959
Sounds impressive but isn't it just a single capacitor (3.3 to 14 uF depending on speaker impedance) connected in series?

Those kind of filters are great for speaker imaging because of minimum phase shift but the downside is a much higher chance of blowing out your $600 tweeters because the slow filter rolloff can't attenuate the lower frequency harmonics very much. Against conventional wisdom, a low-powered amplifier will only make matters worse. So be careful about high volumes if you go this route.
That crossover filter sits on top of the factory 6db roll off, so technically we're looking at an overall 12db slope. This is actually the same value as the factory capacitor on the Bose tweeters, we just get a lot more low-frequency information from the new tweeters because they don't roll off naturally until you get down to about 1.5KHz. Shouldn't have any issues with "blowing" them. We've shipped over 200 pairs at this point and haven't warrantied a single driver.

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
Just dropped my 991.2 base (non-bose) into them today to get the tweeters installed. They are going to see how the rest of the components sound on the car too, so I'm excited to see how it all sounds. I'm sure you will see some updates on here!
Excited for this one. We'll definitely keep everyone updated on the progress we make with the development on the base stereo upgrades! Thanks again for working with us!

Originally Posted by mtony
Can one of you describe how to get to the amplifier in the passenger side kick panel to disconnect my subwoofer? Thanks!
It's been a little while since I've done this on a 991(by the way, that amp only exists on the 991.1 and not 991.2) but from what I recall, the easiest access is found by removing the passenger kick panel that covers the fuse panel. You start by grabbing the panel at the very back closest to the firewall and giving it a strong tug towards the inside of the car in the direction of the center console. There are two dual-lock(velcro) tabs holding it in place. Once that's loose, pull the whole panel straight towards you in the direction of the back of the car. There are a few clips that will release and you should be able to carefully remove it from there. The Bose subwoofer amp is directly above the fuse panel on a clipped-on mount system. There's only one wiring harness plugged in that you can just disconnect. I've also heard of a few owners pulling the fuse for that amp, but I haven't done the research to know which fuse it is. Maybe someone else can chime in on that if they know.

Let me know if that helps, and feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Nick
Old 08-20-2018, 07:03 PM
mtony
Pro

Thanks Nick!
Old 08-20-2018, 10:44 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
I've also heard of a few owners pulling the fuse for that amp, but I haven't done the research to know which fuse it is. Maybe someone else can chime in on that if they know.

Nick
Yup, I just pulled the fuse. SUPER easy.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ual/6/243/page

Row B fuse number 7 on the passenger side fuse panel.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 AM
mtony
Pro

Originally Posted by Joec500

Perfect! Thanks!
Old 08-22-2018, 03:05 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Joec500

Thanks Joe! Awesome information!
Old 08-23-2018, 02:08 AM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

How do they sound. How long do they need the car. I might drive down and leave it for the day.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:56 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lockie
How do they sound. How long do they need the car. I might drive down and leave it for the day.
i will be picking the car up this weekend, I elected to leave it there for the work week as I don’t need it until Saturday. They are also testing some other components for the car which I may purchase at a later date.

Regarding how long they need the car for, I’m sure they can install the tweeters in just a day, but reach out to Nick and confirm 😄
Old 08-23-2018, 05:26 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

i will be picking the car up this weekend, I elected to leave it there for the work week as I don’t need it until Saturday. They are also testing some other components for the car which I may purchase at a later date.

Regarding how long they need the car for, I’m sure they can install the tweeters in just a day, but reach out to Nick and confirm 😄
The Base Stereo car has definitely presented one obstacle that's going to take some work to overcome. Nothing detrimental, just some new proprietary harnessing that wasn't expected. Thanks Porsche!

Originally Posted by lockie
Like stated above, tweeters are a real simple install. Maybe an hour tops. Not a difficult DIY is you just wanted a set shipped up to you. Shoot me an email if you're interested! (nick.akin@musicarnw.com)
Old 08-26-2018, 02:06 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

I've had a bit of time to listen to the audio with the tweeters installed. They've literally made the base sound system tolerable to listen to, at all speeds. Prior to this upgrade, I really didn't use the audio much as I didn't like how the system sounded, especially at freeway speeds or with the sunroof open.

It's hard to describe how much of a difference these tweeters make, but it's well worth the investment if you enjoy listening to music in your car. Go for it!
Old 08-26-2018, 10:01 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Nick. I’ve added and love your tweeters but I’m still wanting to disconnect the front center channel speaker on my 991.1, Bose. Did you ever post a video for doing that, like the tweeter install? Could you or someone else please do so or point me to where I can find it. Thanks very much.

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade