Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Also I would love to have suggested BLOWSE EQ setting with the new tweeter. I mean BOSE
Old 12-27-2016, 07:47 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Finally got some time to compile the video over the holiday weekend. ... Here's the video:
WOW!!!! Excellent Instructional Video!!!!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:51 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, Excellent video! If only I had waited on the Burmester tweeters a few weeks longer :-)

Only thing I'd add to the DIY: to ease disconnecting the Bose speaker, take a small flathead screwdriver and press the tip into the small hole in the center of the electrical connector as you pull the connector apart.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:02 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Much want. I have the Burmester in my 991 and the Bose in my 981 Spyder. Will this work for the 981 Spyder? And will there be a noticeable difference in the 991?
Old 12-30-2016, 04:46 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Personally, I like the sound system better with the center channel unplugged. The Bose surround does not have good center channel steering logic so we get better stereo separation without it. I recommend that everyone take a microfiber towel and a book and place them over the center channel grille to listen to the difference, then decide for themselves. That said, I've listened to it both ways and the improvement is just as impactful in either scenario.[/IMG]
Nick, what is the best way to disconnect the center speaker? At the speaker itself, or at the amp? If at the center speaker, how do you remove that trim to get to the wire connector? If at the amp, where is the amp located, and which wire pair is for the center speaker? Thanks
Old 12-30-2016, 05:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
Nick, what is the best way to disconnect the center speaker? At the speaker itself, or at the amp? If at the center speaker, how do you remove that trim to get to the wire connector? If at the amp, where is the amp located, and which wire pair is for the center speaker? Thanks
Flickroll, this may help you:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9203...eye-cover.html
Old 12-30-2016, 05:46 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

LexVan, thanks!!
Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
That's exactly how I would do it, at the speaker itself. Disconnecting at the amp would require cutting the wires — no bueno.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:44 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Late to the party. That will teach me to favor the turbo forum over this one! I sent an email. Is it too late to get in?

Last edited by Need4S; 12-31-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:43 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

That's exactly how I would do it, at the speaker itself. Disconnecting at the amp would require cutting the wires — no bueno.
Nick, if one wanted to replace the center speaker, do you have any suggestions for a good replacement?
Old 12-31-2016, 02:54 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nick, if one wanted to replace the center speaker, do you have any suggestions for a good replacement?
Nope...

The problem with the center channel is not the quality of the speaker, its the steering of the stereo signal. Music, 99.99% of the time, is mastered in 2-Channel stereo and not 5.1 or 7.1 surround. That means that anything with a center channel will have to take that original 2-Channel information and mix it into the left-center-right channels.

In most cases they just us a mixed-mono signal from the left and right sides, which is horrible because it doesn't accurately place the right information in the center. Of course, this is what Bose does. Situations where a center channel might be useful is in a system with a true "up-mixer" like Logic 7 or Dolby Pro Logic. These technologies actually break down the stereo information and mix the correct signals to the left-center-right and even use rear speakers as "effects" channels that make the cabin feel larger. It's not a true audiophile experience but it's enjoyable.

So that's probably a longer answer than you needed, but the point is that I wouldn't waste time replacing the center channel in the 991. without integrating a true up-mixer.

Last edited by 12v Nick; 12-31-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:29 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope...

The problem with the center channel is not the quality of the speaker, its the steering of the stereo signal. Music, 99.99% of the time, is mastered in 2-Channel stereo and not 5.1 or 7.1 surround. That means that anything with a center channel will have to take that original 2-Channel information and mix it into the left-center-right channels.

In most cases they just us a mixed-mono signal from the left and right sides, which is horrible because it doesn't accurately place the right information in the center. Of course, this is what Bose does. Situations where a center channel might be useful is in a system with a true "up-mixer" like Logic 7 or Dolby Pro Logic. These technologies actually break down the stereo information and mix the correct signals to the left-center-right and even use rear speakers as "effects" channel that make the cabin feel larger. It's noa . true audiophile experience but it's enjoyable.

So that's probably a longer answer than you needed, but the point is that I wouldn't waste time replacing the center channel in the 991. without integrating a true up-mixer.
Wise words! Nick suggested to me that I cover the center channel with a microfiber cloth and a book and set it on top of the speaker to see if I'd like it better with the center channel out... and I did. That speaker only generates high frequency information (guessing it starts somewhere between 2-4 kHz), and it does blur the stereo image. When I get my tweeter kit, I will most likely disconnect the center speaker.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:03 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jsonorous
Wise words! Nick suggested to me that I cover the center channel with a microfiber cloth and a book and set it on top of the speaker to see if I'd like it better with the center channel out... and I did. That speaker only generates high frequency information (guessing it starts somewhere between 2-4 kHz), and it does blur the stereo image. When I get my tweeter kit, I will most likely disconnect the center speaker.
Ditto for me. Today in my Macan I tried prying up the center dash piece at the point closest to the windscreen using my fingernails only and it started pulling up pretty easily. I think pulling it off and disconnecting the speaker wire will be a piece of cake.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:46 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jsonorous
Glad it's not just me.

Ditto for me. Today in my Macan I tried prying up the center dash piece at the point closest to the windscreen using my fingernails only and it started pulling up pretty easily. I think pulling it off and disconnecting the speaker wire will be a piece of cake.
You'll actually get a really high quality composite tool for removing the grilles that should work well for that center channel(it's the one in the install video). The center clips are a bit tight, but overall it's an easy job. You will need a T20 or T25 on a right angle to remove the screws and gain access to the speaker wiring harness.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Hey Nick, I know you are overwhelmed with orders, but any idea of the eta of the first batch of kits? Don't mean to imply any pressure whatsoever, just the curious side of me asking the question. I've lived with the stock speakers for quite a while so a few more weeks won't hurt.

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade