Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade - Page 8 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page >

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Notices
991
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

 
Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 PM
  #106  
Joec500
User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 736
Default

Also I would love to have suggested BLOWSE EQ setting with the new tweeter. I mean BOSE
Joec500 is offline  
Old 12-27-2016, 07:47 PM
  #107  
mikeearly
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mikeearly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chester VA
Posts: 438
Default

Originally Posted by 12v Nick View Post
Finally got some time to compile the video over the holiday weekend. ... Here's the video:
WOW!!!! Excellent Instructional Video!!!!
mikeearly is offline  
Old 12-27-2016, 08:51 PM
  #108  
daberlin
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
daberlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 485
Default

Wow, Excellent video! If only I had waited on the Burmester tweeters a few weeks longer :-)

Only thing I'd add to the DIY: to ease disconnecting the Bose speaker, take a small flathead screwdriver and press the tip into the small hole in the center of the electrical connector as you pull the connector apart.
daberlin is offline  
Old 12-29-2016, 12:02 AM
  #109  
JAM2
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
JAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Posts: 1,020
Default

Much want. I have the Burmester in my 991 and the Bose in my 981 Spyder. Will this work for the 981 Spyder? And will there be a noticeable difference in the 991?
JAM2 is offline  
Old 12-30-2016, 04:46 PM
  #110  
flickroll
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
flickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,052
Default

Originally Posted by 12v Nick View Post
Personally, I like the sound system better with the center channel unplugged. The Bose surround does not have good center channel steering logic so we get better stereo separation without it. I recommend that everyone take a microfiber towel and a book and place them over the center channel grille to listen to the difference, then decide for themselves. That said, I've listened to it both ways and the improvement is just as impactful in either scenario.[/IMG]
Nick, what is the best way to disconnect the center speaker? At the speaker itself, or at the amp? If at the center speaker, how do you remove that trim to get to the wire connector? If at the amp, where is the amp located, and which wire pair is for the center speaker? Thanks
flickroll is offline  
Old 12-30-2016, 05:02 PM
  #111  
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 19,315
Default

Originally Posted by flickroll View Post
Nick, what is the best way to disconnect the center speaker? At the speaker itself, or at the amp? If at the center speaker, how do you remove that trim to get to the wire connector? If at the amp, where is the amp located, and which wire pair is for the center speaker? Thanks
Flickroll, this may help you:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9203...eye-cover.html
LexVan is online now  
Old 12-30-2016, 05:46 PM
  #112  
flickroll
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
flickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,052
Default

LexVan, thanks!!
flickroll is offline  
Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 PM
  #113  
12v Nick
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
12v Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by flickroll View Post
Nick, what is the best way to disconnect the center speaker? At the speaker itself, or at the amp? If at the center speaker, how do you remove that trim to get to the wire connector? If at the amp, where is the amp located, and which wire pair is for the center speaker? Thanks
Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
That's exactly how I would do it, at the speaker itself. Disconnecting at the amp would require cutting the wires — no bueno.
__________________
Director of Porsche Product Development - Musicar Northwest

"I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate" - Elbert Hubbard
12v Nick is offline  
Old 12-31-2016, 03:44 AM
  #114  
Need4S
User
 
Need4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 967
Default

Late to the party. That will teach me to favor the turbo forum over this one! I sent an email. Is it too late to get in?

Last edited by Need4S; 12-31-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Need4S is offline  
Old 12-31-2016, 02:43 PM
  #115  
flickroll
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
flickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,052
Default

Originally Posted by 12v Nick View Post
That's exactly how I would do it, at the speaker itself. Disconnecting at the amp would require cutting the wires — no bueno.
Nick, if one wanted to replace the center speaker, do you have any suggestions for a good replacement?
flickroll is offline  
Old 12-31-2016, 02:54 PM
  #116  
12v Nick
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
12v Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by flickroll View Post
Nick, if one wanted to replace the center speaker, do you have any suggestions for a good replacement?
Nope...

The problem with the center channel is not the quality of the speaker, its the steering of the stereo signal. Music, 99.99% of the time, is mastered in 2-Channel stereo and not 5.1 or 7.1 surround. That means that anything with a center channel will have to take that original 2-Channel information and mix it into the left-center-right channels.

In most cases they just us a mixed-mono signal from the left and right sides, which is horrible because it doesn't accurately place the right information in the center. Of course, this is what Bose does. Situations where a center channel might be useful is in a system with a true "up-mixer" like Logic 7 or Dolby Pro Logic. These technologies actually break down the stereo information and mix the correct signals to the left-center-right and even use rear speakers as "effects" channels that make the cabin feel larger. It's not a true audiophile experience but it's enjoyable.

So that's probably a longer answer than you needed, but the point is that I wouldn't waste time replacing the center channel in the 991. without integrating a true up-mixer.
__________________
Director of Porsche Product Development - Musicar Northwest

"I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate" - Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by 12v Nick; 12-31-2016 at 08:48 PM.
12v Nick is offline  
Old 12-31-2016, 03:29 PM
  #117  
Jsonorous
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jsonorous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 136
Default

Originally Posted by 12v Nick View Post
Nope...

The problem with the center channel is not the quality of the speaker, its the steering of the stereo signal. Music, 99.99% of the time, is mastered in 2-Channel stereo and not 5.1 or 7.1 surround. That means that anything with a center channel will have to take that original 2-Channel information and mix it into the left-center-right channels.

In most cases they just us a mixed-mono signal from the left and right sides, which is horrible because it doesn't accurately place the right information in the center. Of course, this is what Bose does. Situations where a center channel might be useful is in a system with a true "up-mixer" like Logic 7 or Dolby Pro Logic. These technologies actually break down the stereo information and mix the correct signals to the left-center-right and even use rear speakers as "effects" channel that make the cabin feel larger. It's noa . true audiophile experience but it's enjoyable.

So that's probably a longer answer than you needed, but the point is that I wouldn't waste time replacing the center channel in the 991. without integrating a true up-mixer.
Wise words! Nick suggested to me that I cover the center channel with a microfiber cloth and a book and set it on top of the speaker to see if I'd like it better with the center channel out... and I did. That speaker only generates high frequency information (guessing it starts somewhere between 2-4 kHz), and it does blur the stereo image. When I get my tweeter kit, I will most likely disconnect the center speaker.
Jsonorous is offline  
Old 12-31-2016, 07:03 PM
  #118  
flickroll
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
flickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,052
Default

Originally Posted by Jsonorous View Post
Wise words! Nick suggested to me that I cover the center channel with a microfiber cloth and a book and set it on top of the speaker to see if I'd like it better with the center channel out... and I did. That speaker only generates high frequency information (guessing it starts somewhere between 2-4 kHz), and it does blur the stereo image. When I get my tweeter kit, I will most likely disconnect the center speaker.
Ditto for me. Today in my Macan I tried prying up the center dash piece at the point closest to the windscreen using my fingernails only and it started pulling up pretty easily. I think pulling it off and disconnecting the speaker wire will be a piece of cake.
flickroll is offline  
Old 12-31-2016, 08:46 PM
  #119  
12v Nick
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
12v Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by Jsonorous View Post
Wise words! Nick suggested to me that I cover the center channel with a microfiber cloth and a book and set it on top of the speaker to see if I'd like it better with the center channel out... and I did. That speaker only generates high frequency information (guessing it starts somewhere between 2-4 kHz), and it does blur the stereo image. When I get my tweeter kit, I will most likely disconnect the center speaker.
Glad it's not just me.

Originally Posted by flickroll View Post
Ditto for me. Today in my Macan I tried prying up the center dash piece at the point closest to the windscreen using my fingernails only and it started pulling up pretty easily. I think pulling it off and disconnecting the speaker wire will be a piece of cake.
You'll actually get a really high quality composite tool for removing the grilles that should work well for that center channel(it's the one in the install video). The center clips are a bit tight, but overall it's an easy job. You will need a T20 or T25 on a right angle to remove the screws and gain access to the speaker wiring harness.
__________________
Director of Porsche Product Development - Musicar Northwest

"I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate" - Elbert Hubbard
12v Nick is offline  
Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 PM
  #120  
flickroll
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
flickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,052
Default

Hey Nick, I know you are overwhelmed with orders, but any idea of the eta of the first batch of kits? Don't mean to imply any pressure whatsoever, just the curious side of me asking the question. I've lived with the stock speakers for quite a while so a few more weeks won't hurt.
flickroll is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: