Sponsored by:

Question about 4 year service on 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 04:08 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
As for the engine air filters, it may be worth it, since the dealerships want to remove the rear bumper cover to gain better access to the plugs, and then the fitlers are right there.
Removing the bumper cover does not help access the plugs. Removing the wheels does.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:38 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I have also been told that it is a requirement for a CPO to have any service due or upcoming in the near future performed before sale. My local salespeople and their manager have mentioned this more than once to me. This car is past due for 4 year service, officially speaking, so they shouldn't have any choice in the matter.

However.... the pertinent section in the CPO checklist is here, which seems to leave some room for interpretation I guess.

I don't know if that affects your horse-trading though. I wouldn't want to start out with it being in any need for service for sure though! So get it one way or the other.
Based on that checklist you have provided my interpretation is that if the 3/30 service was done within 10 months it would qualify as a CPO even without performing a 4 year service. If it has been greater than 10 months than the car would require the CPO???

How are you interpreting this language.

Regardless seems like a low mileage car.
Probably well taken care of.

So basically it has about 17 ? months of warranty if that's enough for the OP.

I would agree with including the service as StormRune stated.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:03 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

On a low mileage car (like the OP's example), you still want to do the plugs at the 4 year interval, because you don't want the risk of a siezed plug.
With all due respect, seized plugs is simply not a risk on a car that's a few years old and has barely done break-in miles. There really is no reason to change plugs and filters on a 3K mile 991. We all do what we need to do to sleep better at night, and maybe for some people that means throwing out parts that are only 7.5% of the way through their service life.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
With all due respect, seized plugs is simply not a risk on a car that's a few years old and has barely done break-in miles. There really is no reason to change plugs and filters on a 3K mile 991. We all do what we need to do to sleep better at night, and maybe for some people that means throwing out parts that are only 7.5% of the way through their service life.

I'm in that group. My understanding is that the replacement is required not because the usable service life of the plug is ending, but because there is accelerating risk that the plugs may seize to the threads in the head, and remove those threads when the plug is finally changed. IMHO there are two forces at work on the spark plug threads and heads: Heat cycles and time. Low mileage addresses the heat cycle count, but not the time.

Also, I think of the labor to change the plugs as irrelevant. It's going to be incurred at some point. The absolute dollar cost may be slightly higher a year or two from now, but adjusted for inflation it's probably going to be a wash. I don't anticipate anything driving up or down the labor cost of a competent tech over the next few years. So I don't think I am saving anything on labor by skipping the plugs, and that leaves only the cost of the plugs themselves. I assume that cost will be staying relatively constant also, which means the only amount in play here would be the few hundred dollars for the plugs. If I can save myself 80% or 90% of a few hundred dollars by gambling on seized plugs, I'm going to pass. Part of financial success, IMHO, is not having to take risks to save (i.e., earn) $80 to $200 dollars.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

The only problem with this argument is that plugs do not seize on four year old cars. Has it happened before in history? Probably. But it's like worrying about a heart attack when you're 20 years old.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Back in August, I asked my dealership for pricing on the 40K service, and was quoted $1,540. There's a lot of stuff in there that I don't require done (because I can do some myself [both cabin filters], and am on a different [5K] oil change schedule. So, I asked for "a la carte' pricing, too. The 2 main areas of concern for me are the spark plugs ($540) and engine air filters ($162). I'm OK with this pricing. I plan to have the work done in late Spring 2017 (in winter hibernation now) when my car will be 3 years old with about 42,000 miles.

On a low mileage car (like the OP's example), you still want to do the plugs at the 4 year interval, because you don't want the risk of a siezed plug. As for the engine air filters, it may be worth it, since the dealerships want to remove the rear bumper cover to gain better access to the plugs, and then the fitlers are right there.
Based on the DIY's it looks like there isn't really a need to remove the bumper to change plugs. Is that their normal procedure?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Based on the DIY's it looks like there isn't really a need to remove the bumper to change plugs. Is that their normal procedure?
I was wrong. Bumper cover removal is for the engine air filters.

Does bumper cover removal help with any plug access at all?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Does bumper cover removal help with any plug access at all?
Not a bit. Access is from underneath. You don't even have to take the wheels off to do the plugs. Just unbolt a heat shield on each side, remove the coils, and the plugs are right there. Very easy. Was surprised to see what the dealer charges for what is an hour job max.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:27 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
Not a bit. Access is from underneath. You don't even have to take the wheels off to do the plugs. Just unbolt a heat shield on each side, remove the coils, and the plugs are right there. Very easy. Was surprised to see what the dealer charges for what is an hour job max.
Have you done the 991 plugs yet? In ONE hour? Start to finish? From memory, most Rennlisters have reported about 2-3 hours from start to finish.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:31 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosell
I'm in that group. My understanding is that the replacement is required not because the usable service life of the plug is ending, but because there is accelerating risk that the plugs may seize to the threads in the head, and remove those threads when the plug is finally changed. IMHO there are two forces at work on the spark plug threads and heads: Heat cycles and time. Low mileage addresses the heat cycle count, but not the time.

Also, I think of the labor to change the plugs as irrelevant. It's going to be incurred at some point. The absolute dollar cost may be slightly higher a year or two from now, but adjusted for inflation it's probably going to be a wash. I don't anticipate anything driving up or down the labor cost of a competent tech over the next few years. So I don't think I am saving anything on labor by skipping the plugs, and that leaves only the cost of the plugs themselves. I assume that cost will be staying relatively constant also, which means the only amount in play here would be the few hundred dollars for the plugs. If I can save myself 80% or 90% of a few hundred dollars by gambling on seized plugs, I'm going to pass. Part of financial success, IMHO, is not having to take risks to save (i.e., earn) $80 to $200 dollars.
Plugs cost that much?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Plugs cost that much?
They're $5.55 each

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/9...190-MFG14.aspx
Old 12-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Have you done the 991 plugs yet? In ONE hour? Start to finish? From memory, most Rennlisters have reported about 2-3 hours from start to finish.
Maybe a few mins over an hour, can't remember. It's almost as easy as doing the plugs on an early 911. I have a 993 as well. Now that plug job is a PITA.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:44 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As with many things, once you've done it, the second time would take much less time. My first time it took a good 2-3 hours. I bet I could do it again in an hour.

As stated, taking off the bumper cover does not help one bit.

Quick Reply: Question about 4 year service on 991.1