Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:56 PM
commok
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed mine today - took less than an hour start to finish, mainly due to that great install video, and Chad996Pgh's Craftsman tool recommendation. Very professional product - loved the quality, and the way it was packaged, including the trim tool and the Allen wrench. Thanks to Nick, all the advice on this thread!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:37 AM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
Nick. Did I miss the 991 center speaker delete video? If not please do it next, and soon. Thanks!
I looked in the workshop manual for directions on removing the center loudspeaker trim panel.

It appears you simply unclip the panel from the dashboard using the pry tool and lift it up until the electric plug connection for the center loudspeaker is accessible. There will also be an plug for the sport chrono (if optioned) and a plug for the sun sensor.

According to the manual, there is no clip that needs to be removed from underneath like that for the tweeter.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:11 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

A big thanks to everyone that's been waiting patiently for this current group buy to fill up. Good news, we're only one order away at this point. If anyone out there was wanting to get in on this batch, email me ASAP so you don't miss out!
Old 08-27-2017, 02:49 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts

Nick, Speakers sound great and pretty easy install. Just wondering if you have anything in the works for the door speakers?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by asia
I looked in the workshop manual for directions on removing the center loudspeaker trim panel.

It appears you simply unclip the panel from the dashboard using the pry tool and lift it up until the electric plug connection for the center loudspeaker is accessible. There will also be an plug for the sport chrono (if optioned) and a plug for the sun sensor.

According to the manual, there is no clip that needs to be removed from underneath like that for the tweeter.
Thanks!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Thanks!
Sure.

Something else to check also:

Bose and Burmester systems actually have four tweeters, two are hidden in the grills behind the seats. Nick suggests the option of fading the system forward. IMO you gain quality/clarity but loose some of the "surround" effect.

Bose, the tweeters are labeled 25Watt on the sides of the car:

Old 09-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 422 Posts

I have the Burmester system in my TTS. Based on this thread I haven't upgraded my tweeters. BUT, yesterday I disconnected and removed the center speaker. While I'm no audiophile I could tell a significant improvement in the sound. It seemed richer, with better bass and I could hear the rear speakers for the first time, it gave me a real surround sound effect. I didn't change any settings other than volume. I highly recommend deleting this speaker from your system whether Bose or Burmester!
Old 09-17-2017, 08:45 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I have the Burmester system in my TTS. Based on this thread I haven't upgraded my tweeters. BUT, yesterday I disconnected and removed the center speaker. While I'm no audiophile I could tell a significant improvement in the sound. It seemed richer, with better bass and I could hear the rear speakers for the first time, it gave me a real surround sound effect. I didn't change any settings other than volume. I highly recommend deleting this speaker from your system whether Bose or Burmester!
I'd really like to disconnect it but am very reluctant to do so without a video to follow. Installing Nick's tweeters was easy with his great video. He's been promising a center channel delete video but has apparently forgotten or gotten too busy Does anyone know of a video showing how to disconnect the center dash speaker with sport chrono?
Old 09-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
I'd really like to disconnect it but am very reluctant to do so without a video to follow. Installing Nick's tweeters was easy with his great video. He's been promising a center channel delete video but has apparently forgotten or gotten too busy Does anyone know of a video showing how to disconnect the center dash speaker with sport chrono?
No video, but here are how to instructions on removing the panel:

https://www.macarbon.com/install_gui...stallation.pdf

and a rennlister did it too a while ago:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9203...eye-cover.html
Old 09-17-2017, 11:28 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 422 Posts

I pried the unit up with two trim tools, much like in the macarbon video. I didn't use any tape and didn't disconnect the panel. There is enough slack in the chrono and light sensor wiring harnesses to lift up the panel and reach the speaker screws. Once the three speaker screws were out, lift the speaker and disconnect the wires. Wallah, your done. In my case I put a small piece of foam over the speaker wire connector to make sure it couldn't rattle in the dash. Took me all of 30 minutes.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:37 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have an update for everyone in the current Round 4 batch!

Looks like we've received about half of the grilles needed and the rest are inbound from Germany. Tweeters arrive from Denmark this week, and I've dedicated my entire weekend to building all 25 sets. That means anyone who doesn't have grilles on their order should ship next week, along with half of the orders with grilles. If Germany is on time, the remaining will ship the following week!!!

If anyone has questions feel free to ask me here or in email. I'll be sending out individual emails after the weekend to update order status and verify shipping info.

Thanks everyone!

-Nick
Old 09-25-2017, 01:44 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good news everyone!

Tweeters arrived from Denmark over the weekend as well as 99% of the remaining grilles from Porsche in Germany. I spent the majority of the weekend building all of your kits so everyone in the current round should be seeing an email in the next day or two confirming shipping info and final balance invoices so these can all ship this week!

Thanks again!

-Nick
Old 09-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Looks like these are still selling strong!

Update on my tweeters..I sat in a friend's 991.1 with BOSE, I just couldn't believe how much of an improvement these make until you go back to the stock stuff. It's night and day. Now I just need to save up for the full tilt amp replacement solution
Old 10-05-2017, 02:00 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Update: I've shipped about half or more of the sets in the current batch. We found out that there was a bad batch of hardware that had about 1/10 threaded clips that would taper at the end, making it impossible to sink the hardware all the way down. New hardware arrives today and the remaining kits should leave he building tomorrow.

I sent an email to everyone last week confirming shipping information. If you haven't sent me a message back, I haven't shipped out your package. Please send me a note to confirm, otherwise I will ship to the address on file after the weekend.

Thanks everyone!

Nick
Old 10-05-2017, 05:49 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick,

Email sent for round 5 w/ Bordeaux Red leather grills.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade