also the salesman was around 250 LB
I laughed at this.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Also re: brakes -- don't expect to "feel" anything different on the brakes. Both are outstanding. They are probably indistinguishable in test drive stops. On track or on a long mountain drive, the S brakes will stay gooder longer, and that's where the value is. But for single stops around town, Base and S won't be any different.
Exactly - for regular use, the friction of the tires is the limiting factor in braking. Both base and S brakes are strong enough to lock the wheels from a fairly high speed (triggering ABS). S brakes show their value at the track where they will have higher thermal limits.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Exactly - for regular use, the friction of the tires is the limiting factor in braking. Both base and S brakes are strong enough to lock the wheels from a fairly high speed (triggering ABS). S brakes show their value at the track where they will have higher thermal limits.
Agree to a point, but the quality of a brake setup is a lot more than how it performs at the limit, threshold braking. Almost any car you can buy can lock the brakes just as fast as any Porsche can.

Brake power, feel and linearity are valuable at every level of braking force and the ability to dial in a lot of controlled braking, with minimal effort is a huge positive IMO. Aside from the thermal qualities, which are valuable in sporty street situations - not just track, the ability to scrub high speed effortlessly and accurately is a major plus in terms of driving enjoyment. As you move along the continuum from base to S to PCCB, the ability to control your braking, and in turn your speed and your car, improves. For me, I notice it in how much more accurately I can set my corner entry speed with PCCBs versus the base brakes in my Cayman S. They have so much better feel at speed that I know exactly what I'm going to get for every ounce of pressure, versus the Cayman where it's a bit of a guess/more wooden feel.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:33 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I drove several 991.1's before buying also. Discovered that a 911 with PDK and Sport Chrono felt faster than a 911S manual but that a 911S with PDK and Sport Chrono was the way to go (and is sitting in my garage now ).
Old 11-09-2016, 01:32 AM
nariman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am curious what S PDK would feel like
Old 11-09-2016, 08:32 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by nariman
i am curious what S PDK would feel like
An 991.1 S or GTS PDK in Sport+ at WOT is a car that feels very fast when banging off shifts. If you want a real taste of it, use launch control -- that allows you to avoid the low-torque portion of the powerband, launch in the meat of it, and stay there the whole time. It is a rocket.

Of course, other than the very occasional test launch in a remote location (launch control is very loud), no one ever uses it in real life. But it will give you a taste.

On paper Porsche claims the GTS PDK as a 3.8 second car (and they're notoriously conservative compared to many magazine tests). I had a 996 Turbo X50 a couple cars ago, and Porsche listed that car as a 3.8 second car also. But they couldn't be farther apart in the real world. The Turbo had almost 150 more pounds-feet of torque, and didn't require any sort of launch technique. The GTS only approaches that number because of launch control and the amazing speed of PDK shifts.

But man, is it a fun ride! And remember, the Sport+ button changes everything.

Quick Reply: test drove 991 s