Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 04:39 PM
xford
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
Nick. I’ve added and love your tweeters but I’m still wanting to disconnect the front center channel speaker on my 991.1, Bose. Did you ever post a video for doing that, like the tweeter install? Could you or someone else please do so or point me to where I can find it. Thanks very much.
I disconnected mine when I added a carbon fiber cover on the sport chrono clock - not too tough as long as you have plastic trim tools.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:53 PM
whacky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do people recommend disconnecting the center channel on the 991.2 Bose system?

What do people feel the audible advantage is in doing so?
Old 08-27-2018, 04:55 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by whacky

99.9% Music is produced in 2-Channel stereo(Left + Right), so anything playing on the center channel is a fabrication of the system you're playing that music on. This is when upmixing and processing can take over to improve the experience. Things like Logic 7, Dolby Pro Logic II, and DTS are all algorithms that dictate what musical information is directed towards the center. Bose has none of those technologies, so it simply uses a mixed-mono signal that sums the left and right together to attempt a center image. In my opinion they do a poor job and it actually harms the soundstage more than it helps.

All that said, everyone's experience with music is subjective. My best recommendation has always been to throw a microfiber and a book over the center channel to audition the sound. At that point you can evaluate the difference and decide for yourself if the juice is worth the squeeze!

Nick
Old 08-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

I disconnected the center speaker and pulled the fuse on the factory sub. I get a noticeable more focused image. It's not super night and day for me, but it was noticeable and I am happy with the results. Also it costs NOTHING and easily reversible.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:32 PM
whacky
Advanced

Where exactly is the dedicated subwoofer in the 991.2 Bose system even located?
Old 08-28-2018, 06:13 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Where exactly is the dedicated subwoofer in the 991.2 Bose system even located?
It's tucked waaay up in the dash on the driver's side. Basically directly above your clutch pedal(or where it would be with PDK). Very dumb location that's nearly impossible to work with. Good thing it sounds terrible and we don't have to rely on it for anything.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:07 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Edited post. Found all my answers from previous 40 pages of posts. Count me in next group buy!

Last edited by drdonger; 08-29-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:20 AM
ECM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has Burmester but sounds a bit subpar to me. Is it possible to replace the amplifier with the Mosconi amp and use the built in DSP to tailor the sound of the Burmester speaker set? Basically, reprogram the radio for analog two channel output to the amp, then use the DSP in the amp to shape the sound of the front six door speakers. All others disconnected, not used.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:01 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ECM
My car has Burmester but sounds a bit subpar to me. Is it possible to replace the amplifier with the Mosconi amp and use the built in DSP to tailor the sound of the Burmester speaker set? Basically, reprogram the radio for analog two channel output to the amp, then use the DSP in the amp to shape the sound of the front six door speakers. All others disconnected, not used.
There's a potential for that to be done, I would still replace the tweeters though.

Is this a 991.1 or 991.2?

Old 08-31-2018, 05:23 PM
ECM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It’s a 2013 991.1.

I’m not too bothered by the tweeters as much as I am by the mid range. I mentioned it before that I find it a bit too much megaphone, for lack of a better term.

If if I could replace the amp with one that has DSP, I believe that would be a good starting point.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:04 AM
whacky
Advanced

So asking for a little clarification on the 991.2 Bose system. Stupid question time.

There is a separate subwoofer in the Bose 991.2 system correct? Located under the front drivers side dash?
After reading this thread, I thought I would try to disconnect the subwoofer at the fuse to do a comparison in the sound.

Well, I opened my 991.2 fuse box, and there is no fuse in the B7 section.
As listed on the Porsche manual, that is the location for the Burmester Subwoofer fuse.

Is there a way to disconnect the subwoofer for the Bose system? Is that even necessary?
Any thoughts?
Old 09-01-2018, 06:27 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Just added the tweeters from nick at musiccarnw to my base stereo in my 2017 GTS and night and day transformation. couldn't be happier!
Old 09-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Big997Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Is this a 991.1 or 991.2?
Nick, are the Bose tweeters the same in the 991.2 vs the 991.1? Thinking of doing the tweeter upgrade.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Big997Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big997Fan
Nick, are the Bose tweeters the same in the 991.2 vs the 991.1? Thinking of doing the tweeter upgrade.

Thanks.
Never mind. I just saw this upthread.

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Short answer is yes.

Long answer is that it actually seems to make the most notable improvement in the 991.2 Bose platform. When the .1/.2 switch happened, the Bose amplifier got a bit more powerful and gave the tweeters their own dedicated pair of channels(just like Burmester).

Unfortunately, all that seemed to do was emphasize the shortcomings in the low-quality factory tweeter – so in my opinion the 991.1 Bose system sounds better out of the gate. The plus side to this is that when we replace the tweeter with the Dynaudio version, we actually get a bit more performance in the 991.2 because of the extra power.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:51 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ECM
It’s a 2013 991.1.

I’m not too bothered by the tweeters as much as I am by the mid range. I mentioned it before that I find it a bit too much megaphone, for lack of a better term.

If if I could replace the amp with one that has DSP, I believe that would be a good starting point.
I think I've got a good idea of the sound that you're describing. It's also referred to as "boxiness" or "honkiness" in some audiophile circles. Basically translates to a peak in the response around 2Khz, which is definitely in the midrange speaker. A DSP Amplifier would rectify that issue, but unfortunately the fiber-optics on the 991.1 car present an issue when it comes to amplifier replacement. There are no manufacturers making a reliable amp replacement module.

So asking for a little clarification on the 991.2 Bose system. Stupid question time.

There is a separate subwoofer in the Bose 991.2 system correct? Located under the front drivers side dash?
After reading this thread, I thought I would try to disconnect the subwoofer at the fuse to do a comparison in the sound.

Well, I opened my 991.2 fuse box, and there is no fuse in the B7 section.
As listed on the Porsche manual, that is the location for the Burmester Subwoofer fuse.

Is there a way to disconnect the subwoofer for the Bose system? Is that even necessary?
Any thoughts?
Not a stupid question. The information on this is out there, but who knows in which of the 600 posts....

The 991.1 and 991.2 both have a subwoofer in the same location. The difference between the two is that they decided to integrate the subwoofers amplifier into the main amplifier in the 991.2 platform. Before that it was a separate cigarette pack sized amplifier that had it's own power circuit and fuse. The only way to "delete" the subwoofer in the 991.2 is to disconnect it at the subwoofer – it can be done, but it's a bit of a contortionist's act. Here's a photo looking up from the driver's floorboard:

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Just added the tweeters from nick at musiccarnw to my base stereo in my 2017 GTS and night and day transformation. couldn't be happier!
Thanks again for the order! Glad you're thrilled with the upgrade!

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade