Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JR956678
So I had to do something last night that I planned for (fortunately) but never expected to happen as soon as it has. Which is - to remove the Musicar tweeters so I could trade the car in for a different 991.2 and put the Musicar tweeters in the NEW 991.2 - which will happen later on today.

What I did that was genuinely helpful was that when I installed the Musicar tweeters, I replaced the "barbed" metal clip on the Burmester grills with a "non-barbed" clip from the original Bose tweeters. (It's the "barbed" clip that requires you to remove the vent grills and displace the vent ductwork in order to get that clip to release.) The other thing I did was to lightly coat ALL the metal clips with a heavy silicone grease to make them easier to install and also easier to remove should that day come. Because I did this it became a really easy task to remove the Burmester grills so I could put the old tweeters back in. I'll have to fight the good fight with the new 991.2 but I've done that before and am not fazed by it.

Aside from the relatively easy task of removing the Burmester grills I was also struck by how much harder it is to get these barbed clips properly latched into the dash. I would strongly recommend NOT using the barbed clips - remove them from the Burmester grills and "borrow" two of the non-barbed clips from the old Bose tweeter grills - if for no other reason than to make installing the new grills so much easier.

The other thing that has struck me is how much better the Musicar tweeters are than the stock Bose tweeters. Though this was immediately noticeable when I first installed them it was if anything even more noticeable when going back to the Bose tweeters. And perhaps at the top of my list of "things to do with the new car" will be the installation of the Musicar tweeters on the new one (which also has the Bose system).
Great advice, but I figured my installation would be one-way. If I had thought of this in advance, I would have done it your way. However, at this point, there is no guarantee I will get a compatible car, so the new owner of mine will simply just benefit from the improved sound. If I say nothing about the upgrade, they will probably think I upgraded to Burmester tweeters!
Old 07-18-2017, 09:13 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Hey everyone, just wanted to update those of you patiently waiting for your tweeters from Round Three to ship. Looks like were still waiting on some grilles from Porsche, but all of the other parts have arrived. We have a few sets built that will just need to be packed up, so a few of you in the single-digits will get an email real soon.

Also, for those still waiting on a center channel delete video, I apologize for the delay and I appreciate your patience... I have three videos to compile and edit right now so I should hopefully have that one put together soon. Just have a lot going on right now and it's always a struggle to find the time for all of it. I'll have another update here within the week!

Nick
Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Nick, what about my kit for the GT4? Is that ready to ship as well since no grills are required?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick. Loving my tweets. Early adopter and disconnected the CC. What about the optimum settings you promised six months ago? I'm sure all of us (non-audiophiles) would appreciate it.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:23 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Reborn996
Hi Nick, what about my kit for the GT4? Is that ready to ship as well since no grills are required?
We're still in the middle of production on the tweeters, so we have a bit more to go before we get enough to start shipping out of order. If we don't see the remaining grilles by early next week then it's likely that your set would ship around that time. If they do arrive, it would be the following week at the very latest.

Originally Posted by stevewilm
Nick. Loving my tweets. Early adopter and disconnected the CC. What about the optimum settings you promised six months ago? I'm sure all of us (non-audiophiles) would appreciate it.
I'll try to make good on that. The problem has been that every car we have locally with Bose now has upgrades past just the tweeters so it's impossible to make an accurate assessment. That said, it's only a two-band EQ(Bass & Treble) so there's not much in the way of settings that can be changed. We obviously want surround off, and the jury is out on "linear" mode. Most of this is going to be preferential in the long run. I can share the settings that I like but it may not be right for others.

Maybe someone will come by soon to get the upgrade and I can spend a little extra time with the car. I'll let you all know.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:56 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Nick,

Loving the tweeters. Looking forward to getting that center channel delete video and, when you can, your recommendations on settings.

Thanks!!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:05 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Round III Update: All parts have arrived, kits are curing right now and will be packed up to ship the middle of the week! Those with Burmester and 981 kits will ship end of the week. Everyone in the queue should be getting an email soon to verify shipping info and handle any balance payments. Excited to get these out to you guys!

Thanks again everyone!

Couple photos I snapped this morning...

Old 07-25-2017, 03:22 AM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just installed my upgraded speakers in my 2013.

Thoughts:

The sound quality is immediately improved, and makes you realize how lacking the quality of the BOSE equipment is. It now makes me want to start replacing other speakers, because it feels very flat in other places. No real fault of the new speakers for being too good.

Installation:

In my opinion, was a lot bigger pain in the *** than the video made it out to be. If I had to do it again, i'd just pay a shop to do this install. The clips on the driver side air vent are very fragile, and two ended up breaking despite my best efforts to be gentle during the initial removal. I taped it back together until I decide if I want to buy a new air vent.

The connector attaching the speaker wire to the BOSE tweeter is a HUGE pain to remove, you will quite literally think you're going to break the connector before it finally comes loose. It didn't clip in and out as easy the demo in the video. Perhaps the car in the video was a newer model year, as the connector was white and mine was black.

Overall worth giving it a shot, Nick was organized and professional with his correspondence.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:16 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 275 Posts

Mine arrived too but I’m out of town. Looking forward to the install by the shop Nick recommended.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:17 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Please put me down for a pair. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:08 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Please put me down for a pair. Thank you.
Happy to help. If you could, shoot me a quick email with some info on your car(factory audio system and dash color) and a shipping address so I can get you the details on how to reserve a set.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2017, 04:51 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Shipped another 14 sets out yesterday! Only orders that haven't shipped are the Burmester and 981 applications – those should go out tomorrow or Friday. Everyone who has shipped should have tracking info in their email. If you don't, please send me an email so I can get you that.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I really enjoyed this on a 1500 mile trip I recently took. Thanks so much.

It would be nice to have a subwoofer fix.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Chad996Pgh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Easy Connector Removal

For those of you having issues removing the connectors (or haven't done this yet), I highly recommend buying the proper tool below to remove the connector as it'll make this mod much easier!

The Craftsman picks came in a set of two; the right angle shown, and a straight pick (I've used both of these tools for numerous other things on the car and around the house)...

I'm showing a 991 Bose tweeter I had from another mod and Porsche/Bose connector.. so this is the same process for any version you guys may have...

It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!

1) Insert the pick as show between the tweeter housing and top of the connector (just about 1/8 of an inch)...
2) Leverage out the connector (it may take two times to get it levered out)
3) Connector removed! Note the indentation that the pick is next to, the last pic shows the pick in the indentation and how perfectly it fits!

I believe this is the proper way to remove the connector and hope it helps everyone! Cheers!
Attached Images      
Old 07-29-2017, 12:31 PM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone earlier asked this question:

Will deleting the center speaker shut the hands free phone off? Or, will my phone still go through the sound system with the center speaker turned off?

I broke one of the plastic connectors and ended up using crimp connectors on the passenger side. I don't know if crossing the wiring matters (a 50% chance of getting it right).

A video of disconnecting the wiring clips would be helpful in the installation video.

It's a good idea to run the bolts through the nuts before installing the nuts (one of the nuts had bad threads).

One of the bolts broke through the thin plastic counter sink. A better design would be a tapered head bolt to give more strength to the plastic housing.

I would not remove the center speaker unless I know for sure that my phone will still play through the system (I have the Bose on a 991.2).

Turn off the surround system and it is an improvement, but now the bass is not as good-the Bose tweeters made the bass sound good.

Those Burmester covers were quite a challenge, but they do go in place with enough effort.

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade