Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 01:41 PM
Jasonpdx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Nick and Rennlist Members

I am that local member and I have to say Nick and the crew at Musicar are absolutely the best to work with, I was scrolling for my first mod, and was delighted to find this thread. Since taking possession of my new to me 991.1S last weekend, I had the oppurtunity to take on a smaller road trip through the Gorge in Oregon, wonderful drive and some amazing roads out that way! I noticed the stereo highs were rather distorted, already thinking I was going to have to do a full package upgrade with Musicar, now my mind is in a much better place. The stock Bose system doesn't bother me as much as some members, but the tweeters definitely had to go! Best bang for buck upgrade for a 991 yet!

Thanks Nick! Enjoy the kits fellas!

- Jason
Old 10-28-2017, 04:38 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
On that note, if you happen to have a "Sound Package Plus" car(I know most of you are dealing with Bose, sorry), we're very close to releasing a new upgrade for you. Keep a look out for a new thread popping up this weekend with the full scoop!
Interested...
Old 11-21-2017, 04:30 PM
srleadjb
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I order these? I PM’d Nick but never received a response. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:33 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by srleadjb
How do I order these? I PM’d Nick but never received a response. Thanks!
Sorry about that, my PM inbox is a little nuts since I get a ton of messages from the server. Send me an email with your info and the details on your car. I'll get you all set up! nick.akin@musicarnw.com

Originally Posted by 911seeker
Interested...
Check this out and shoot me an email .... https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1032...lub-coupe.html
Old 12-08-2017, 12:54 PM
srleadjb
AutoX

Received mine yesterday. They were scheduled for Saturday delivery so it was a nice surprise! As everyone has said, the packaging and build quality is top notch. It felt so satisfying pulling out those plastic junk Bose tweeters and replacing them with something sold and beautiful. If the domes were not so fragile, I might have considered leaving the grills off so I could admire the look and sound.

Installation was pretty easy. The drivers side harness was a little difficult to remove from the stock tweeter but using a small sunglass screwdriver I was able to leverage it out. The new grills were also difficult to get seated. A lot of downward force is required. It was difficult to get any downward pressure because of the limited access to the space. I tried different tools to try to leverage down on the part of the grill that needed to be seated but in the end one hand on top of the other and as much downward force as I could muster from that awkward angle and they both finally seated.

I'm wondering what others are doing when it comes to the settings? Since you can change the settings for each format, are you guys finding one overall setting that you use for all sources or are you adjusting each format individually? So far to my ear, each format needs a little bit different setting to optimize the sound. I guess its dependent on the quality of the source.

The Surround and Linear thing seems to be a rabbit hole I can't get out of, constantly switching between one or the other or both depending on the song and source.

The sound is impressively better. So much so that I now notice the lack of quality bass. Overall I'm very happy with this upgrade. I would be very interested in a bass upgrade as well if someone made it available (HINT HINT @NICK)
Old 12-08-2017, 05:07 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by srleadjb
Received mine yesterday. They were scheduled for Saturday delivery so it was a nice surprise! As everyone has said, the packaging and build quality is top notch. It felt so satisfying pulling out those plastic junk Bose tweeters and replacing them with something sold and beautiful. If the domes were not so fragile, I might have considered leaving the grills off so I could admire the look and sound.

Installation was pretty easy. The drivers side harness was a little difficult to remove from the stock tweeter but using a small sunglass screwdriver I was able to leverage it out. The new grills were also difficult to get seated. A lot of downward force is required. It was difficult to get any downward pressure because of the limited access to the space. I tried different tools to try to leverage down on the part of the grill that needed to be seated but in the end one hand on top of the other and as much downward force as I could muster from that awkward angle and they both finally seated.

I'm wondering what others are doing when it comes to the settings? Since you can change the settings for each format, are you guys finding one overall setting that you use for all sources or are you adjusting each format individually? So far to my ear, each format needs a little bit different setting to optimize the sound. I guess its dependent on the quality of the source.

The Surround and Linear thing seems to be a rabbit hole I can't get out of, constantly switching between one or the other or both depending on the song and source.

The sound is impressively better. So much so that I now notice the lack of quality bass. Overall I'm very happy with this upgrade. I would be very interested in a bass upgrade as well if someone made it available (HINT HINT @NICK)
Thanks again for the order, and for the detailed review!

Releasing the wiring harnesses at the factory tweeters has been a problem for a lot of folks. I actually just did a 981 Cayman install about 30min ago and took a quick video with my phone to show how I get around the issue. I'll post that up in here later today when I get some down time. Also, when it comes to the new grilles, I recommend removing on of the non-barbed clips off your original Bose grilles and using it to replace the single problematic clip on the new Burmester versions. that will help it go into place easier and come out without having to remove the vent in the future. I will probably edit my original video at some point to include these notes along with a center channel disconnect procedure – I know some folks that have been waiting far too long for that...

As for the Surround vs Linear, if you disconnect the center channel, Surround will be horrible since it actually focuses a good amount of sound to that speaker. My favorite combination is:
  • Linear: ON
  • Surround: OFF
  • Center: DISCONNECTED
  • Subwoofer: DISCONNECTED
  • Bass: +3DB
  • TREBLE: -1DB
These setting were done on "iPod" source using my iPhone over USB. These are not going to be right for everyone, and this was also in a Cayman. The 991 might be better with Treble at 0 but it's all subjective.

Lastly, I have something in mind for the bass section, so you might see something cool after the new year if my theory proves correct.

Thanks again srleadjb, and to everyone else who's placed an order for these and other upgrades. I just got some delivery notifications so we should have a handful of others receiving their orders as well!

Nick
Old 12-11-2017, 02:37 PM
RJTGT3
5th Gear

Received and installed my kit from Nick. Sound is greatly improved and the install was very, very simple. Don't hesitate to buy this!

Not to decide whether or not I need the whole system upgrade...
Old 12-12-2017, 03:07 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RJTGT3
Received and installed my kit from Nick. Sound is greatly improved and the install was very, very simple. Don't hesitate to buy this!

Not to decide whether or not I need the whole system upgrade...
Glad the install was smooth and you're loving the sound – thanks again for the order!

Call me biased, but I think you should go for the full upgrade

Last edited by 12v Nick; 12-12-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:43 PM
911Forever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick,

Here's to hoping that your whole audio system upgrade is as easy as your tweeter upgrade.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:45 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

*bump* with a question:

I have extended dash leather in my new car, has anyone changed out their speakers and re-used their leather trimmed cover?

Old 03-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Lastly, I have something in mind for the bass section, so you might see something cool after the new year if my theory proves correct.

Nick

Waiting for my summer project!
Old 03-29-2018, 02:32 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
*bump* with a question:

I have extended dash leather in my new car, has anyone changed out their speakers and re-used their leather trimmed cover?
You can get it to work if you modify the factory grille to remove all of the Bose tweeter mounting plastics underneath. Two side effects are that you won't have the same open-grill dispersion as the Burmester would have and you wouldn't be able to revery back to factory in the future. The best option is to order a leather set for Burmester, but with Porsche parts being what they are, I envision that being a $1,000 endeavor with a 6mo waiting period. The normal grilles will still work in there, just won't have the leather and stitch work that the original extended leather grilles have.

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Waiting for my summer project!
I'll get something done eventually Dan! We have a lot going on right now with our local in-house workshop so it's tough to allot my time to anything else until we get into a more comfortable pace. I'll keep everyone posted!
Old 03-30-2018, 09:35 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

You can get it to work if you modify the factory grille to remove all of the Bose tweeter mounting plastics underneath. Two side effects are that you won't have the same open-grill dispersion as the Burmester would have and you wouldn't be able to revery back to factory in the future. The best option is to order a leather set for Burmester, but with Porsche parts being what they are, I envision that being a $1,000 endeavor with a 6mo waiting period. The normal grilles will still work in there, just won't have the leather and stitch work that the original extended leather grilles have.

Ok thanks Nick, in the end I decided to just use the standard plastic Burmester grill originally supplied with your speakers.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:35 PM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Ok thanks Nick, in the end I decided to just use the standard plastic Burmester grill originally supplied with your speakers.
Hey 1Gunner,

Another option is to call Exclusive Option and have them send you speaker covers in leather. They’re a Rennlist sponsor and seem to have a reputation for excellence. It may be a faster/easier option than sourcing from the Fatherland. Here’s a link -

http://exclusiveoption.com/

P.S. Nice car

Old 03-31-2018, 03:42 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benedict14

Hey 1Gunner,

Another option is to call Exclusive Option and have them send you speaker covers in leather. They’re a Rennlist sponsor and seem to have a reputation for excellence. It may be a faster/easier option than sourcing from the Fatherland. Here’s a link -

http://exclusiveoption.com/

P.S. Nice car

Sweet!! Thank you sir!!

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade