Sponsored by:

Awe Switchpath Exhaust stuck in "loud" mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:17 AM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Awe Switchpath Exhaust stuck in "loud" mode

Hi everyone. I have had my Awe Switchpath Exhaust installed on my 991.1 Carrera S for a couple of months and have really been enjoying it. Fantastic sounding system.

I had PSE before so have the full functionality of being able to turn it from "normal" to "loud" with the press of the Exhaust button on the centre console.

A few days ago I noticed that the exhaust button wasn't opening or closing the valves as it normally does. The sound doesn't change at all anymore and is stuck in the "valves open" mode I believe. I checked when I was in the garage with the car on and windows open - when I press the Exhaust button to "on" I can hear a slight clicking sound where the Exhaust is but the sound doesn't change. No clicking sound when I turn the button off.

I had this installed at the tuning department of the dealership I bought my car and they are 45 minutes away. However, I've been servicing my car at a dealership 8 minutes away and I have an appointment for winter tire swap over and oil change tomorrow. Is this an easy fix that I can ask this dealership to remedy while it is in service tomorrow. Is it likely something came loose? Has anyone had this experience with their Switchpath Exhaust?

Thanks in advance.

Louis
Old 12-05-2016, 11:47 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 401 Posts

Sounds like a change over valve failed controlling the vacuum.

About $50 part.

Just some retated info:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ues-991-a.html
Old 12-05-2016, 12:33 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

soooooo what's the problem?

mine is always stuck in loud mode
Old 12-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Check the vacuum lines as one may have disconnected from the valves. When this happens it prevents the valves from closing.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:58 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the vac lines can easily come loose if not installed properly because the clearances especially on the drivers side valve are super tight. the ones shipped from AWE were a joke, and more like light surgical tubing prior to them (purportedly) switching to lines more like OEM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:40 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
soooooo what's the problem?

mine is always stuck in loud mode

Lol! Quite mode is only for the neighbourhood!

I'll ask the dealership to diagnose tonlook at it tomorrow.

Are the lines or switchover valves considered part of the Exhaust itself or the PSE wiring ?

I'm wondering since the AWE Exhaust is aftermarket installed at another dealer (but the PSE button and wiring is from dealership) whether this would be considered a warranty item or if they will tell me it's aftermarket and won't cover it. Does anyone have any ideas ?
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

The valves are part of the AWE exhaust and would not be a factory warranty item. The PSE button and wiring would be covered. I'm pretty sure it's just a loose vac line. Grab a flashlight and slide under your car, you should be able to see the vac lines and if they are connected proper. It possibly could have come loose at the T connector as well. (see black tubing in pic)
Old 12-05-2016, 07:45 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Code
The valves are part of the AWE exhaust and would not be a factory warranty item. The PSE button and wiring would be covered. I'm pretty sure it's just a loose vac line. Grab a flashlight and slide under your car, you should be able to see the vac lines and if they are connected proper. It possibly could have come loose at the T connector as well. (see black tubing in pic)

Thanks! I'll ask at the dealership anyway tomorrow for them to have a quick look since it's going in.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Cool. Keep us posted.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:23 AM
dkim12
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

had the same thing happen last month. Even though it was an AWE, the dealer didn't charge me anything reconnected the hose lines and said PSE was covered under warranty hehe.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:25 AM
dkim12
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

also made me realize, I don't always like it it loud mode especially on the highway. I flip it on as soon as I go on local though
Old 12-06-2016, 01:40 AM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Originally Posted by dkim12
had the same thing happen last month. Even though it was an AWE, the dealer didn't charge me anything reconnected the hose lines and said PSE was covered under warranty hehe.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:36 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Update: Just got the car back from the dealership. Apparently the vacuum lines were melted on the exhaust !!! They must have come loose and came into contact with the exhaust. This was repaired and the vacuum lines were secured (hopefully) properly.

Fortunately the dealership didn't charge me for this and put it under warranty although the service advisor did say they technically should have charged me as it was due to an installation of an aftermarket exhaust elsewhere.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:14 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Glad to hear it was an easy fix, and that was really cool of the dealer to replace the lines under warranty.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:49 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

That's the only thing that bugged me about AWE exhaust install. It didn't feel like an improvement removing the OEM steel braided vacuum lines and replacing them with chintz rubber tubing.

Quick Reply: Awe Switchpath Exhaust stuck in "loud" mode