Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remove or battery maintainer 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 09:17 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes , it takes about 90 seconds to disconnect. I give you that one.

the car is in my home garage(Attached to my house)...so its as secure as it can get (considering my handy shot gun nearby)

The doors are left unlocked AND the frunk is left halfway open ( a piece of cloth will prevent it from closing all the way...) .
Old 12-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by aljus
Yes , it takes about 90 seconds to disconnect. I give you that one.

the car is in my home garage(Attached to my house)...so its as secure as it can get (considering my handy shot gun nearby)

The doors are left unlocked AND the frunk is left halfway open ( a piece of cloth will prevent it from closing all the way...) .
Do yourself a favor and buy the trickle charger!
It just may keep you out of jail, in the unfortunate event that you decide to shoot somebody because they tried stealing your Porsche!
Old 12-11-2016, 09:37 PM
aljus
Advanced

lolllllll.......you maybe right.

not to be argumentative , if the alarm goes off then what would anyone do????? p.s.: I live in the country
Old 12-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by aljus
lolllllll.......you maybe right.

not to be argumentative , if the alarm goes off then what would anyone do????? p.s.: I live in the country
I exercise my 2nd amendment right but using excessive/deadly force, unless your life is in immediate danger, is no bueno.
Call the cops and try a citizen's arrest but do not discharge unless you're out of options.

It's only a car, not a loved one.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:00 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

My type of guy. Shot first than ask questions later. That aside. I would be worried about the DME lithium battery dieing. Loosing the basic programing would have me worried.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:08 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
My type of guy. Shot first than ask questions later. That aside. I would be worried about the DME lithium battery dieing. Loosing the basic programing would have me worried.
Well, if you want to be a pain in the ****, you could put an arrow in the thief's buttocks!
Old 12-12-2016, 12:17 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 436 Posts

Why should you even use a battery maintainer/ trickle charger ?????? I have been disconnecting the + cable from my battery every winter for MANY years and reconnect when I am ready to drive again, no problems what so ever......why mess around with all these unnecessary stuff ?

Maybe I am missing something.....Appreciate any comments.
That worked on older 911's but the 991 needs constant voltage to maintain all the computer systems. Disconnecting either of the cables even for a few minutes will force you to the dealer to reset everything and eliminate the messages.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:40 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
Disconnecting either of the cables even for a few minutes will force you to the dealer to reset everything and eliminate the messages.
On two separate occasions I've left my battery disconnected overnight with no adverse affects - no messages or reset required. YMMV.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:39 AM
aljus
Advanced

That is what I have done with my other porsches and my recent 991 for many years and never had to reset or lost anything and never went to dealer for any issues related to this practice....

Bemo, when you live in the country it takes the police a lot longer to get to the scene than when you live in the city, in my case about 20 minutes or so.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:40 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by RONGLOS
Schumacher SC-1200A-CA. Been using it for years.
I'm using my CTEK 4300 as shown. I have a Schumaker but it is not smart enough for my Porsche AGM battery.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:56 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

I store my old Porsche 911's with a battery charger.

I drive my new 991.1. >>It's a great car.<<
Old 02-22-2017, 08:39 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

OK I recently purchased a Porsche trickle charger (looks identical to many of those shown in this thread).

I have the following problem - (1) I plug the charger into the 12V connector in the footwell -(2) I plug the charger into the wall mains outlet socket (3) click the mode button until the standard "car" (not Lion, not motorcycle) led is lit. (4) wait and the top row of LEDS becomes active and the yellow light is "on" the three quarters charged battery. All well and good

After half an hour or so all lights go off and the green "on" light flashes - basically it doesn't seem to get to the full battery/ maintenance part of the cycle.

Any thoughts, anyone had a similar issue?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:04 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
OK I recently purchased a Porsche trickle charger (looks identical to many of those shown in this thread).

I have the following problem - (1) I plug the charger into the 12V connector in the footwell -(2) I plug the charger into the wall mains outlet socket (3) click the mode button until the standard "car" (not Lion, not motorcycle) led is lit. (4) wait and the top row of LEDS becomes active and the yellow light is "on" the three quarters charged battery. All well and good

After half an hour or so all lights go off and the green "on" light flashes - basically it doesn't seem to get to the full battery/ maintenance part of the cycle.

Any thoughts, anyone had a similar issue?
The use of the footwell connector has been discussed with varied opinions. According to the implications on the Porsche TEquipment site for the charger, you must use the cigarette lighter plug for charging (I assume they mean the center armrest one since you don't light cigarettes with the other one). I further assume this is because they expect that the footwell one disconnects after a timeout period. There are many here that insist the footwell one stays live though when a charger is used, and maybe it does on some cars. So I believe you are seeing the results of the footwell charger disconnecting. If you have the one in the console use that. If not, the TEquipment site sells an adapter for connecting straight to the battery or you can just use the CTEK direct connect as well. Suncoast also sells a retrofit for the smoker's package hookup as another alternative.

Here are the pertinent statements on the TEquipment site:

Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^^^^

Storm rune - thanks for this - I was aware the sockets closed off after 30mins - I assumed this wouldn't be the case when charging. Looks like I'll go and get the adaptor.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:27 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
^^^^^^^

Storm rune - thanks for this - I was aware the sockets closed off after 30mins - I assumed this wouldn't be the case when charging. Looks like I'll go and get the adaptor.
Randr: Just a brief follow-up. Are you sure you don't have an outlet inside the console at the back? I could see it might be easy to miss. I don't have the smoker's package, so I don't know why my car would have it and others wouldn't. Just wondering. I know when I use that one, the status lights on my CTEK 3300 behave just like they should, but when I use the footwell one I get quick-flashing error status reports after a while.

Quick Reply: remove or battery maintainer 991.1