Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:49 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Reborn996
Nick, if this works for a GT4 count me in! Just sent you an e-mail.
Oh well, in researching this I found out the 981 (Cayman) uses different tweeter grills and maybe mounting points.

There is a Burmester option so maybe I will just have to consider that if Nick doesn't have an option himself. Nick, is a 981 on your radar for doing a kit?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:53 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
I'll weigh in again on the loose screws issue. I think I probably failed to snug them down in the first place. And it's apparently been confirmed by no other reports of screws coming loose. I've been listening for the symptoms of loose screws in the passenger side speaker and none has emerged. So I think the problem was operator error rather than the screws vibrating loose.
I'm inclined to believe that you are correct and that the screws were not "snug" enough from the beginning and that's why they came loose. From the pictures of the hardware (I haven't received mine yet) these appear to be a "Tinnerman" style speed nut and they are - by design - vibration resistant and self-locking as described in Wikipedia:

"A speed nut, aka sheet metal nut or Tinnerman nut, is a type of locknut with two sheet metal prongs that act as one thread. They are made from spring steel. The fastener serves the functions of both a lock washer and a nut. As the fastener is tightened in the nut the prongs are drawn inward until they exert pressure on the root of the thread on the fastener. When the fastener is tightened, the base of the nut, which is arched, elastically deforms and applies a force to the fastener, which locks it from loosening under vibrations."

As Nick suggests, using thread locker will probably do no harm but in my mind may not actually do much good either. Threadlocker is a "single-component adhesive" that cures in the presence of a metallic surface and anaerobically (ie in the absence of oxygen). Since the tinnerman nut doesn't really fit well to the 60 degree angle of the male fastener threads and the contact area between the male threaded part and the female nut is very small (less than one thread) there may not be enough "sealing" (or exclusion of oxygen) to obtain a proper cure. I think getting the proper torque in the first place (so the tinnerman nut works as designed) is the best safeguard against coming loose after assembly.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:24 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

My package arrived today and as shown in posts above, the kit is excellently packaged and comes with everything you need except the extra long needle nose pliers. And maybe Loctite. But after reading JR's explanation and after test fitting the speednuts, I decided to forgo the use of any thread sealant. The screws do snug down well, and by the feel of it, seem unlikely to ever back out. Just be sure to snug them down so the mounting plates are flush.

The installation went fine and taking extra time and care, took me under an hour for both sides, including moving the car so that I could open the door on the passenger side after finishing the driver side. The video as others noted is a great guide. The only thing coming close to a problem was when I snapped the retaining clip on the passenger side when twisting it off. A piece came off and the clip fell, fortunately on top of the vent tube. I managed to slide my fingers in there and retrieved it. This set me back all of a minute, but had it gone into the deep recesses of the dash, might have delayed me much more.

The new Burmester speaker grills are really a tight fit, and it takes a bit of force to seat them fully, but I managed to put enough pressure on them by adjusting my position and pushing down with my hands. So be sure to follow the instructions and test the new speakers before fitting the new grills, as I imagine they will be impossible to remove without damaging at least the same clip removed from the stock Bose speaker grills. I managed not to forget to plug them in before tightening the screws!

The sound? Well, as others have noted, it's terrific. My ears no longer hurt when I crank up the volume. The OEM speakers have a harshness that keeps you from turning up the volume very high. These sound much smoother and more detailed, even as they are, not yet broken in.

All in all, a very worthwhile, highly recommended upgrade, and an easy DIY project. Can't wait to try it under road noise conditions tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:45 AM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Got my kit today and installing them now. What is the trick to get the factory harness/connector off the stock tweeter? Don't want to break it...
Old 05-31-2017, 12:51 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slingshot60
Got my kit today and installing them now. What is the trick to get the factory harness/connector off the stock tweeter? Don't want to break it...
That was a bit perplexing, too. It was stuck in there pretty good. I thought there might be a catch holding it, so I used a small screwdriver and pried it a little. I then pulled hard, being careful to grip the connector and not pull on the wires. It came off. That was probably one of most difficult steps, because like you, I didn't want to break it.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:04 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fro
I did mine in like 3 minutes.
Pry up an edge of the grill and get your fingers under it and carefully pull it up.
Use some needle-nose pliers to disconnect the speaker wire at the speaker.
Why do you need a video??
Does the Sport Chrono clock get in the way or a problem at all?
Old 05-31-2017, 03:22 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yippie!!! Got mine in the mail, thanks Nick for all your hard work putting this together!!!

BTW, anyone interested in a set of OEM Burm's?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:16 AM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Finally got mine in last night... the wiring connectors are a bitch to get off and the devil clips are quite recalcitrant, otherwise the install went smoothly and the sound improvement is impressive. If you have the factory Bose system this is IMHO a mandatory mod. Thanks to Nick for all the hard work and effort pulling this off.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:21 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,228 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by satoru
Yippie!!! Got mine in the mail, thanks Nick for all your hard work putting this together!!!

BTW, anyone interested in a set of OEM Burm's?
Let us know if you can hear a big difference between Nick's speakers and the Burms
Old 05-31-2017, 12:21 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

Got mine yesterday as well. Now to find the time to get them installed...
Old 05-31-2017, 02:26 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
My package arrived today and as shown in posts above, the kit is excellently packaged and comes with everything you need except the extra long needle nose pliers. And maybe Loctite. But after reading JR's explanation and after test fitting the speednuts, I decided to forgo the use of any thread sealant. The screws do snug down well, and by the feel of it, seem unlikely to ever back out. Just be sure to snug them down so the mounting plates are flush.

The installation went fine and taking extra time and care, took me under an hour for both sides, including moving the car so that I could open the door on the passenger side after finishing the driver side. The video as others noted is a great guide. The only thing coming close to a problem was when I snapped the retaining clip on the passenger side when twisting it off. A piece came off and the clip fell, fortunately on top of the vent tube. I managed to slide my fingers in there and retrieved it. This set me back all of a minute, but had it gone into the deep recesses of the dash, might have delayed me much more.

The new Burmester speaker grills are really a tight fit, and it takes a bit of force to seat them fully, but I managed to put enough pressure on them by adjusting my position and pushing down with my hands. So be sure to follow the instructions and test the new speakers before fitting the new grills, as I imagine they will be impossible to remove without damaging at least the same clip removed from the stock Bose speaker grills. I managed not to forget to plug them in before tightening the screws!

The sound? Well, as others have noted, it's terrific. My ears no longer hurt when I crank up the volume. The OEM speakers have a harshness that keeps you from turning up the volume very high. These sound much smoother and more detailed, even as they are, not yet broken in.

All in all, a very worthwhile, highly recommended upgrade, and an easy DIY project. Can't wait to try it under road noise conditions tomorrow.
Thanks again for the order and for the detailed writeup! Glad the install went relatively smooth and that your enjoying the sound.

Originally Posted by slingshot60
Finally got mine in last night... the wiring connectors are a bitch to get off and the devil clips are quite recalcitrant, otherwise the install went smoothly and the sound improvement is impressive. If you have the factory Bose system this is IMHO a mandatory mod. Thanks to Nick for all the hard work and effort pulling this off.
Thank you for the order!

I should edit the video with some notes on that factory wiring plug. The fact that the one in the video has been removed and re-installed 4-5x, it definitely makes it seem like a bit of "sandbagging" on the difficulty level.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:35 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

One other good thing came out of the install... for several months I have had an irritating bass rattle I thought in the passenger side door towards the front. Took it to the dealer and they kept it a few days, took the door apart and did the technical service bulletin, etc to no avail. When I pulled the vent on that side to get to the tweeter I noticed the outer clip on the trim piece around the vent had snapped off. I JB Welded it and later re-installed everything. No more rattle!
Old 05-31-2017, 03:31 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone with existing Burmester system comment on the/any difference(s) noticed upgrading from the Burmester parts to this?

thanks!
Old 05-31-2017, 04:24 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 616 Posts

please delete, dup post.

Last edited by Joec500; 05-31-2017 at 04:25 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 05-31-2017, 04:24 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by smbryan
Can anyone with existing Burmester system comment on the/any difference(s) noticed upgrading from the Burmester parts to this?

thanks!
Previously I did the Burm Upgrade from the craptastic Bose Tweeter. HUGE improvement, these DynAudio ones are just as big of a leap, specifically around a wider sound stage and a fuller high.

It's feels more natural versus the almost artificially precise burm tweeter.

Obviously everyones ears are different so definitely take it with a grain of salt.

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade