Old 11-09-2016 | 10:32 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Default Motor Trend's head to head 991.2 S vs C7 Grand Sport

Old 11-09-2016 | 12:02 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Bottom line....both are really, really good cars, and they think the 991.2 is almost early perfect.

Great times.
Old 11-09-2016 | 02:01 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Too bad they were not running the same tires.

C2S > GT3
Old 11-09-2016 | 02:24 PM
porsche42
Racer

Yeah the headliner in the Vette fell off, after only 3k miles. Yikes, continues the trend that the new Vettes are having QA issues.

Why don't they just mount the same tires in both cars just so that the variable is eliminated. Same goes for the transmission.

But you need to give some kudos to Vette for cost per performance. What's really funny to me is that the Porsche now is the quicker car from 0-60 and the 1/4 mile and loses in the figure 8 test. So opposite to what I was used to growing up. Showing my age!
Old 11-09-2016 | 04:15 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Nice video

but like others already said

this comparisons are getting worthless when done on diferent tires
Old 11-09-2016 | 04:18 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by porsche42
But you need to give some kudos to Vette for cost per performance.
I just bought a new 2017 Corvette (not GS) for less than half of what I paid new for my 2014 991 S coupe.

I've owned five 911s and this is my fifth Corvette. So I'm used to the uncommunicative steering and potential for uncontrollable power oversteer in the Chevy.

They are both great cars, but in their own way.
Old 11-09-2016 | 04:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Yeah the headliner in the Vette fell off, after only 3k miles. Yikes, continues the trend that the new Vettes are having QA issues.

Why don't they just mount the same tires in both cars just so that the variable is eliminated. Same goes for the transmission.

But you need to give some kudos to Vette for cost per performance. What's really funny to me is that the Porsche now is the quicker car from 0-60 and the 1/4 mile and loses in the figure 8 test. So opposite to what I was used to growing up. Showing my age!
Yup. My brother owned a last generation Vette. From a performance perspective and fun factor it was awesome. But from a build quality/annoyance perspective, it was a nightmare. Powertrain-wise it was bulletproof, but lots of little problems all over the car made the experience less than satisfying. He'd never buy one again.

I'm a Chevy truck/SUV zealot, think they're the best in the business. Also think the Cadillac lineup has been massively underrated for a long time. But I just think the execution of the sports cars leaves something to be desired. It surprises me that they can't get things really right interior wise and quality wise, given how awesome the powertrains are at this point. Then again, they are a massive bargain for the performance. What's that old saying about picking two of quality/fast/cheap?
Old 11-09-2016 | 05:41 PM
mdork
Instructor

MT guys make great videos - thanks for sharing - was fun to watch.

Shocking that Randy made the .2 C2S go faster around a track than a GT3. And 3.1 to 60? Did I see that right? All in a car you can squeeze your kids into and daily drive in comfort. Incredible.

I'm also a fan of the C7 GS. It is to Corvette what the GTS is to Porsche. The best Vette to buy and looks the business.
Old 11-09-2016 | 06:07 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Another sibling that the 991.1 beat...

Also - Chevy has gotten wise to putting great tires on their cars for this very reason.
Old 11-09-2016 | 06:14 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by mdork
MT guys make great videos - thanks for sharing - was fun to watch.

Shocking that Randy made the .2 C2S go faster around a track than a GT3. And 3.1 to 60? Did I see that right? All in a car you can squeeze your kids into and daily drive in comfort. Incredible.

I'm also a fan of the C7 GS. It is to Corvette what the GTS is to Porsche. The best Vette to buy and looks the business.
You saw it right - 3.1 seconds. Wow. And Randy drove the MT base C2 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. I really don't need to get to the next traffic light any faster than that.
Old 11-09-2016 | 06:23 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Great video!! The Grand Sport certainly appeals to me and i spec'd one for $76k.
Old 11-09-2016 | 06:33 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Too bad they were not running the same tires.

C2S > GT3

Originally Posted by RODOLFO04
Nice video

but like others already said

this comparisons are getting worthless when done on diferent tires
I think the comparisons of the numbers are worthless given the differential between tires and transmission. I mean, Porsche PDK launch control is spooky good.

Having said that, I don't really even bother with the numbers any more, as long as they are comparable to each other. I pay more attention to the car during the action, the driver, and what they are saying (fun, not fun, touchy, stable, etc.). Just as you can watch a P90D beat a Ferrari in the Quarter, but you see it's all in the first 500', after that the Ferrari is reeling in the Tesla fast.

Same way with the Corvette...0-60 and Quarter are hampered MT vs. PDK w/ Launch Control. And while the figure 8 times are better for the Corvette, it's the way that it goes through it that impresses me the most....the absolute time is down to the tire, but the attitude and prowess is beyond just the tires.
Old 11-09-2016 | 06:40 PM
Amiroo39
Rennlist Member

Still can't believe the .2 is faster than a GT3 and the .1 Turbo.
Old 11-10-2016 | 01:18 PM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I just bought a new 2017 Corvette (not GS) for less than half of what I paid new for my 2014 991 S coupe.

I've owned five 911s and this is my fifth Corvette. So I'm used to the uncommunicative steering and potential for uncontrollable power oversteer in the Chevy.

They are both great cars, but in their own way.
MJBird993, how have you liked it so far? I keep reading that these cars are a big step up and would be interested to know what you think, especially compared to your 991 S.

Has anybody else here had any seat time in the GS? Very curious about this car and it will be a hard option to ignore if they are able to deliver reliable performance out of it.
Old 11-11-2016 | 08:47 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by gyh
MJBird993, how have you liked it so far? I keep reading that these cars are a big step up and would be interested to know what you think, especially compared to your 991 S.
It's not fair to compare a $114K car with a $58K car, but I'll try.

I had full cow in the 911, the Corvette (base trim) has faux leather (vinyl) trim on the dash and doors, and it's a huge improvement over earlier versions' hard plastic.

We all know what comes standard in the 911. The Corvette does not have navigation standard, but it does come with sat radio, works with Apple Car and Android Auto, and you get 3 or 4 or 5 free months of On-Star, which you can use to get directions loaded to the car. It also has a wi-fi hotspot.

It has 450 HP (460 with sport exhaust). PSE is what, $2950 on the 991.2 and it was $1200 on the Chevy. 7-speed manual is nice. No comparison to the Porsche (they've always had the best) and there is no lock-out for seventh gear from lower gears as in the 911. Rev-matching is standard and works (or can be turned off) in any mode.

The ride in the Chevy is better. I like to get as much comfort as I can. The seats are a little too soft for those of us used to German firmness, but I drove it home to NC from NH (800 miles) and had no backache or other issues. And that's the basic seat with no lumbar or other adjustments.

The handling is excellent, but it surely does not communicate what it's doing like a Porsche does. The steering is better than in earlier versions, but with those wide tires and electric assist, it's still not up to BMW or Porsche levels. I did not care for the... oh I forgot the acronym for the dynamic rear-end steering that the car does with the brakes... handling of the 991. It brings the rear end in more than in a normal car, and I don't like that. I like to have some natural slip, which I know is something that Porsche has been trying to engineer out because of all of that rear weight bias.

The infotainment system is finally in the 21st century, and it seems to work well. It sounds better than the base system that was in my 991, but that's not saying much.

You can configure the instrument panel with 6 or 8 different displays, from normal to track to priorities for nav or audio or phone. When I first saw the C7 and the "video game" display, I thought it was silly and cheap. Now that I've had something similar in my BMW I'm getting used to these things and it's not so bad. Even in standard mode I get all of the important gauges (oil pressure and temperature, water temp, etc.) and it gives me tire temperature as well as pressures (although it's not specific, it just says "warm" or "cold" or "hot", although I haven't seen the latter yet).

The engine has a idle that makes you think it's got a serious cam in there, it rocks and shakes, but once you are moving it is very smooth and has excellent torque and power. The shifter is heavier and takes more effort than the Porsche, but it's very tight (no slop) and the clutch take-up is even and progressive.

The top comes out - targa style, and fits in the hatch area. It's now made out of carbon fiber, so it only weighs like 8 pounds. Before, it was a challenge for one person to handle it.

I sold my 2014 Boxster S back to the dealer this past August and got more for it than I paid for my brand new 2017 Corvette in October. Deals can be had on these. There is no better performance bang for the buck. Hopefully a lot of the issues that they've been having will be worked out by now.

There are sections in the owner's manual that tell you how to set up the car and brakes for use on the track. More for the GS and Z51 cars really, but they know why people buy these things.

I've owned 5 911s, a 964, 993, 996 (cab) 997 and the 991, a Boxster and Panamera. I've now owned 5 Corvettes, two C4s, a C5 Z06, C6 and now the C7. I love Porsche, I love how they drive, the quality of the build, but I hate their prices. It's gotten out of hand.

The Corvette gets a lot more compliments and comments from people in parking lots, gas stations, etc. I think that's partly due to it being an American icon, but also because there is a lot of baggage associated with the image of a Porsche, so people instantly assume that you are a *****.

The Chevy equivalent to Porsche Entry & Drive is standard. One thing I like is that you can set it to lock automatically after you walk away with the fob. It won't do it if the fob is still in the car.

So, to recap:

Chevy: less expensive, fun to drive, comfortable.
Porsche: very expensive, more refined, fun to drive.

For me, personally, the Corvette is more exciting and causes me less anxiety. I've owned several of them, and an awful lot of BMWs, so when little crap goes wrong I don't get all worked-up over it.

Also, I'm lucky that my local dealer sells a lot of Corvettes, so when I do need to take it in for service, odds are that they've actually worked on a Corvette before and it's nothing new. People living out in the sticks or in areas where they're not so common have been known to complain that simple things like oil changes get screwed up (the GS/Z06 have a dry sump and require a different refill procedure).

Oh, and the first three oil changes (you decide when) are free.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend's head to head 991.2 S vs C7 Grand Sport