Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7MT Noises

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016 | 12:40 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AG911
My 2012.5 7mt does the same. This happens when you quickly shift into 1st from neutral. But if you slowly or gently shift, taking your time, you can avoid the thump.
I've taken it in before and the tech said it's "normal."
That is exactly what happens. On I took the car out for a spin last night and tried what Greg suggested by making sure the clutch was firmly on the floor before shifting, but I still had the same result. I'm actually happy to hear that you had a tech look at yours that the sound is considered normal.

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
This has been covered in another thread, sorry I couldn't find it, I tried

First the sound: Are you referring to the thunk you hear after you engage the clutch at the moment you feel the gear engage? If so then this is most likely normal behavior - there are a lot of us with this issue (thus the other thread I couldn't find)

Possible cause: Remember that the 991 MT is based on the PDK transmission, as such it has two main drive shafts (not sure what the official name is, but you get the point), one for the odd gears and one for the even gears. When you approach a stop light, put the gear box in neutral and wait for the light, the drive shaft loses its spinning momentum and stops. Now when you engage first gear, with the clutch in, the gear synchros cause the drive shaft to spin up a bit, their synchronization and engagement is the 'thunk'.

The experiment: I found this interesting in my car, you need an open space to try this.
> Roll towards a stop in 2nd gear, slip the gearbox into neutral, come to a complete stop, push clutch, and engage 1st - I get a 'thunk' sound.
> Roll toward a stop in 3rd gear, slip the gearbox into neutral, come to a complete stop, push clutch, engage 1st - I get no 'thunk'.
> Roll toward a stop in 3rd gear, slip the gearbox into neutral, come to a complete stop, now sit for at least 30 seconds, push clutch, engage 1st - I get a 'thunk'

Note the YMMV: You may referring to a different sound, or your car may not has the 'feature' I described. But others have and it's been covered somewhere else in the depth of RL threads.

Happy hunting
Thanks for the comprerhensive post, Jabs! I also tried serching but didnt have any luck, so thanks LEX for finding those threads. While I do hear some noise while engaging the clutch somtimes, the sound I hear is before clutch engagement, however everything you said makes perfect sense. The thunk is heard while shifting into gear while the clutch pedal is still pressed to the floor. I will definately try what you suggested, it should be an interesting test.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
One thing I noticed on this car that was kind of different for me was that it doesn't mind going into first at speeds under 10 MPH or so. And it doesn't like a rolling start in second from about 5...,not enough torque.

As a result, I find myself slotting it into first as I roll up to a stop, foot on brake, clutch depressed. If I can go quickly I go, or briefly hold the clutch. If it's a long wait, I'll shift to neutral and clutch out.

Perhaps it's because I am shifting to first while still in motion that when I shift to neutral and back into first that I've never heard a clunk?
Makes sense, and I've experienced the same.

Thank you everyone for the replies.
Old 11-11-2016 | 11:22 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Based on current theory, which seems to be holding true, that would be the case - no clunks for you as long as you pass through first while still in motion
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Good to know!

I will play around with it this weekend and see if I get any clunking but I haven't noticed any to date!

Played around tonight and mine definitely clunks. Pretty light, but it's there. Totally eliminated b shifting to first while still in motion.
Old 11-18-2016 | 07:36 PM
rye595
Advanced

I'm the one that posted that second thread. With 5k miles, mine still does it. If I wait just a second or two before easing into first, it doesn't clunk. Kind of annoying, but I've learned to live with it.
Old 01-10-2017 | 11:17 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Resurrecting this tread. The clunk is annoying. Still only avoiding it by shifting into first when rolling.

Anyone ever get this fixed?
Old 01-11-2017 | 06:19 PM
jadoca
Intermediate

Mine does that too occasionally. I don't think I have had it happen if I increase the RPM ever so slightly like 1 bar on the tach or so before I shift into first.

Quick Reply: 7MT Noises