Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Pre-owned 2017 Carrera from Dealer - Price?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 10:14 AM
gymdent
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Buying a Pre-owned 2017 Carrera from Dealer - Price?

I was going to custom order a heavily optioned 2017 Carrera S and wait months until I happened upon a dealer who has a 2017 Carrera in stock, pre-owned, with just under 2,000 miles. Customer who bought it decided on a new Panamera instead. List price was $105,245. They've been trying to sell it for over 3 months and I've got them down to $92,900 which they say is "firm". Nothing is firm when it comes to pricing. Especially now, a few days before Thanksgiving and the holidays coming along with snow up here on Long Island. How many nuts are looking for a rear drive sports car with summer tires this time of year in New York?

I test drove the car and it's quite nice. Enough performance for me as an occasional daily driver and autocross ride. At this point, for my needs, I'd just as soon keep the additional $30K in the bank.

Here's my question to you more experienced folks: What is this Porsche worth this time of year in the Northeast? What would you pay? I'm thinking of just waiting until the first week in December and contacting them again. Certainly, they'd want to move it by year's end. Thanks very much for your input. The car is optioned as follows:

Manual transmission, sport chrono package, sport exhaust, 20" Carrera S wheels, colored wheel center caps, lane change assist, heated multifunction steering wheel, luggage net in passenger footwell, smoking package, Porsche dynamic light system, electric glass sunroof, power folding mirrors, Bose, standard black interior and black exterior, power sports seats (14 way) with memory package, premium package, voice control.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:00 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Based upon the options, that seems like it was configured as a Launch vehicle which would have retailed at right around $120k. Does it not have PASM or Sport PASM too? A launch car would have had that, otherwise the rest of the options line up.

If you are good with the higher suspension if it doesn't have PASM (which is a deal breaker for some and may help explain the long time on the floor and the pricing), then this looks like a pretty darned good deal to me. Update: Note that PASM also includes variable shocks, but those became less of a concern on the 991 models than the 997 models for many since the non-PASM ride quality and handling improved in the 991s. You would still get more body roll when you autocross than you would have in a PASM car though, if that is a concern of yours.

Most dealers, when they do a short-term swap out for a customer that doesn't like their original choice, don't ream them nearly as much on the trade so it is likely they don't have a lot of wiggle room left. All of this is just my opinion of course. If they are CPOing it so you get the extra warranty too at that price, then all the better!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:15 PM
gymdent
Instructor

I copied the list of options straight from the build sheet. The car isn't CPO as it comes with the original warranty which is good for another 3 1/2 years. I can deal with the higher suspension as it might not be a terrible thing here in NY with our roads on Long Island in abysmal condition. I appreciate the input.

It might also be sitting around due to the manual tranny. Heavy traffic here in the New York City metro area doesn't lend itself to much enthusiasm on the buying public for anything other than automatic transmissions. I test drove a 2013 911 with manual and the heavy clutch is like driving a truck compared to my 2011 BMW M Sport Wagon with 6spd and rwd. Why on earth is it so heavy? The 2017 911's have a much lighter clutch. It's like night and day.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:25 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I bought mine in January. A dealer in Minneapolis wanted full sticker. Found a similar car in Massachusetts with more options. Got it at 7% off with delivery. If u feel the price is right, I'd agree with a CPO.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:31 PM
siitech
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Based upon the options, that seems like it was configured as a Launch vehicle which would have retailed at right around $120k. Does it not have PASM or Sport PASM too? A launch car would have had that, otherwise the rest of the options line up.

If you are good with the higher suspension if it doesn't have PASM (which is a deal breaker for some and may help explain the long time on the floor and the pricing), then this looks like a pretty darned good deal to me. Update: Note that PASM also includes variable shocks, but those became less of a concern on the 991 models than the 997 models for many since the non-PASM ride quality and handling improved in the 991s. You would still get more body roll when you autocross than you would have in a PASM car though, if that is a concern of yours.

Most dealers, when they do a short-term swap out for a customer that doesn't like their original choice, don't ream them nearly as much on the trade so it is likely they don't have a lot of wiggle room left. All of this is just my opinion of course. If they are CPOing it so you get the extra warranty too at that price, then all the better!
The 991.2 comes standard with PASM, even the base model.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

I guess it depends on your wants and needs. Going to play devil's advocate a little bit.

Are you getting caught up in getting a "deal" on a car just because it is a "deal" or do you really like this car? The newer C2S is quite a capable car, a big step up IMO vs the .1 C2S which I came from.

If you want to autocross the car is PASM or SPASM important to you? Casual or competitive?

I would get the suspension you really want and not worry about the roads.

How long do you plan to keep the car? If you really plan to keep it I would pass and get closer to what you really want.

If you are patient it won't be long before a nice 2017 C2S used car will come along.

To me getting the car as a CPO was important, I like the extra warranty.

My 17 C2S had 700 miles when I bought it and was a CPO car and it had all the sport/performance options checked except for PCCBs.

Hey man good luck either way but don't be in too big a hurry because more of these cars will be available as low mileage used cars.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:34 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gymdent
I copied the list of options straight from the build sheet. The car isn't CPO as it comes with the original warranty which is good for another 3 1/2 years. I can deal with the higher suspension as it might not be a terrible thing here in NY with our roads on Long Island in abysmal condition. I appreciate the input.

It might also be sitting around due to the manual tranny. Heavy traffic here in the New York City metro area doesn't lend itself to much enthusiasm on the buying public for anything other than automatic transmissions. I test drove a 2013 911 with manual and the heavy clutch is like driving a truck compared to my 2011 BMW M Sport Wagon with 6spd and rwd. Why on earth is it so heavy? The 2017 911's have a much lighter clutch. It's like night and day.
Wow what a difference of opinion on that clutch not to thread jack but- when I switched from the ultra light fseries bmw clutch to the 991.1 heavy hitter it felt sooo right, I kept saying to myself why doesn't bmw do it right - i guess truly YMMV
Old 11-20-2016, 01:13 PM
gymdent
Instructor

Let's face it, when it comes to cars we each have our preferences as to ride, handling, performance and looks....not to mention practical needs.

As for autocrossing, I did it avidly for many years but remarriage and business put a cramp on my weekends. For the past 8 years I've been competing with my team at the 3 or 4 yearly 24 Hours of Lemons races http://www.24hoursoflemons.com here in the Northeast. Right now I'd only be autocrossing as a very occasional thing, especially since I sold my Rx-8 and Miata, both modified.

What the dealer told me is that if I wanted the car CPO'd it would be nearly $5K more. I'm not sure it's worth it for another couple of years from the delivery date. In my mind I'd like to keep the car for a few years until the next generation 9111 comes out in 2019. For my needs and enjoyment right now, I truly have not convinced myself that spending another $30,000 to $40,000 dollars for one more kick-*** would give me enjoyment commensurate with the up-charge.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:18 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

What the dealer told me is that if I wanted the car CPO'd it would be nearly $5K more. I'm not sure it's worth it for another couple of years from the delivery date. In my mind I'd like to keep the car for a few years until the next generation 9111 comes out in 2019. For my needs and enjoyment right now, I truly have not convinced myself that spending another $30,000 to $40,000 dollars for one more kick-*** would give me enjoyment commensurate with the up-charge.
This appears to be a good buy on a nice base 991.2 that will get you from now until the 992 comes along. I say go for it!!!
Old 11-20-2016, 01:22 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

I think $92,900 is about right. I would imaging 10-12% off MSRP. Mileage is very low. At $95k with CPO they will sell it without trouble.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:54 PM
gymdent
Instructor

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I think $92,900 is about right. I would imaging 10-12% off MSRP. Mileage is very low. At $95k with CPO they will sell it without trouble.
That's a thought when it comes to closing the deal. $5,000 for CPO? Is that the usual charge?
Old 11-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

That's a thought when it comes to closing the deal. $5,000 for CPO? Is that the usual charge?
$3K is the norm.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:03 PM
gymdent
Instructor

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2016, 09:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

$5k iin costs for them isn't unusual WHEN the car had major service items coming due and/or new tires. But this car is too new for all of that. I'd agree that around $3k is the norm for just the CPO and inspection. I've heard this multiple times and experienced it once.

About four years ago $3k was the discount on the table with a Carrera I was buying if I passed on the CPO, so maybe it would be a little more now... but not $5k unless they can explain a lot of service work to CPO it. My dealer has shown me all of the costs and paperwork for the CPO prep when I've asked for it. I'd ask them to qualify how they get to $5k with such a new car. I did buy the CPO though. If you think you'll trade the car in before the original warranty expires then you can skip it.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:28 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siitech
The 991.2 comes standard with PASM, even the base model.
Oh, and it appears that I'll need to retract my PASM statement. I don't know if it was a possible delete by whoever ordered it... but probably not?

Quick Reply: Buying a Pre-owned 2017 Carrera from Dealer - Price?